Difference between red and black rubber

This user has no status.
Welcome to TTD

Evidence, me :)
I have tested over 30 different rubbers during the past 10 years. Majority of them are not Chinese rubbers.

Also, I had heard so many players saying the same thing - mostly members of the Chinese national team.
I also heard many coaches from China and Taiwan saying this (high profile - meaning provincial coaches or higher)

Not sure what other evidance you need.
If it is not enough, then rather pretend all this is a big lie :)

PS, we are talking about dye in the top sheet thus causing a change in character = change in effect. Not some car engine.

I'm sorry, I meant empirical evidence. Unverifiable opinions aren't evidence. That's called hearsay.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm sorry, I meant empirical evidence. Unverifiable opinions aren't evidence. That's called hearsay.

If you are a decent level table tennis player. You are able to take any setup and spin the ball onto your hands or fingers.
You really do not need to be high level to be able to tell which side has more spin, and which side has less spin.

This is called the ablity of human beings.
In table tennis, we call this feel or touch or control.

Of course if your level is not there, you will have no idea what I am talking about.

To go onto real table play, it is very easy to tell which side has more spin too. You are able to feel the spin coming out of the rubber and you can also check by the arc, rotation of the ball etc.

If all of the above is considered unverifiable, then you shouldn't be in table tennis, you shouldn't be in any sport at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ducksick
This user has no status.
If you are a decent level table tennis player. You are able to take any setup and spin the ball onto your hands or fingers.
You really do not need to be high level to be able to tell which side has more spin, and which side has less spin.

This is called the ablity of human beings.
In table tennis, we call this feel or touch or control.

Of course if your level is not there, you will have no idea what I am talking about.

To go onto real table play, it is very easy to tell which side has more spin too. You are able to feel the spin coming out of the rubber and you can also check by the arc, rotation of the ball etc.

If all of the above is considered unverifiable, then you shouldn't be in table tennis, you shouldn't be in any sport at all.

"Touch" or "feel" is completely subjective. Look, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that your argument would be much more credible if you could cite hard evidence in which someone has performed controlled experiments around the effect of rubber color.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
everything cannot be left to scientific evidence.
Experience always counts:)

Some people only believe in Science, but then Science can't even find a missing plane....
My part time career is in health care, Traditional Chinese Medicine
This is a field were we find plenty of short comings in Science.
We have Profesor of Medicine coming to us for treatment, as he doesn't trust what he preaches.....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
"Touch" or "feel" is completely subjective. Look, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that your argument would be much more credible if you could cite hard evidence in which someone has performed controlled experiments around the effect of rubber color.

I understand that if would be nice to have a lovely chart by some Professor telling the effect.
But until then, this generation to generation teaching has been going on for years.
Science couldn't explain Shaolin Kung Fu.

Besides being taught this, I am also feeling it and can confirm from my abilities in terms of touch and feel.
Seems like many forum members also prossess this ablity, and if even CNT members even say so, I'm sure it is really true.
This is not just some folk tale and we don't feel it, the fact is, I can feel the differences and if 30 rubbers is not enough, then how many should be enough?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Today, I tested a new setup of one of my students, Rosewood XO + T05 on both sides.
Clearly the black sheet gave more spin than red
The red had a bouncier top sheet too.

And speaking about Science, I think all our product reviews need to be more sciencefic now, otherwise its all subjective lol.
But I trust some of these reviewers and with my own experience, I am able to make a better judgement than what science says.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
It's because of the sponge's color. DHS cannot produce blue sponge rubbers with red topsheets since their red-colored topsheets are a bit transparent and they will mix up with the blue color of the sponge to give some sort of purple looking, which violates ITTF rule.

Agree fully. Due to this reason, the hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge is available in black topsheet only.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Agree fully. Due to this reason, the hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge is available in black topsheet only.

I think if there is any reason for DHS to make red rubbers, it will be doable.

Look at the Bluefire (blue sponge) and Xiom rubbers (black sponge), maybe in the way even Rassant (green sponge)
Those red aren't your normal reds, but it is still red enough for ITTF regulations

Reactions: sanavasaraja
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I think if there is any reason for DHS to make red rubbers, it will be doable.

Look at the Bluefire (blue sponge) and Xiom rubbers (black sponge), maybe in the way even Rassant (green sponge)
Those red aren't your normal reds, but it is still red enough for ITTF regulations

I have used the Rasant for some time now, and usually with a dark sponge there will be dark spots on the red rubber, but not on this one :)

Maybe it's due to the top sheet beein more matte and not as transparent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews

IMO, If there was a need,they would have made them,but because Chinese(dont know any other non-Chinese using this kind setup) use tacky topsheets on forehand,and japanese/european on bh,they only needed to make one colour which was very tacky and black is a more tacky colour due to the dye.

says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
This is BS. There's no diff between black/red. For h3 the black is spinnier/better because of the blue sponge CNT is using. Red doesn't have blue sponge hope i can clear this confusion for anyone who's still reading this.

Currently usatt rated 2098