Changes will coming into future WTTC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
http://www.ettu.org/2014/05/history-of-doubles-was-made-in-tokyo/

Basically few points:

Mix nation double is approved (seems like) for 2017 WTTC
Two double pair per nation, but mix nation will count as one pair for each country....
Number of quota per nation reduce from 5 to 3 for singles, but will still have one more additional slot if all the players within rank 100
Host nation still can send 6 players
For WTTTC, max team for men and women is 96 each. Looks like the 110 team for men is a headache for them to figure out the schedule and group

bollmalongchina.jpg

Timo Boll & Ma Long in the the round of 16 - Men's Doubles China Open 2013 - Photo by: ITTF

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
i guess soon we will say, wttc was the most competitive game loll.

4 players are okay to me. but it's what ittf doing that bugs me. doing so many changes against china, but not to their website. lowering china's quality, but not to improve its own quality so sad.

Reactions: SquareBall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Cant China do some kind of protest?

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

China has stop protesting
They will train harder and win even more convincing - this is the attitude of LGL

But in the same token, it is not fair as lots of national federations are not performing in promoting and developing the sport.

For example Chinese coach went to Belgium and got Saive to become world champion. But look at table tennis in Belgium now. Saive is still champion and no younger player is playing at his level.

I heard US federation is in a mess - CEO left for some other sport few weeks ago etc and US only have 9000 registered members.
But lots of private work being done - over 80 full time centres, private imports of Chinese coaches (as well as Indians, Europeans etc) as well as practice partners.

Now imagine you have a strong private and public (federation), then how much better the sport can become.
Its not ITTF or CTTA's fault, but rather each individual federation's vision and executing abilities.

So I don't blame ITTF for changing these ridicules rules, I blame those national federations for not taking this sport serious enough.
China will not be number 1 forever, as was the case with the Swedes, the Japanese and all the others before them

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
This is to make China not overly predominant. As much as I like watching chinese players, it's expressionless if all chinese now will not just in the final but also semi-finals. The variety is the spice of life, so seeing more nations reaching the finals is way more exciting because many people enjoy watching countries like Sweden, Germany, Portugal and the rest competing against Chinese. Otherwise it'll be just as vacuous as watching a player A playing against player B. However I'm sure that chinese will still be in the final even if only 2 players were allowed, that is because they have very strong coaches in China. hey they have 1.2 billion people after all, that's like more than the entire Europe combined so no wonder european countries like Belgium,Denmark,Poland,Latvia,Ukraine etc will ever reach even a quarter-final.

says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
Nov 2012
Only way to counter china's dominance in table tennis is to make each country's table tennis program stronger. No amount of rule change or equipment change will do that. Or they can ban china from tournaments but that doesn't change the fact that china is the strongest team right now. Why not copy china's program in table tennis if we really want to be as strong as them? It is the chinese perseverance and patience that makes them champions.

Sent from my MyPhone A919i Duo using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
If the chinese weren't given a bat to train while they're still in the cradle perhaps the chances would be even. Many families in Europe can't afford for their child to be solely devoted to train table tennis all day, they need to send them to school first. As well as current crisis in Europe doesn't allow financially to train so much. Unlike in China start to train while they can't even speak the language properly yet, then you'll have 16 year old players who beat all the top players in the world as a result.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Cant China do some kind of protest?

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

They won't. If fact, they realize that if they win it too easily, it would just destroy the sport. Many ppl in China rather to see there is some upset, instead of only their own ppl grab everything nowadays.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

if you want to beat or match the chinese you have to put in more effort, this extra effort is not forthcoming from most of the rest of the world (look at the results). reasons vary, but until there is commitment and single-minded dedication to the goal things will not change.

now they want to further reduce the number of players a country can field is an attempt to "win by legislation", very un-sportsmanlike. we want to see the best slug it out. maybe they should reduce the number of cyclists the uk can field to give other countries a chance, maybe canada should only be able to field 4 ice hockey players ... maybe then other countries will stand a chance. this would be a terrible way to homogenise things where you may as well just flip a coin to see who wins and get rid of all that pesky hard work and commitment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
if you want to beat or match the chinese you have to put in more effort, this extra effort is not forthcoming from most of the rest of the world (look at the results). reasons vary, but until there is commitment and single-minded dedication to the goal things will not change.

now they want to further reduce the number of players a country can field is an attempt to "win by legislation", very un-sportsmanlike. we want to see the best slug it out. maybe they should reduce the number of cyclists the uk can field to give other countries a chance, maybe canada should only be able to field 4 ice hockey players ... maybe then other countries will stand a chance. this would be a terrible way to homogenise things where you may as well just flip a coin to see who wins and get rid of all that pesky hard work and commitment.

So agree with you.

I travelled 17 countries already.
Chatting to many more coaches, players, social players, fans etc around the world.

Clearly a lot of table tennis culture is not there, there is no culture in wanting to be champions.
Just like all sports, this culture needs to be in place since a young age, and only after 10 - 15 years would we start seeing something.

At the end of the day, we are all human beings, and given that some may have some more natural talent the others, it all ties up to who trains harder.
Just look at the video I posted on my FB page. A 4 min video on what happens in CNT 40 days closed training, the one prior to Tokyo WTTTC.

Reactions: htfu
This user has no status.
I dont like these changes. It start with 5+2, then go on with 3+1 and it is going to end with 1+0. Can you imagine bigger load, pressure on each players? Earlier the pressure of whole tournament was divided to seven people. No the whole pressure is divided into four people. I think it will have consequences on the game, because each player have to play more matches, so the final will be between two tired teams, so there won't be great performance. And they think it will make game more interesting - but people must love chinese player and (every great player), if he loved table tennis, doesn't mind which country he is from.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
There will be 4 Chinese players. If one of them lose then other countries will take one of the 4 medals (1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze).
But in before WTTCs even if 3 of Chinese guys lost then still china has taken all the four medal.
So we will probably see more none-chinese players to win a medal there. But Gold medal will still be in hands of China.