Boosting with baby oil

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Interesting perspective. It would be nice if somebody could analyze what's really in a proper booster oil.

Shyam, btw which club do you play in? (if you don't mind me asking!)

I will ask my friends if they can analyse Falco in the university's lab :)
Though probably they can only use the bio lab :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Today I found out the brush plastic part where it holds the brush fell apart. Is it from the chemical interaction between the Dianchi oil and the plastic? Or it is just bad design? It is brittle like a rice cracker. So scary! It is going to the trash can today. What a waste of ~$50 ...:mad: IMG_2425.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today I found out the brush plastic part where it holds the brush fell apart. Is it from the chemical interaction between the Dianchi oil and the plastic? Or it is just bad design? It is brittle like a rice cracker. So scary! It is going to the trash can today. What a waste of ~$50 ...:mad:View attachment 14275

Probably 'bad design' aka. cheap material made thin.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Â

Why do you need to he completely dried out before next layer?

like the man said : Gas makes the bounce but liquid does not.
If you apply more liquid to the un -evaporated liquid it just takes much longer for it all to evaporate.
This is the same with seamoon booster, they also say to apply a thin layer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

like the man said : Gas makes the bounce but liquid does not.
If you apply more liquid to the un -evaporated liquid it just takes much longer for it all to evaporate.
This is the same with seamoon booster, they also say to apply a thin layer

Â

I guess i should try that next time. Im too impatient to wait and come back so i usually just put a heavy layer and let it sit

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you read and understood some of what BrokenBall wrote, you would probably prefer to use boosters that are proven to work well.

Baby oil does very little; or, if you put a certain amount, it makes the sponge mushy and that does not help in any way. If you take a kitchen sponge and put water on it, it will expand as the pores absorb the water. If you put water on a TT sponge, the water will sink in and cause the sponge to expand. This would also cause the rubber to curl because the topsheet is still the same size while the sponge has expanded. This will not make the rubber play better. In fact, it will make the sponge play worse. You want an oil that evaporates fast enough to make it so that there is more GAS in the pores of the sponge than there was before you applied the booster. This is why Baby Oil can cause the sponge to curl but does not give you a useful boost response.

Try some form of lighter fluid, gasoline, or other highly flammable oil......All would be considered VOCs. Those would work the way speed glue worked. The booster oils on the market work better than baby oil or paraffin oil but worse than Speed Glue or Vulcanizing Glues made to repair tire punctures on bicycles or cars. However, they are pretty bad for your health. :)

Here: knock yourself out:

1) Ronsonol Lighter Fluid

2) Xtra Seal Vulcanizing Cement

This next link is to the original stuff that got people to realize the effects of vulcanizing glue on TT rubbers:

Rema Tip Top Vulcanizing Glue

Have fun. Don't let yourself get high on the fumes from the glue. Each time you inhale this stuff, it kills massive amounts of brain cells. At a certain point, your brain goes into permanent SLOW MODE.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Don't use any oil that doesn't evaporate quickly. Gas is compressible and can be bouncy. Fluids are not.
This should be common sense.
In the early days of T05 on the market, I was late to use that rubber, but I reckoned that an $8 rubber not changed for 3 months made it to where I could afford a $50 rubber on FH.

I noticed that if I used edge tape on T05 and cover up past the pip structure, I would get another week+ of top performance from T05... that was a significant amount, so a combat multiplier for sure. I believe it was because the edge tape slowed down the gassing out of the factory sponge.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro