Hurricane Long 5

5 out of 5 rating for Hurricane Long 5

This is a great blade, high quality packaging with testing card which tells you weight of blade at £100 it's good value for money.
Extremely fast blade but with good control at close and far distance from table.
a blade most definitely worth investing in.
My personal overall rating 9.4/10

This user has no status.

It is a blade that balances all the aspects of an attacking player attributes. It is very fast
but with good control. It is consistent enough and also good for attacking from mid and far table. It's
weight is comfortable for switching between backhand and forehand. It is also good for control. Its only
disadvantage is that it is very expensive,, though it gives you value for your money. I'd advise it for offensive players. Its combination
is generally good with most rubbers.

Reactions: Dan

Coming from the Ma long 1, so i adapted very well, this blade is very fast, great control, and very nice feel, not only good for looping but return short ball as well. Good craftsmanship, very well packaging , very solid blade. Great for both wings looper , over all its a very good blade.

I've bought the next version hurricane long w997 and it is simply amazing. It has speed control but at the beginning when I used hurricane 3 nat. version it was really hard for me to produce speed even impossible but after I boosted the rubber it was okay. The biggest con of this blade is that it is really heavy and when you put 2 rubbers it goes around 200 grams and in the first 2-3 weeks the arm and even the whole hand hearts a lot. This blade is more for a professional players, if you are new to the sport I don't recommend it.

was earlier using carbonado 190 with black-rasant[FH] and red-aurus_soft[BH] until I decided to try HL-5.
Seems to be a very good blade indeed !!
I am using black-rasant_power_grip [FH] and red-tibhar 5Q_update [BH] and it is proving to be a lovely combination. The throw angle of the blade is medium types as it is not overly stiff
The combo provides enough control for close to the table shots on both FH and backhand. I can easily lift backspin using FH and the ball stays close to net height..
thanks partially to the grip of Andro rubber and partially to the control the blade offers. It is also very convenient to do banana flicks from BH and the ball does not easily overshoot. This was slightly troublesome with carbonado 190 which was very stiff and low throw (though that helped tremendously in close table drives and blocks) (difficulty in playing these over-the-table backhand shots forced me to try HL-5 rather than sticking to 190) .. chops are controlled. blocking is also good, not the best considering the fact that I was using carbonado 190, which was amazing in this aspect. The handle is a bit thin, so it will suit you well if you have small palm size (my case..!!... this is a big reason for me to switch to HL-5 from 190.... somehow the flare in stiga handles feels inconvenient to me....personal issue though) , but the only downside I can see as of now is a bit of head heaviness....this turns advantageous when you play power shots (loop drives from mid/far).
Cheers !!
Aditya.

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.

This blade is one of the best in the current (commercial) DHS offering.

It is mostly sold with FL handle, although some CHinese websites seem to sell ST versions.

It weights +/- 93 grams, so not a light blade. The blade face dimensions are also slightly bigger than most. BTY blades are generally 157x150mm, and this HL5 is 160x151. However, the balance of the blade is very good and once in hand, it is not head heavy at all, even when fitted with rubbers (currently Omega V Pro and Vega Asia).

The blade is composed of the following layers Limba - Limba - ALC - Ayous - ALC - Limba - Limba. This is similar to the BTY Innerforce ALC, but the HL5 is stiffer.
The blade thickness, at 5.9 mm, is similar to many popular blades.

The throw is medium, so the blade will match most rubbers depending on style. With high (ish) throw rubbers, it's a looping machine, while with a medium throw rubbers, it's great for blocking.

The blade quality is very high the finish is excellent and it comes in a very nice box, with an individual "blade ID card" with dimensions, weight, thickness and serial number.

The limba outer layer give it a nice dwell and facilitate spin. It is very easy to control, and is very stable as you play with more power.
There are some vibrations, enough to get good feedback from your shot.

This blade is expensive, but you will find it discounted sometimes from reputable shops.

Is it the best blade I ever played with? Very likely. Not for beginners though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews

The first couple of FH drives quickly revealed that the DHS Hurricane Long 5 is an OFF+ blade as several of my drives flew well past the end of the table, even when using the relatively slow Hurricane 8 FH rubber. However, once I reduced my swing speed, I was able to play FH drives with high consistency. The Hurricane Long 5 is a medium-stiff blade, but the feeling on ball impact is dampened and woody and not particularly hard – I would categorize it as medium to medium-hard, being slightly more solid than typical 7-ply all-wood blades. While I tend to prefer all-wooden blades, I must admit that the Hurricane Long 5 offers a pleasant feeling for a composite blade. This is probably because the composite layer surrounds the core, rather than being placed directly underneath the outer ply....

Read our full
DHS Hurricane Long 5 review here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews

I don't understand that so many players still think this is a super fast blade. That is really weird. Speedwise I would put it in the (lower) off range. It's first and foremost a blade that supports a close to the table/mid distance topspin game. It was made for that. It has a woody, natural feeling to it,. The carbon only kicks in when you hit hard or when you block powerful shots from your opponents. This blade is very balanced indeed. I would recommend it to anyone who loves 5-ply allwood blades but looks for something that is more stable in blocking and counter spinning (especially with the 40+ plastic ball). The only down side is the price, apart from that, it's a really good blade.