Boosting with baby oil

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I used to use vulcanizing glue because it was cheaper than speed glue and was basically the same thing. Worked great on Bryce. I wouldn't try it on any expensive modern rubbers because there's a good chance it would really mess them up. But then again, in the days of speed glue-all robbers were pretty good it all depended on the quality of your glue job. Back in those days we used to glue up each day that we played. And some days the glue effect would be better than others --- for who knows what reason?? The table tennis gods? Also, speed glue was the great equalizer for rubbers. You could take almost any kind of cheap rubber and if you used good speed glue it would be reasonably good. I've never actually tried it but I have a suspicion that something like Tenergy would not react very well to speed blue because the sponge is so different.Looking back on those days, I liked the way speed glue played, but I don't miss using it. It would stink up the whole club when everybody used it, it couldn't have been good for us to be breathing in the stuff, and it got to be a real pain in the ass to have to take several minutes to reglue your rubbers each single time you played. And I came to appreciate the consistency of modern rappers because like I said glue effects we're not always consistent from one day to the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I used to use vulcanizing glue because it was cheaper than speed glue and was basically the same thing. Worked great on Bryce. I wouldn't try it on any expensive modern rubbers because there's a good chance it would really mess them up. But then again, in the days of speed glue-all robbers were pretty good it all depended on the quality of your glue job. Back in those days we used to glue up each day that we played. And some days the glue effect would be better than others --- for who knows what reason?? The table tennis gods? Also, speed glue was the great equalizer for rubbers. You could take almost any kind of cheap rubber and if you used good speed glue it would be reasonably good. I've never actually tried it but I have a suspicion that something like Tenergy would not react very well to speed blue because the sponge is so different.Looking back on those days, I liked the way speed glue played, but I don't miss using it. It would stink up the whole club when everybody used it, it couldn't have been good for us to be breathing in the stuff, and it got to be a real pain in the ass to have to take several minutes to reglue your rubbers each single time you played. And I came to appreciate the consistency of modern rappers because like I said glue effects we're not always consistent from one day to the next.

I could be wrong but, it seems to me, Michael Zhuang's experimentation with boosting and glue effect is with cheap Chinese rubbers rather than with Modern Euro/Japanese rubbers.

I think it is him trying to work around spending as much for a rubber as something like Tenergy or Dignics costs, while making the less expensive rubbers play well.

The entertaining part is, it sounds like he has spent a ton of money trying different equipment in the name of saving money by buying the cheap stuff. I could be wrong about this. But.....This is why many people have said that you actually save money if you just go straight to Tenergy or Dignics. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

you don't wait before you attach the rubber. You glue and when the glue dries, as soon as the glue dries, you attach the rubber. ?????????

and it sticks to the paddle even though the rubber is domed ????

If it is speed glue and you wait, the gases evaporate and you won't get the effect. So, speed glue is different than boosting.

But, I don't know. Did you use speed glue and wait for the doming to go down? Anyone?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yeah I really didnt spend much money on rubbers because everything I bought was just $5 or $10, and I still plan to use them for while until they lose their grip. Im not SO in love with table tennis to spend $50 or $100 on a single sheet of rubber. I find it more interesting to toy around with cheap rubbers that play well, and mix and match and find a combination that works.

So is there any answer about why the rubber domed so much from the rubber cement? Does that doming effect benefit the rubber at all?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah I really didnt spend much money on rubbers because everything I bought was just $5 or $10, and I still plan to use them for while until they lose their grip. Im not SO in love with table tennis to spend $50 or $100 on a single sheet of rubber. I find it more interesting to toy around with cheap rubbers that play well, and mix and match and find a combination that works.

So is there any answer about why the rubber domed so much from the rubber cement? Does that doming effect benefit the rubber at all?
You should probably go and reread what BrokenBall said about the boost effect being the result of more gases in the bubble structure of the sponge.

I said this before. I will say it again: If you put water on the sponge, it will expand the sponge and the rubber will stay the same size which will also cause a doming effect. But I am confident putting water on your sponge won't give you a booster effect.

But play with the rubber and see how it feels.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The thing with buying tenergy and dignics is that not everybody will be happy with them.
Last night at the club I asked a mate where his tenergy rubbered blade was because i noticed he played with another blade and some donic rubbers.
His reply was :" I have given up on the Tenergy, I can't play with them !!!"""
So i asked if I could have a go with it

Now worries he said
So i spend quite a bit of time playing with this setup , 2 Tenergy 05 on a Waldner blade. LOVED IT , PLAYED REALLY WELL !!!

Gonna have to make him an offer he can't refuse.

The buddy who owns the tenergy rubbers is the much better player than myself.
But it prooves that even an old hack like myself can actually do alright with rubbers like these............

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The thing about Tenergy, isn't just that it plays well. It last longer than most rubbers from other brands. At this point there are several ESN rubbers offered by different brands that play as well or better than Tenergy when you first get them. But 4 weeks later, Tenergy will be playing better than them, and 3 months later there will be no contest.

I have heard Dignics 05 lasts really really long....even longer than Tenergy. So, why a lot of people don't like or buy those high end Butterfly rubbers is the price. But if you can use Tenergy for as long as you could use 2 or 3 of any other brand's rubber (except for the inexpensive Chinese rubbers which also last a really long time), then, in the end, the question of value may actually be on the side of Butterfly rubbers.

I have Rasanter R48 on one of my setups and it was amazing for the first three weeks. Within a month it still felt okay but it did not feel like anything special anymore. If I was going to change my rubbers every three weeks, I would just choose Rasanter and be done with it. But after 3 weeks, T05 performs better. And I can get a lot more than 9 weeks out of a good pair Tenergy.

In the end, everyone gets to choose for themself though.

Reactions: dajdosta and ttarc
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

Rubber cement behaves like a weak speed glue for a short period of time. Actually all speed glues have a very short duration of action. However rubber cement tennis to accumulate a lot more with repeated applications. Remember, with speed glue we used to have to remove the rubber, reapply the speed glue, and reattach the rubber every day that we played. Vulcanizing glues and actual table tennis speed glues dont accumulate very much, but rubber cement with repeated applications seems to become increasingly messy, and will also make the rubber very heavy in a very short period of time. Rubber cement also tends to hold the rubber more tightly to the blade . But as for why the rubber domes so much, that is just the speak glue effect. It is caused by the solvent in the glues slowly evaporating. Some people used to dilute rubber cement at about a 1 to 3 ratio with lighter fluid. That would also create something that behave like a fairly decent speed glue.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
What about toluene in place of lighter fluid?
Toluene is a clear, colorless liquid which becomes a vapor when exposed to air at room temperature. Toluene vapor has a sharp or sweet odor, which is a sign of exposure. Toluene is typically used in a mixture with other solvents and chemicals such as paint pigments. ... Gasoline and other fuels also contain toluene. [h3]Toluene - Overview | Occupational Safety and Health ... - OSHA[/h3]https://www.osha.gov › toluene [width=18px][/width] [width=16px][/width]About featured snippets• [width=14px][/width]Feedback[h3]People also ask[/h3][width=18px][/width][h3] [/h3] What is toluene used for? [h3] [/h3] What does toluene do to the human body? Toluene (C₆H₅CH₃) is a colorless liquid with a sweet, pungent odor. Exposure to toluene can cause eye and nose irritation, tiredness, confusion, euphoria, dizziness, headache, dilated pupils, tears, anxiety, muscle fatigue, insomnia, nerve damage, inflammation of the skin, and liver and kidney damage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This boosting is a worth while field of study if you want to become a chemical engineer. It will probably pay more than playing TT. However, chemical engeering is one of the harder, but better paying, fields in engineering. If you aren't going to become a chemical engineer, you would be better of practicing than boosting. A tripod will help you make better videos so you can see your mistakes. Practicing is good because the better you get, the more exercise you get playing rather than chasing balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
at my age everything i do is simply booked under : occupational therapy 😂
Keep playing and playing and playing. It doesn't really matter how good you are just keep playing.
At some time the youngins will realize that life is not a sprint. It is more like a marathon where the winners are those that keep running and running .... or keep playingTT.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Keep playing and playing and playing. It doesn't really matter how good you are just keep playing.
At some time the youngins will realize that life is not a sprint. It is more like a marathon where the winners are those that keep running and running .... or keep playingTT.

Life may not be a sprint, but those youngins are better at marathons too...

Reactions: lodro