Backhand sidespin flick

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Do you know how to flip the ball with just regular topspin? Because if you haven't learned to do this yet you shouldn't be worrying about a banana flip or sidespin flip which is much more advanced.

To do a BH Flip with just topspin rotate your forearm (for righthanders) counter clockwise which should make the racket head (top of racket) point back towards your stomach, Keep your elbow out and at 90 degrees and then rotate the forearm clockwise making sure to contact the ball at the top of it's bounce. You want to rotate the forearm quickly to produce enough racket speed to overpower your opponents spin.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Once you practice a little, banana flick is higher percentage, but not as troublesome to better players. The banana flick doesn't produce a lot of topspin or pace, it simply is a one way to safely receive the serve and make a little of an offensive shot. Often, just a little offensive is enough to win or set you up to win the point. At the least, it is a stronger option than simply pushing the ball back vs a powerful and consistent opponent. The regular flick is a lot more dynamic and troublesome, many more options heavy, medium, no-spin and any amount of pace, but reading spin to the letter is essential. With banana flick, reading the amount of spin isn't so critical, the timing of your sideswipe acceleration is the important piece. That takes a little practice, but you can handle many different spins with essentially the same shot.

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Once you practice a little, banana flick is higher percentage, but not as troublesome to better players. The banana flick doesn't produce a lot of topspin or pace, it simply is a one way to safely receive the serve and make a little of an offensive shot. Often, just a little offensive is enough to win or set you up to win the point. At the least, it is a stronger option than simply pushing the ball back vs a powerful and consistent opponent. The regular flick is a lot more dynamic and troublesome, many more options heavy, medium, no-spin and any amount of pace, but reading spin to the letter is essential. With banana flick, reading the amount of spin isn't so critical, the timing of your sideswipe acceleration is the important piece. That takes a little practice, but you can handle many different spins with essentially the same shot.

Yes, but the banana flick is easier for me, because not as much spin must be produced. It is harder to do a down the line though.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I agree bananna flick is an easier and safer option to handle underspin serves once you learn teh timing of it. You do not have to be able to read the AMOUNT of underspin as well as you would vs a regular flick. That is why I think it is easier, but it takes some practice to learn the step in, arm position, wrist motion and timing of the stroke. Once learned well enough, I think it is an easier and safer way to make a positive shot vs an underspin serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
has got nothing to do with your rubbers buddy, unless you are trying it with long pips or anti. I think there is already enough information provided here for you to understand the basics of this technique. Now if you want us to help you with where you are going wrong, you can post a video of yourself trying to do this shot from different angles.

Reactions: agold