Back to Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 132
  1. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPPER
    Btw where in england do u play I used to play in bristol
    thanks what youve said is very encouraging i play in sheffield ive done most the GP circuit this year

  2. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPPER
    I would make sure that you have a good level of fitness and they also have a very nice gym there that you can use whenever you want. They will see what level you play at and then put u in a squad they haveall different kinds of players turning up there so it doesnt matter what level u play at. They will fit u in the right squad and then if u ever feel tht u need to go up or down a squad or u would like matches then just ask the coach and they will arrange it for u. From memory u will start training at 8am ish and after lunch a lot of the players have a nap which I would recomend and then second training at about 2pm then dinner and the third sessio is optional if u want to do service receive practice most of the tym
    Correct, make sure you take the nap - you will need it for the afternoon session.
    Also, how many hours are you training a week now? If very little, your body won't adapt well to 40+ hours a week.

    Training 2 months full time for first timers may end up pretty boring and tiring. So I hope you have the will power of going through with it.
    BYE BYE

  3. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    Correct, make sure you take the nap - you will need it for the afternoon session.
    Also, how many hours are you training a week now? If very little, your body won't adapt well to 40+ hours a week.

    Training 2 months full time for first timers may end up pretty boring and tiring. So I hope you have the will power of going through with it.
    yes at the moment i am at low amount of around 10 but have done 20 hours in the past and haven't struggled out of everything i would say fitness is low down on my worries.

  4. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by thethundertt
    yes at the moment i am at low amount of around 10 but have done 20 hours in the past and haven't struggled out of everything i would say fitness is low down on my worries.
    Don't underestimate 20 hours vs 40 hours and also 8 x 40 hours.
    Playing 6 hours+ a day vs 3 hours+ a day is very different. I know because I used to train 40 hours a week.
    I have students that train around 10 to 15 hours a week, I can promise you none of them can handle 40 hours.
    Injury from over working your body is the last thing you want during your trip.

    Other than that, just get used to some Chinese food (rice/noodle + dishes)

    Another thing that might be a small issue is your skills, as some times certain coaches may hold back teaching you "everything". But no matter what, I"m sure you will learn and train a lot and get into a better form.
    Some bad things I heard is that certain skills are so bad that the coach require to spend half the time undoing those bad habits, so after a month or 2, the player isn't really playing better, but is playing correctly. Correctly does not equal winning.
    This is all normal for improvements, so it depends on how you see what improvement is.
    BYE BYE

  5. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    Don't underestimate 20 hours vs 40 hours and also 8 x 40 hours.
    Playing 6 hours+ a day vs 3 hours+ a day is very different. I know because I used to train 40 hours a week.
    I have students that train around 10 to 15 hours a week, I can promise you none of them can handle 40 hours.
    Injury from over working your body is the last thing you want during your trip.

    Other than that, just get used to some Chinese food (rice/noodle + dishes)

    Another thing that might be a small issue is your skills, as some times certain coaches may hold back teaching you "everything". But no matter what, I"m sure you will learn and train a lot and get into a better form.
    Some bad things I heard is that certain skills are so bad that the coach require to spend half the time undoing those bad habits, so after a month or 2, the player isn't really playing better, but is playing correctly. Correctly does not equal winning.
    This is all normal for improvements, so it depends on how you see what improvement is.
    i understand, how would you suggest preparing myself for the 40 hours a week then?

  6. SquareBall is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 72 233
    SquareBall's Avatar
    SquareBall is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 233 72
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by thethundertt
    i understand, how would you suggest preparing myself for the 40 hours a week then?
    In the area you live you can easily have access to a running court ? a swimming pool ? a gym ? Whatever it is go for that and don't do galactic exercises do stamina exercise. For example if you go at the swimming pool dont do 50 meters sprint. Do 100 or 200 meters with small brakes. You don't need to go into muscul oriented exercise you need heart to work in high pace. In general improve your fitness. Good luck ,have fun, and im Jealous

  7. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by SquareBall
    In the area you live you can easily have access to a running court ? a swimming pool ? a gym ? Whatever it is go for that and don't do galactic exercises do stamina exercise. For example if you go at the swimming pool dont do 50 meters sprint. Do 100 or 200 meters with small brakes. You don't need to go into muscul oriented exercise you need heart to work in high pace. In general improve your fitness. Good luck ,have fun, and im Jealous
    Yeah, building in stamina is good.
    But doing a FH stroke for few thousand times in a day is also different too.

    I would suggestion that you train a few 6 hours days (3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon) building up to your departure.
    IE, every saturday for 1 months leading up to your trip.
    Make sure its not just the hour but the intensity level too.

    So with what Squareball mentioned - try and do 30 mins a day on jogging, long distance swimming etc.
    Do your normal 15 hours a week - and the extra full day or two in a week.
    This should come to 25 hours or so.
    Then I think it should be fine.

    When you in China, make sure you do enough stretches and cool downs.
    Do it even when you wake up and before you go to sleep

    First few days it may be tough, but after a week you will get used to it.
    After two weeks to three weeks you may start getting tired
    After 4 weeks of the same thing, you may start getting bored
    So it all depends on how exiting the program is, and your attention level

    The Following 3 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    Rajah*, SquareBall and 1 other

    BYE BYE

  8. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    Yeah, building in stamina is good.
    But doing a FH stroke for few thousand times in a day is also different too.

    I would suggestion that you train a few 6 hours days (3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon) building up to your departure.
    IE, every saturday for 1 months leading up to your trip.
    Make sure its not just the hour but the intensity level too.

    So with what Squareball mentioned - try and do 30 mins a day on jogging, long distance swimming etc.
    Do your normal 15 hours a week - and the extra full day or two in a week.
    This should come to 25 hours or so.
    Then I think it should be fine.

    When you in China, make sure you do enough stretches and cool downs.
    Do it even when you wake up and before you go to sleep

    First few days it may be tough, but after a week you will get used to it.
    After two weeks to three weeks you may start getting tired
    After 4 weeks of the same thing, you may start getting bored
    So it all depends on how exiting the program is, and your attention level
    thanks that seems achievable as my lifestyle is already rather active.

  9. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #29
    has anyone that has been know how many overseas people are usually there and whether many english speakers go?

  10. Pongfinity is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 367 526
    Pongfinity's Avatar
    Pongfinity is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 526 367

    User Info Menu

    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by thethundertt
    yeah thanks i hope so how much by percentage would you say you improved?
    Hard to say.. the changes in your playing will be big though. Actually there was a same kind of thread like this before, I wrote more about my visits experiences there: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/fo...nning-in-China

    Taken from that thread:

    "I've been in China twice to train there a couple of weeks each time. Those trips were really nice. I was in a sports school in Beijing (same from where Ma Long and Ding Ning has come from). It was 5h training/day and 6 days/week. This school had quite young players, everything from 7 to 15- or 16- years old I believe.
    The trainings were very different than European trainings. Firstly, the warming up was very long, we hit sometimes like 20 minutes only FH.. Secondly, the exercises we made was quite easy. The point in that was to do many repeats and in that way become a more secure player. Even the youngest were like machines when doing those exercises, they were so secure doing them. But when we started to play matches it was different of course, it was quite easy to win the youngest players because they didn't really have match experience (retrieving serves etc.).

    The couches were quite tight on the chinese players, they really wanted them to do well when they played against us. They made sure that we got good practice, even though they didn't give us so much advices. But what they taught us was totally different things than we had been taught to here in Europe. The technique is so different (especially for FH). After some weeks of training there I had my best FH ever, but when I returned back to Finland it kind of disappeared again because nobody knows that real (chinese) technique. So my playing style kind of returned to the same old "European"-style after some months.

    Anyway it was truly amazing trips. I totally recommend to go and experience it yourself also. You can't imagine the level of the players before you see them with your own eyes. We actually also got to play with maybe the best 7-year-old boy in the world, he was unbelievable good. But table tennis is probably the only sport in the world that makes it possible for a 7-year-old to be as good as many (ok/good-leveled) adults."

    The Following 2 Users Like Pongfinity's Post:

    SquareBall and thethundertt


  11. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #31
    Yep, thats the thing

    Training to fix technique, or training for the sake of training.
    That is a big difference

    2 weeks, 2 months is not a lot of time to fix technique - in terms of sufficient time for it to totally become your new habit.
    It all depends on the coach and how much effort he/she is willing to put into you.

    In both your instances, you both are young, but maybe a bit too old in some coaches eye.
    So it all got to do with what program, coach and your condition/technique.

    No matter what, it will be a life time experience for sure.

    Btw, you should ask Zheng Ding if there are going to be other foreigners there. It differs time to time.

    The Following User Likes Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    thethundertt

    BYE BYE

  12. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    Yep, thats the thing

    Training to fix technique, or training for the sake of training.
    That is a big difference

    2 weeks, 2 months is not a lot of time to fix technique - in terms of sufficient time for it to totally become your new habit.
    It all depends on the coach and how much effort he/she is willing to put into you.

    In both your instances, you both are young, but maybe a bit too old in some coaches eye.
    So it all got to do with what program, coach and your condition/technique.

    No matter what, it will be a life time experience for sure.

    Btw, you should ask Zheng Ding if there are going to be other foreigners there. It differs time to time.
    thanks i will ask them i would say my technique is rather orthodox for here in things i think i will gain the most is footwork currently i would say that that let the rest of my game down

  13. mahomedy13 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 492 1,777
    mahomedy13's Avatar
    mahomedy13 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,777 492

    User Info Menu

    #33
    i would say a good exercise will include the use of dumbells,especially on your racket hand.We dont you to drop your racket because your hand becomes too
    weak!

    The Following User Likes mahomedy13's Post:

    SquareBall


  14. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mahomedy13
    i would say a good exercise will include the use of dumbells,especially on your racket hand.We dont you to drop your racket because your hand becomes too
    weak!
    No, that is totally something very different.
    BYE BYE

  15. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    No, that is totally something very different.
    I am also a tennis player so I don't lack in upper body strength endurance is probably what I need more then anything

  16. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by thethundertt
    I am also a tennis player so I don't lack in upper body strength endurance is probably what I need more then anything
    I'm also not talking about upper body strength.
    Any ways, go and see for yourself.
    BYE BYE

  17. thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 48
    T
    thethundertt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 48 10
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    I'm also not talking about upper body strength.
    Any ways, go and see for yourself.
    I was agreeing with you unless you think dumbbells can be used for something other then upper body strength

  18. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by thethundertt
    I was agreeing with you unless you think dumbbells can be used for something other then upper body strength
    lol, okay.
    I thought you were disagreeing, my bad
    BYE BYE

  19. mahomedy13 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 492 1,777
    mahomedy13's Avatar
    mahomedy13 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,777 492

    User Info Menu

    #39
    Like i said before,good luck,train hard and tell us what you experienced,and whether you feel you have improved or not.

  20. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by mahomedy13
    Like i said before,good luck,train hard and tell us what you experienced,and whether you feel you have improved or not.
    I'm sure he will, just give him a chance to go to China first lol
    BYE BYE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.