Rubber for friend of mine, need tips!!!

This user has no status.
So, this is quite difficult...

This friend of mine really has no idea what he wants to play like, with which rubber, what playing style etc.

A description of his playing style.

He plays close to the table, his backhand is better than his forehand and he's the kind of guy that uses one topspin (mostly the BH) and starts driving afterwards. Or he likes to push aggressively, but he considers his rubbers not good enough to do that very well. He wants to combine those two styles but can't find any suitable rubbers. He's looking for something slightly tacky, not too fast, but with enough spin to keep the driving going, and controllable. He also has some issues with moving a lot...
*update*
I said he was doubting; he wants something with a lot of spin on the FH too
He plays with Tibhar Speed on both sides.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hello
Can anybody help me ?
I search a website, where i can buy my hurricane 3 neo (blue sponge), know anybody a web site ?

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
So, this is quite difficult...

This friend of mine really has no idea what he wants to play like, with which rubber, what playing style etc.
He's is constantly doubting and strangely this affects his level of play. I don't know what to tell him anymore, so:

A description of his playing style.

He plays close to the table, his backhand is better than his forehand and he's the kind of guy that uses one topspin (mostly the BH) and starts driving afterwards. Or he likes to push aggressively, but he considers his rubbers not good enough to do that very well. He wants to combine those two styles but can't find any suitable rubbers. He's looking for something slightly tacky, not too fast, but with enough spin to keep the driving going, and controllable. He also has some issues with moving a lot... he's kinda clumsy.
*update*
I said he was doubting; he wants something with a lot of spin on the FH too
He plays with Tibhar Speed on both sides.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'd go with the Rasant Powersponge from Andro, you can really do anything with that rubber :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
If he is pushing and driving only he probably has a problem standing up quite often. Could we see a video of him playing to better give him a good idea of how effective his style is?

Honestly this is best asked from a coach or high level player, but in the event you don't have access to one of these perhaps go with something basic like Sriver, Mambo, Mendo?

These are all great rubbers for what you describe, but if his technique is poor there isn't a rubber in the world that will help him achieve a better style or way to play. If you can explain to him that pushing and driving can be done with all rubbers then that would allow him to see that it's not about the equipment. Better players don't look for a rubber to improve any single type of shot. They look for rubbers that provide better characteristics like spin, speed, control.

Hopefully this helps?