CNT Closed Training 2014 - Video

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I agree the Chinese training system is not the only one. There are pros and cons to everything, and currently the system is working for Chinese TT, it has for some time now, and seems to be for some more time in the future.
Hence I mention culture and structure too. As you can have any coaching/training system, but if you don't have a TT culture or structure, you will be heading no where.

But even the likes of Waldner and the Swedish greats are clueless on how to make TT better in Sweden. In fact TT is going backwards in many past great nations.

The reality is table tennis has evolved, it is no longer the same as in the days of the Swedes, besides rule change, equipment advancement, there is also technique improvements. TT has just become more and more difficult to master. The 11 point game makes it more difficult for the strong player to loose and the weaker player to win - just as an example.

Any ways, The Chinese system is currently one of the best. CCY for example is a clear result of Chinese system for a non Chinese citizen. If you don't know his history, i'm more than happy to share it.

For the world, you can learn from the Chines system, copy it, study it, master it, and do something better - to suite your own environement. But what ever you do, just do something.

I think world class players like waldner or persson know exactly what to do in their countries to get better in TT because they have lived it. They have trained hard, they have trained in china and they have trained with the best, maybe they wont be best teachers for the future players but LGL didnt know how to be a good teacher also.

The issues are : 1)do they want to? if they did they wouldnt still play in veteran events almost "circus" events that from my point of view degrade the sport. If ittf wants popularity through veteran friendly matches, then they should try mimic tennis where there is verbal interaction and lots of humor between veterans. ITTF legends tour was a total failure if you ask me .French commentating? Not even english for the whole world to understand? I dont know if thats hilarious to laugh or tragic to cry

2)Do the swedish players show enough interest in becoming the best and realize what it takes to achieve it? 3) Does the swedish government/athletic corporations care enough to spend money investing in a long run profit?

I totally agree with you about the coach/administrator interaction, for a collaboration like this to succeed they should be able to work together and constantly reevaluate their plan and training methods. That is very difficult, personally I would love to be the administrator and coach together even if that means working my ass off all day, or maybe have a partner that can match or complete my way of thinking

One thing I like about wu jingping for example is that he always changes or makes the training harder for his player in order for him to get better and better. Evolution and learning never stops, it only stops when we die ! :p

Reactions: TT4Life
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
And one more thing, 11 point system with two serves actually makes the game easier for the weaker player to win and the stronger to lose. Especially when you play 3 sets and with an opponent that you are not familiar with. One set of 21 with five serves was enough to figure out your opponent (and win eventually) even if you lose it. But with 11 points and 2 serves its very difficult to do so. If you need the same amounts of points in the 11 set era then probably you are 2-0 down and its much more difficult to make a comeback.

Check the wins of konstantinos papageorgiou for example he has beaten apollonia chechtinine matsudaira and tristan flore and he is an unranked amateur player. He is very smart with top serve and receive but his footwork is terrible and his rallying capabilities are almost zero. His short pips and smart play make him somehow weird to play against.

Anyway 11 points system is far better cause it has more suspens and it provides "agonizing" scores most of the time making the sport more spectacular

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
And one more thing, 11 point system with two serves actually makes the game easier for the weaker player to win and the stronger to lose. Especially when you play 3 sets and with an opponent that you are not familiar with. One set of 21 with five serves was enough to figure out your opponent (and win eventually) even if you lose it. But with 11 points and 2 serves its very difficult to do so. If you need the same amounts of points in the 11 set era then probably you are 2-0 down and its much more difficult to make a comeback.

Check the wins of konstantinos papageorgiou for example he has beaten apollonia chechtinine matsudaira and tristan flore and he is an unranked amateur player. He is very smart with top serve and receive but his footwork is terrible and his rallying capabilities are almost zero. His short pips and smart play make him somehow weird to play against.

Anyway 11 points system is far better cause it has more suspens and it provides "agonizing" scores most of the time making the sport more spectacular

This to me isn't a problem.
Coaches will need to cope with changes, and rule changes are just one of many possible changes that will occure with the sport.
This is why there is a policy that CNT focus on young coaches, it is near impossible to be a main coach in CNT A team if you are older than 40 years old.
The younger you are, the easier you can cope with changes, and closer to the new game etc.

But same applies because 30 or so the players retires, so there is only a few years (2 terms) for the coaches to really add value.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Yep, I agree with you

1), even if they don't want to, they can hire someone who wants to

2) that is culture i'm talking about

3) this is structure i'm talking about

I would love to know about CCY story, I know that the chinese feared him in the past and he stated that he spent tons of training to improve his forehand but his training plan was not efficient and he admitted that he wasted prescious time and didnt get better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would love to know about CCY story, I know that the chinese feared him in the past and he stated that he spent tons of training to improve his forehand but his training plan was not efficient and he admitted that he wasted prescious time and didnt get better

Well, his mom is his coach, and wanted to train up his older brother. CCY ended up being the better player.

CCY trained very hard since a young age, but then reach a stage that he couldn't improve any more.
His mom used her contacts to organise CCY to go to train in provincial bases in China, and every summer vocation he will head off for 2 months.
At age 15 (if i recall correctly), he took 1 full year off school to train full time.

Later on CCY did so well that he went into the ranks and was selected to train with CNT B team, this was when the time that Ma Lin and Wang Liqin is still in the B team too.

At that same time, CCY started to play internationally for Chinese Taipei and beat Ma Ling and WLQ at the world scene.
LGL stepped in and banned CCY to train in any official base (provincial/national).

At that same time with the lost of Chinese training, an opportunity arouse from Germany and he went to Germany to play professionally.
Some other facts - Singapore offered to buy CCY to play for them, but his loyality for Taiwan turned down that attractive offer.

Any ways, all this funding for CCY was all private. His mom made and opened all the doors for CCY and CCY work his ass off to get through it.
Now he is successful, with a beautiful wife, owns a table tennis academy and his the riches man in Taiwan willing to build a more advance centre for him.

So now, we can understand what is table tennis culture!

Reactions: tan.theveteran
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
oh yeah, let me add.
CCY also faked his name to train at a few lower profile provincial bases

But nowadays, LGL or rather CTTA has opened up everything to everybody (almost)

Many provincial teams are now good friends with different countries. They will have 2 way visits, ie Egypt with Shaanxi.
Shaanxi was in Egypt for 1 month and Egypt went to Shaanxi for another month, it followed by the WTC which Egypt beat Germany.

The head coach of Egypt is from Shaanxi provincial team too.
Just one of many stories I personally know of where CTTA is helping or allowed/support these assistance.

One of the earliest is JM Saive's coach, who moved to Belguim nearly 30 years ago.

BTW, It is difficult for a human being to go overseas and work and be so far away from family
I honestly do not know what else China needs to do for world table tennis.
They already committed to open Chinese national graded training centres in each continent - funded by CTTA

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I agree the Chinese training system is not the only one. There are pros and cons to everything, and currently the system is working for Chinese TT, it has for some time now, and seems to be for some more time in the future.
Hence I mention culture and structure too. As you can have any coaching/training system, but if you don't have a TT culture or structure, you will be heading no where.

But even the likes of Waldner and the Swedish greats are clueless on how to make TT better in Sweden. In fact TT is going backwards in many past great nations.

The reality is table tennis has evolved, it is no longer the same as in the days of the Swedes, besides rule change, equipment advancement, there is also technique improvements. TT has just become more and more difficult to master. The 11 point game makes it more difficult for the strong player to loose and the weaker player to win - just as an example.

Any ways, The Chinese system is currently one of the best. CCY for example is a clear result of Chinese system for a non Chinese citizen. If you don't know his history, i'm more than happy to share it.

For the world, you can learn from the Chines system, copy it, study it, master it, and do something better - to suite your own environement. But what ever you do, just do something.
I'm interested in CCY's story. could you share it? thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Very nice history about CCY!

Yep, and what I like about it is that the family did not blame the governement for lack of support.
They had a goal and went for it.
They needed money, they raised money
They needed training, they made the opportunity happen
Life is all about risk, and they risked it.

CCY is a true example of how some one not inside the system of Chinese TT can become a real threat.
Just imagine if CCY had lots of funding and support like the European or other Asian counter parts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi Tony,

If all CNT players using Tenergy rubbers instead of H3 etc for FH, do you personally think the gap between the rest will
become closer?

Rubber choice is together with style preference.
Tenergy is not a superior or inferrior rubber, it is a rubber designed for certain style of play, and that won't work for the current Chinese style of play.

Then you talk about gap between the rest, this has nothing to do with rubber, maybe it will touch base on style of play, technique, foundation/basics, structure, culture, training, preparation etc

Don't mix equipment with gap, equipment is not the one causing the gap. IE you got a Tenergy player in Timo Boll, and he can easily beat lots of members from CNT - there is a gap there too.

This is the same principle that you don't need the most expensive equipment to play well, you need the one that suites your style to play well.

Reactions: tan.theveteran
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Rubber choice is together with style preference.
Tenergy is not a superior or inferrior rubber, it is a rubber designed for certain style of play, and that won't work for the current Chinese style of play.

Then you talk about gap between the rest, this has nothing to do with rubber, maybe it will touch base on style of play, technique, foundation/basics, structure, culture, training, preparation etc

Don't mix equipment with gap, equipment is not the one causing the gap. IE you got a Tenergy player in Timo Boll, and he can easily beat lots of members from CNT - there is a gap there too.

This is the same principle that you don't need the most expensive equipment to play well, you need the one that suites your style to play well.

As you said, nothing to do with rubber? What I meant, bcos H3 too spinnier, others cant return the ball. ( dont talk bout culture,training,preparation,tactic etc)
After watching so many games between euro vs cnt, at most critical moments, the effects H3 did cause a headache to euro players,
don't you agree with me? especially during rally and topspin. My question, if CNT using tenergy,(as you said cant suit the playing style, and what if there's no choice, i do believe CNT will adjust to it) it might not (personally opinion) make it so hard for the rest.
Now we are talking about top players level. Just a recent matches between Ma Long vs Timo & Ovtcharov, both has a major problems to return those ball.
Too fast and too spinny.

Honestly, just out of my curiousity, Tony. That's why I seek an advice from you. And I do think that equipment does make a slight advantages esp rubbers.
Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
As you said, nothing to do with rubber? What I meant, bcos H3 too spinnier, others cant return the ball. ( dont talk bout culture,training,preparation,tactic etc)
After watching so many games between euro vs cnt, at most critical moments, the effects H3 did cause a headache to euro players,
don't you agree with me? especially during rally and topspin. My question, if CNT using tenergy,(as you said cant suit the playing style, and what if there's no choice, i do believe CNT will adjust to it) it might not (personally opinion) make it so hard for the rest.
Now we are talking about top players level. Just a recent matches between Ma Long vs Timo & Ovtcharov, both has a major problems to return those ball.
Too fast and too spinny.

Honestly, just out of my curiousity, Tony. That's why I seek an advice from you. And I do think that equipment does make a slight advantages esp rubbers.
Thanks

If based on your theory, that mean it is rubber beating people and not people beating people.
Then why ZJK lost?
Why other CNT players can't beat Timo and Dima - while using the same H3 rubbers?

Yes, equipment plays a role, but it is not the only thing. Its the user behind the equipment that makes equipment work for them.
You must know, there is only a few people in the world that can beat Timo and Dima, there are a lot more people who are using CNT H3 rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
If based on your theory, that mean it is rubber beating people and not people beating people.
Then why ZJK lost?
Why other CNT players can't beat Timo and Dima - while using the same H3 rubbers?

Yes, equipment plays a role, but it is not the only thing. Its the user behind the equipment that makes equipment work for them.
You must know, there is only a few people in the world that can beat Timo and Dima, there are a lot more people who are using CNT H3 rubbers

ZJK lost and you and me know the reason behind. No fighthing spirit,ok.
And you dont get what am trying to tell you.
We are talking about top players here. Put in this way.. top 10 players now. Or else, be selective. Ma Long/ZJK and Timo & Dima.
If all using tenergy, will you think the game/gap will be closer? Simple? You get my point now? Reminder( put aside tactic/ culture etc,ok)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
ZJK lost and you and me know the reason behind. No fighthing spirit,ok.
And you dont get what am trying to tell you.
We are talking about top players here. Put in this way.. top 10 players now. Or else, be selective. Ma Long/ZJK and Timo & Dima.
If all using tenergy, will you think the game/gap will be closer? Simple? You get my point now? Reminder( put aside tactic/ culture etc,ok)

You also don't get it.
You are taking a multi dimensional sport, and wanting to filter it to a single dimention and then make comparisons.

TT is just beyond one kind of rubbers.
If today you give Ma Long and ZJK Tenergy rubbers, they will loose against Timo and Dima.
They have been training with low arc rubber all they lifes - over 20 years, of 6 to 8 hours a day, of 300 days a year.
They technique is part of hard sponge/low arc on the forehand

So to answer your narrow minded question, yes, the gap will be there, as Timo and Dima will be the leaders of this gap.
Its just like you saying let Timo put H3 on and see if the gap will be wider or narrower.

So, please, stop being obsess with rubbers here

Last edited: