Who do you think will win the Japan Open 2014 - ITTF World Tour?

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chen Chien-An

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tang Peng

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Andrej Gacina

• Masato Shiono

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Patrick Franziska

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I agree with what you said as well. Actually my impression was that Yu Ziyang's cry was very loud indeed but actually it made it seem more so that innately he was afraid but was putting on a mask to hide this. I think everyone is different, some cry louder, some much less. If you compare only the top chinese players, I would argue Zhang Jike>Ma Long or Xu Xin in showing his confidence (whether in his cries or the fact he takes off his shirt after winning the world championships). Some people see it as disrespectful, others see it as the confidence of the champion, it's very narrow indeed the fine line between showing confidence (or at least pretending confidence) and seeming arrogant. Thats why everyone likes different players (besides differences in technical style). Yu Ziyang I think is basically following alot of the other chinese players, we will see what he seems like in the future. By the way, I heard a few things he said after winning the match (it was recorded on camera in chinese) and he seemed pretty normal to me, he didn't seem cocky to me at all, more like an excited teenager, as he should be after winning a Tour against a top player :)

By the way, I just saw the semi-final replay between Mizutani and Muramatso (apologies if misspelt) and I have to sympathise that Mizutani must have been drained of energy after that testing duel. I think Mizutani played below par, probably because of the toughness of semi-final and also a bit nervous in front of expectant home crowd in the finals when he was clear favourite. In fact crowd was really quiet after Mizutani lost, I feel very sorry for him, I have similar experiences before in chess, it feels terrible to disappoint your own country in front of home crowd, the feeling is doubly hurtful. Better luck for him next time!

Indeed shouting boosts confidence. Talking about Zhang Jike, you reminded me the "ChOOO" he made against Wang Hao at the 2013 WTTC Final after taking the 4th set 14-12 (after being down 7-10 and won a spectacular BH-BH rally to make it 13-12). ZJK did not make that CHO towards Wang Hao; Yu Ziyang CHO-ed against Tang Peng as they were both going to their respective towels.. Can you imagine that; they were heading towards each other and Yu Ziyang just cho-ed as loud as he can... I do not know if he was arrogant; but what I observed was that he intended of or thought about doing it; there was like a second or two delay between winning the set and the CHO. Regarding the confidence of the champion, I am sure many of us here still doubt the validity of Yu Ziyang being the champion. Of course, the way we view a player's attitude is very subjective. But another opinion, if he was really following the top chinese players, I am quite sure ML XX ZJK WH won't be proud of this. :)

Btw, I haven't watch Mizutani vs Muramatsu; I am sure though Mizutani was drained.

Out of this line of topic, I was really annoyed that Mizutani's coach won't stand up to the umpire to argue with him. Remember at the last 2014 WTTTC, Li Ching was already shouting to the umpire (HKG vs JPN; home crowd was so loud in cheering) to fight for the team himself. [well that was really a dispute; do not want to explain further to go totally out of topic) HKG was down 8-10; the player fought it back to 10-10. Credits to the coach.
Another one was at the 2012 Olympics: Jiang Tianyi vs Kim Hyok Bong. Jiang was faulted at 6-6 because of time-wasting. Chan Kon Wah stood up and even went beside the umpire. Jiang trailed 6-7 and lost two points to make it 6-9. But I am sure Jiang knew his coach wanted him to win (shown by the coach fighting for him, under the risk of another red card). He fought back from 7-10 to make it 10-10. Jiang won 15-13. Credits to the coach. So the coach is not just there for nothing. I really do not know why Mizutani's coach was just watching (maybe just mumbling).... Sorry if my examples digressed too much; I just wanted to point out the importance of the coach.

Reactions: MegaZZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Maze vs Malong in quarter final match of 2009 WTTC ,the first game 7:5,Maze said "Ask him,Ask him""Ma long ,please".Mizutani should do that like Maze "Yu ziyang,please".Let's see what would happen

Reactions: MegaZZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
While we may argue the sportsmanship of Yu Ziyang, should not we also question the mental toughness of Mizutani? He is the veteran player, against some young upstart. He was ahead by 2, and while 8-4 is clearly different from 7-5, should he not have been able to mentally regroup? In his defense, I think he did regroup - he won the next game, didn't he?. I think it was more exhaustion, perhaps both physical and mental - he played a heck of a tournament.

Congrats on his doubles victory - that was a fun match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Kishikawa played a great doubles final - something about that seems to favor him. Of course he had a great partner.

I wonder if his coach is not playing to his strengths - he probably isn't the fastest athlete, so emphasizing the upper body and blocking game and backhands may be his best option.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Kishikawa played a great doubles final - something about that seems to favor him. Of course he had a great partner.

I wonder if his coach is not playing to his strengths - he probably isn't the fastest athlete, so emphasizing the upper body and blocking game and backhands may be his best option.

Watching the doubles,seiya really used his legs in some of the points.but he played incredible with jun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
In doubles, one usually has more time between another hit, it might favor Seiya's slower reaction time. It might be just his current physical & mental condition though. He used to be very fast and committed a few years back.

Well this allows you to give 100% in shots, which is why I love doubles. They should take advantage of that. Seiya played well, although many of his shots were meant to setup Jun and not the opposite.

i watched the final and the point in question was claimed by yu ziyang (23:35 on the ittv video), notice how after the scorer changes the score he claims the point ... or am i misreading it?

edit : i'm going to have to re-watch the whole sequence again as some people on mytt pointed out that the scorer awarded the point and the umpire backed him up ... then yu ziyang made the gesture. in this case it would not necessarily be claiming the point, but questioning the umpire if the ball did hit the table.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I watch the video of the finals.. all i can say is "very poor decision by the officials". I dont care about who wins aslong as the officiating is solid and fair.. it is a sin to commit a bad call on a finals.
Regarding the shouting of this young talented boy every point well it is just fine aslong as he wont approach his opponent and shout infront of his face.
It only shows that the officials are not paying attention to the game... 40mm ball is alot slower that 38mm ball which disappears on sight when we smash so hard.

My question- since mizutani question that call why did the officials didnt went back to look at the replay on the recording ?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Here is something I noticed:

An umpire is meant to make the game fair. But because both players thought it was JM's point, it would have been awarded to him if there was no umpire.
Well, they both thought that it was Jun's point, but Yu claimed it as his point.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Well, they both thought that it was Jun's point, but Yu claimed it as his point.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Yes, but he only claimed the point because he had the umpire to back him up. Both players thought it was clearly out, and the only reason one of them said it was in was because the umpire said so.