When to call a Let

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone. Just came back from a tournament. I was in a match, and I had already served and was in the middle of the rally, and I had an advantage a well. Then my opponent called a let, because someone retrieved their ball, which was behind me. Are you allowed to call a let in the middle of a point, not after or during a serve? It didn't really end up mattering, but I'm just wondering. Thanks!

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
Izrezak.jpg

Mahomedy please, noone likes to see this. Please try only to post something that really helps around here, or some kind of interesting

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
In my club a let will always be called immediately another ball enters our "court", whether it inconveniences anyone or nor. That's the convention, everyone there does it and no-one complains. I personally don't call it if it's at the other end and behind the player(s), but I don't make a fuss if someone else calls it. Of course these are only "friendly" games - if there is ever such a thing in table tennis - I've no idea what they do in league games because I don't go there in the evenings.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is a let if there is a disturbance that would affect the point and (like in USA where there are zero umpires) someone clearly calls let or raises hand to indicate it.

Some people wouldn't even think of calling a let for that (like me) and what constitutes a disturbance varies. In this case, it appears opponent properly called a let. A ball AND a person were behind you in your court. What is bad in USA tourneys is we line up tables next to each other without barriers (like in Korea, but they stack twice as many tables together) and there is nothing to prevent balls and people from frequently going into court. We have lets every minute and that really sucks when trying to have any continuity in a match.

Koreans solve this by maikng lets ONLY when you contact someone physically, when the ball hits someone on the other court before the ground, or when another ball bounces on the table in a rally. That is it, anything else like someone is under your table retrieving a ball, is 10 cm behind you retrieving a ball, or 3 different balls hit you right when you are hitting.... none of that is a let there. Well, at least the match isn't broken up by 25 lets like it is in USA.