Best forehand in the world ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Hi, who do you think has the best forehand in the world?
For me, overall, it's Ma Long.
Far from the table would be Xu Xin.
Third ball, Ma long.
Counter close to the table, Xu Xin again.

What do you think?

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I would say Ma Long. But his shot game is poor on forehand. Xu Xin's and Zhang Jike's short pushes on forehand is much better than Ma Long. Ma Long is the best at counter looping close to the table, third ball and flicking. Xu Xin is the best at counter looping in middle distance and far from the table. Zhang Jike is the best at short pushes.

Anyway, table tennis in not just about the forehand. It also need good backhand, footwork, serving, short game and ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
I agree with Paellota. However as Alborz says, its not only the forehand thats important.
I find Zhang Jike to be very good with backhand and forehand close to the table, even surpassing Ma in the backhand sector, but Ma's forehand close to the table is the best Ive ever seen. His reaction time as well as reflex is amazing. I find that Fan is improving in every performance, and might soon even come close or even surpass them after a few more years of experience.

Reactions: akonebrahim
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Ma Lin's forehand counter loop and third balls were amazing a few years before. I'm missing he :(

Also about the forehand smash, Xu Xin can not come even come close to Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Fan Zhendong smashes. Because they twiddle for smash but he can't because he is a penholder. Fan Zhendong is not as tall as Ma Long and Zhang Jike so he some time can't reach the ball that are so high. Between Zhang Jike and Ma Long, it's really hard to chose the best. But Zhang Jike has slightly more power, probably because he has a bigger body. I remember in his match against Joo Sea Hyuk at 2012 Olympics, he smashed a ball straight out of the core! But still Zhang Jike and Ma Long are pretty close about the forehand smash.

In forehand block most of Chinese players are not as good as the other players because their forehand rubber is tacky and not good for blocking. And no player usually use forehand block in his game. So i have no idea how is the best at
this shot. Probably Timo Boll or some other European player.

In forehand lob Xu xin is so many steps ahead from the others.
No need to say Joo Sea Hyuk is the best at forehand chop and after he, Masato Shiono is the second.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
it depends what youre looking for?

- Quality overall
- Quantity overall
- Fastest only
- Spinniest only

If it comes to quantity i agree with you, Ma Long should be the best one of all. Out of 100 balls he plays the most Topspins. If it comes to quality, I think Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin are better. Fan Zhendong accelerates much faster than Ma Long and Xu Xin has the penhold's dead angle so his topspins are much more unpredictable.
If it comes down to spin and rotation with coordination and placement I think Timo Boll could be number 1 because he got some magic eyes and hands when it comes to good placement.

So its hard to say in general, you have to be more specific.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
it depends what youre looking for?

- Quality overall
- Quantity overall
- Fastest only
- Spinniest only

If it comes to quantity i agree with you, Ma Long should be the best one of all. Out of 100 balls he plays the most Topspins. If it comes to quality, I think Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin are better. Fan Zhendong accelerates much faster than Ma Long and Xu Xin has the penhold's dead angle so his topspins are much more unpredictable.
If it comes down to spin and rotation with coordination and placement I think Timo Boll could be number 1 because he got some magic eyes and hands when it comes to good placement.

So its hard to say in general, you have to be more specific.

I don't agree. Timo Boll's forehand can't be quoted as one of the best, because it really is too slow and allows the opponent to counter top spin easily

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I don't agree. Timo Boll's forehand can't be quoted as one of the best, because it really is too slow and allows the opponent to counter top spin easily
No it is not easy to counter loop. His forehand loops are super spiny. Spinier than any Chinese player and it is every hard to counter it.

Reactions: tan.theveteran
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
No it is not easy to counter loop. His forehand loops are super spiny. Spinier than any Chinese player and it is every hard to counter it.

Yes it is. Not for a guy like me, obviously, but if you watch a match between the chinese top players and timo boll, they hit the ball really hard on any of boll's drives, and take the point almost all the time.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Yes it is. Not for a guy like me, obviously, but if you watch a match between the chinese top players and timo boll, they hit the ball really hard on any of boll's drives, and take the point almost all the time.
Chinese players hit every ball so hard. But i'm agree with you. His style is not effective against Chinese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Michael Maze in his prime had the best forehand, I am 100% sure that without the injuries, he would have been the best player in the world by now :)

I doubt that.
When he was on the higest form in his career (before injury), he was still a bit far from top 10 level.
The only thing Michael Maze is "best" in, is his lobs
No one can match him there - ever :)

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I doubt that.
When he was on the higest form in his career (before injury), he was still a bit far from top 10 level.
The only thing Michael Maze is "best" in, is his lobs
No one can match him there - ever :)
No, he is not the best in lobbing. Xu Xin has more spiny and higher lobs than him.

Reactions: ZhangJikeTheBest