Difference between red and black rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hi,

I want to ask: Is there any difference between two similar rubber but different colour, even if it's just a small difference? Because while watching players from China playing I can always see them using black rubber on FH and red rubber on BH

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have heard people say that, with DHS rubbers like Hurricane or Skyline, the black rubbers are a little better than the red because of the dye. I do not believe this is true. I have tried both but I can't tell that there is a real difference. But I think a lot of people do think that so DHS sells a lot more black rubbers than red. All the Chinese players who have a black forehand rubber are using some version of Hurricane or Skyline.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The black dye makes the rubber slightly better in spin, whereby the red top sheet is a bit bouncy.
If you take any rubber and compare red and black, you should be able to notice a small difference.
An idea for you to test is, try serve with red rubber and then serve with black rubber. I can see the higher spin in black rubber - easily.

So CNT prefers to focus more on spin on FH, thus they go black and hard/tacky rubbers, and leave the Red on BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Its been noticed that the black Chinese rubbers are more tacky than the reds. this is due to the type of dye they use.

At first I thought it was only Chinese rubbers.
But after using and tested over 30 different kind of rubbers the past 10 years, I'm able to say, there is also differences in non Chinese rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
The black dye makes the rubber slightly better in spin, whereby the red top sheet is a bit bouncy.
If you take any rubber and compare red and black, you should be able to notice a small difference.
An idea for you to test is, try serve with red rubber and then serve with black rubber. I can see the higher spin in black rubber - easily.

So CNT prefers to focus more on spin on FH, thus they go black and hard/tacky rubbers, and leave the Red on BH.

+1

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Without any evidence to support your claim, this is purely conjecture. By this logic, is a red sports car faster than a black sports car?

says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
Nov 2012
Its just not the color of the rubber but the dye used in the coloring of it. Almost if not all of the cnt uses black colored dhs rubber..and with their percentage in winning tournaments who are we to say they are wrong? ;)

Sent from my MyPhone A919i Duo using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Without any evidence to support your claim, this is purely conjecture. By this logic, is a red sports car faster than a black sports car?

Welcome to TTD

Evidence, me :)
I have tested over 30 different rubbers during the past 10 years. Majority of them are not Chinese rubbers.

Also, I had heard so many players saying the same thing - mostly members of the Chinese national team.
I also heard many coaches from China and Taiwan saying this (high profile - meaning provincial coaches or higher)

Not sure what other evidance you need.
If it is not enough, then rather pretend all this is a big lie :)

PS, we are talking about dye in the top sheet thus causing a change in character = change in effect. Not some car engine.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013

I think you are on a wrong forum sir..this is table tennis daily not sports car forum. :) welcome.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Perhaps that's why Chinese players twiddle their rackets and smash by their BH rubber for a bit more bounciness
No this is not. Their backhand rubbers a much more bouncier but not because it is red. Because they usually use a very bouncy rubber like Tenergy on backhand and a hard tacky not bouncy rubber on forehand. So their backhand rubber are very bouncy comparing to their forehand and better for smashing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
if they have to use their black forehand rubbers for smashing,the effect would most likely(but not always) be that the ball will fly of the edge.this is due to the tackiness of the rubber.The red side,on the other hand,is not very tacky(most of the time a tenergy),and because of the inbuilt speed glue effect,the shot is more powerful and controllable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
if they have to use their black forehand rubbers for smashing,the effect would most likely(but not always) be that the ball will fly of the edge.this is due to the tackiness of the rubber.The red side,on the other hand,is not very tacky(most of the time a tenergy),and because of the inbuilt speed glue effect,the shot is more powerful and controllable.

The ball won't go off the edge...if it does, it got nothing to do with the rubber, but rather the player.
Players like Wang Liqin and Wang Nan doesn't use soft rubbers in the backhand.
Also this twiddle and use of backhand side I think started with Ma Lin. At that time he was still using a Red Globe 999 on his forehand. He would twiddle to shakehand and his black rubber to answer these lobs.
I can't recall players earlier than that, that twiddle to softer rubber.