How to play DHS Hurricane H3 blue sponge province?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Could we get a video of what it is you're having trouble with? I use Provincial Blue Sponge and have been for over a year now and it's hands down the best service rubber I've ever used. It's also the best in about every other category as well: Pushing, Looping, Driving, Chopping, Blocking. The only category that it won't win at is flat smashing, but I would just twiddle to my Maxxx if that is needed.

For service my 2500 coach says my serve is pretty high level. I do a reverse pendulum underspin serve that 5 2400+ players have put into the net several times either from misreading it or because they don't expect a 1500 player to serve with so much spin.

I completely put that on the H3. It's hands down the spinniest rubber out there for forehand technique. As far as not having enough speed this depends on your stroke as Carl said and also the type of glue you use. If you have more elastic glue (dian chi, haifu, finezip, dhs) you will get more of a bounce than other non elastic water based glues (x glue, xiom glue, stiga glue, bty freechak etc) because those glues are more amonia based and dry less elastic.

Another option if you wish to try it is to boost the glue. This will soften the sponge and provide more of a bounce, but also give it more control.

Hopefully you can get a video up and we can see what issues you're specifically talking about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Both done with the same rubber. Sorry bout misleading info.
And I'm not sure why there's 2 different scenario.
You can't compared apples with oranges.

Both is good, depending on what you are trying to achieve.

So basically, you can't compared hard sponge/tacky vs soft sponge/non tacky.
Totally 2 different things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Could we get a video of what it is you're having trouble with? I use Provincial Blue Sponge and have been for over a year now and it's hands down the best service rubber I've ever used. It's also the best in about every other category as well: Pushing, Looping, Driving, Chopping, Blocking. The only category that it won't win at is flat smashing, but I would just twiddle to my Maxxx if that is needed.

For service my 2500 coach says my serve is pretty high level. I do a reverse pendulum underspin serve that 5 2400+ players have put into the net several times either from misreading it or because they don't expect a 1500 player to serve with so much spin.

I completely put that on the H3. It's hands down the spinniest rubber out there for forehand technique. As far as not having enough speed this depends on your stroke as Carl said and also the type of glue you use. If you have more elastic glue (dian chi, haifu, finezip, dhs) you will get more of a bounce than other non elastic water based glues (x glue, xiom glue, stiga glue, bty freechak etc) because those glues are more amonia based and dry less elastic.

Another option if you wish to try it is to boost the glue. This will soften the sponge and provide more of a bounce, but also give it more control.

Hopefully you can get a video up and we can see what issues you're specifically talking about.

I dont have video camera. maybe you guys(Rajah & Richard) can take video to share, a correct strokes for me to study?
Currently, I just bought a new darker cpen J Speed 90 to test the H3 from previous old blade
Malin Soft Carbon. Feeling of the new blade very good, just lasted for a single day.
Lastly,(2nd days of playing) the spin & power seem reduce compare
to Malin blade. I don't what is the issue here? due to blade/glue etc?
I'm using Finezip WBG.

I guess my problems of H3 due to the technique/strokes, and in the process of learning how to use chinese rubbers.

many thanks for the help...much appreciated.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Rajah and Tony are telling it like it is.

H3 will not make very much of a bounce from such a test. That is one of the reasons why such a combination is nice for short control if you see spin/placement and get there early.

Although such a bounce test shows not so much rebound, it isn't an indication of how it performs in strokes vs loops or drives with a full swing hitting through the ball. In that situation, you get an explosion of speed and spin if your stroke, timing and impact were correct enough.

Ironically, with the rumored bounce test, a player could get a comfy OFF blade, slap on a sheet of H3 (even boosted, the bounce test will show a lame bounce) pass the bounce test, then still be a beast of powerful rebound in match play.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Someone already said it, on serves, regardless of the rubber, it is all about making at the time of impact a very fast bat and thin contact. That requires a lot of training, learning, trying, correcting, re-learning and adjusting your timing and stroke. Once you get how to impact the ball and make your acceleration max out right at impact, you will see nice spin with whatever rubber you use.

Of course, some rubber will spin better than others, but I can tell you firsthand, even with plain ole Aurus on FH, I can make a chop serve short that will get half my opponents to drop it into the net. They look at their bat, shrug, and go back to battle. I give them the heavy one again later, sometimes it is still bumped into net, sometimes they return it safely (which I was expecting and am ready) so I can attack it. Once they learn I can make very heavy cut spin, on that serve, they are ready for HEAVY underspin. That is exactly the time to start pulling the carpet out from under them by serving my best serve... NO-SPIN disguised as medium underspin. I cannot tell you how well that either gets me points right away or how many quality attacking chances it gives me.

Point is that yes, some rubbers do a better job on the serve, but if your technique is good, you can generate heavy spin with any inverted rubber, outside of anti. One also must consider the range and frequency of what strokes one will perform. So when selecting a FH rubber, one considers all these things and selects a rubber that will be capable of handling all situations you expect to encounter OK (a sriver type rubber... I use Aurus as a modern alernative) or a rubber that can do a few things really well, but compromise on a few areas (like many of the modern rubbers, Calibra LT is a good example, great vs incoming loops, great to smash, but more difficult on openers).

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It is hard for me to just send you a video of a correct stroke because timing and just different body types will change stroke. I would need to see your stroke to give advice on how to correct it. Maybe borrow a camera from a friend or even use a phone camera? I can send some links to chinese strokes, but they are so much more advanced than what I recommend you training in.