your eyes when you serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Ok so while working on my serve the other day it occurred to me for the first time that I don't know exactly where to look when i'm serving. It didnt bother me before but now that ive thought of it, its driving me nuts. I play tennis, and obviously on serve you look at the ball the whole way through and do so on every ground stroke as well- you know where the court is, no reason to look at anything but the ball or the racquet. But with the precision needed for a table tennis serve, when I tunnel vision on the ball I often lose track of my paddle and whiff it when I go for a particularly spinny short backspin serve (basically my shitty knockoff of ma lin's :p). My eyes generally tend to roam back and forth to try and encompass the paddle and the ball and I can position myself to where im looking down at the ball and see the whole action but it feels awkward and deception is more difficult. Just curious to hear you guys' thoughts on this, thanks!

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
The most important thing is plenty of practice.with practice comes perfection.when perfection is there,youll know exactly where the ball is.But start of by looking at the ball the whole time,from throw until contact.
Agree with you. Practicing is the most important. Some month ago i practice serves nearly 1 hour per day and after than and until know i'm able to serve simple down spin services with eyes closed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Agree with you. Practicing is the most important. Some month ago i practice serves nearly 1 hour per day and after than and until know i'm able to serve simple down spin services with eyes closed.

Wow! And we all know abt Der Echte and what he did in he army.

EDIT: I realize my post was off topic. This is about the eyes. So I think the point is that if you practice enough that you can get your good serve nearly 100%, then it doesn't matter where you are. Alborz, is this what you mean? If so, I agree haha

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews

A real master of serve was Jan-ove Waldner(there are others too).look at videos of him a see how many a time he aint even looking at the ball when serving.Instead he looking at the opponents side of the table.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
A real master of serve was Jan-ove Waldner(there are others too).look at videos of him a see how many a time he aint even looking at the ball when serving.Instead he looking at the opponents side of the table.
Yes, he is the master of service. I also love ZJK and ML services. Almost all of the time the contact of the ball and bat is under their head and shoulder so they can not see it but still their serves are pretty damn short and spiny. TT gods!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wow! And we all know abt Der Echte and what he did in he army.

EDIT: I realize my post was off topic. This is about the eyes. So I think the point is that if you practice enough that you can get your good serve nearly 100%, then it doesn't matter where you are. Alborz, is this what you mean? If so, I agree haha

I could only practice a few minutes a day in Iraq in the same trailer where everyone uses IP phone to call home. 3-5 balls bouncing makes a loud racket, so I practiced just a few minutes for a compromise.

Here is a serve sequence a club ower took of me from a visit to his club in 2011. I look like I is in a trance watching the ball haha.

http://cafe438.daum.net/_c21_/bbs_s...enc=&q=&nil_profile=cafetop&nil_menu=sch_updw

Unrelated is BH topspin sequence. Looking at the ball is important, so is being in position.

I am the dude in purple uniform onn the bottom two sequences.

http://cluster1.cafe.daum.net/_c21_...nArticle=true&docid=1NO8nCS1I6220120319234118

Reactions: agold