China Team View Adam Bobrows Laptop!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Check out Adam Bobrow's story when he commentated at the recent China Open 2014!

So my first day in mainland China and I didn't know exactly how things worked with the World Tour and my contacts, rides, etc., so took a bus to a hotel that I thought I might be staying at. Apparently when I mentioned that hotel EVERYONE new it and it was a very famous 5-star hotel. I showed up and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Everything was gold plated and as fancy as can be. I noticed Seiya Kishikawa (Japanese superstar) out in front and realized I was around familiar people.

adambobrowchinateam.jpg

I was hopeful and approached the front desk. I was VERY happy to learn that they had my name and a room booked for me. I was gonna go up to my room, but I saw a lot of top players walking a certain direction so I figured there was something worth going to and followed the trail. I got to this CRAZY, fancy buffet and it turns out that it was all included with my room for all meals, all day. I looked around and didn't have anyone in particular to sit with. I traveled alone and since I had recently met the Austrian team coach, I asked him if I could join but he told me that the one seat left was actually taken.

I was then looking around the room and the next table over had the majority of the Chinese men's national team sitting there. It was Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, Yan An, Wang Hao and one of their recognizable coaches. I thought "how cool would THAT be... why not?!?!?! Just ask... I mean... YES they're AMAZING players and superstars, but they're still just people... besides, Ma Long and Fan Zhendong should remember me from our video at the WTTTC in Tokyo."

So I walked over, said hi to Ma Long and Fan Zhendong with a big smile and they clearly remembered me and were friendly. I said to Ma Long "care if I join you?" and he signaled with his hand "go right ahead."

So I set a plate down and put my jacket over the seat so no one would take it (the seat) and got REALLY giddy. haha. I was thinking "What would I say??? What if I feel like an intruder? What if they don't really speak any English?" I came back with several plates of food and sat quietly to feel things out. I realized that Ma Long spoke more English than most so I chatted him up a bit. It was clear that the team was talking about the upcoming World Cup in Brazil and that they all like soccer. I asked them about their favorite teams and believe it or not, Yan An speaks even better English than Ma Long.

After a bit of conversation, I can't remember if Ma Long asked me if I am playing the China Open or if I just wanted to show him a video to make him laugh... either way, I showed him the Excessive Ping Pong Celebration and he immediately started laughing. When it got to the end he laughed even more and called over Xu Xin and the rest of the guys at the table and told them they needed to see this. So Ma Long brought my computer over to the other side of the table and as I watched world ranked 1, 2, 3, 6 and 9 crowding around my computer and smiling... I thought... 'I wish others could see this. No one would ever believe me" so I took a photo. After a bit more chatting, they had to go rest and excused themselves... but Ma Long hung around for a few extra minutes to chat with me about how he is learning to pop and wants to really learn some cool dancing. Then Ma Long had to leave too, so he said see you later and I was suddenly sitting alone.

I looked around to see if there was anyone else to sit with. Near by, Xu Xin and Zhang Jike were eating, so I figured... "why not? I'm on a roll and if I learned ANYTHING from what just happened... it's basically just reminding me of my life mantra 'GO FOR IT!'" So I walked about to them and said "are you gonna be here for a bit?" Xu Xin nodded "yes" and I said "can I join you?" He looked a little confused... maybe he didn't understand what I said... so I gestured that I wanted to scoot in and he welcomed me.

So as I sat there with Xu Xin and Zhang Jike, I learned that despite my impressions from Tokyo, Zhang Jike actually speaks more English than Xu Xin and is a friendly guy with a sense of humor. We talked about Sichuanese, his coach, his favorite soccer team, the music we like and he even made a joke pretending to be from a different part of China and shortly after LAUGHED! I later taught Xu Xin the USC Ping Pong Posse handshake, which he did with me when he saw me the following day at the buffet and that was only the first TWO HOURS after I arrived at my hotel in Chengdu.

Sometimes we ask people how they're doing and they say "livin' the dream" and I never say that... but at times it feels like it... the only different is... if this was a dream, I wouldn't remember it so clearly to share it with you in detail and I wouldn't be able to take a picture. Good thing it's a reality. I'll just have to keep dreaming bigger 8>D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
A man goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, wherever I touch, it hurts."
The doctor asks, "What do you mean?"
The man says, "When I touch my shoulder, it really hurts. If I touch my knee - OUCH! When I touch my forehead, it really, really hurts."
The doctor says, "I know what's wrong with you - you've broken your finger!" read more......

This troll is irritating me