Xu Xin righthanded?

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.
Don't know but Noshad Almiyan is right handed but plays with his left hand. He also switches his hands a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Could be ambidextrous or cross-dominate, where he does things like write, eat, etc with the right hand while doing other things like play table tennis with his left.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
In Baseball, it is actually pretty common to hit left handed but throw right handed. Sometimes it is because lefties have a slight advantage on right handed pitchers. Maybe it is the same thing?
my friend is a lefty and plays table tennis using his right. he tried playing with his left and did not like it idk why :D<br/>

I have a friend that is the same way. He eats left handed, plays table tennis left handed, throws right handed, writes right handed, etc. And he can't switch hands in each of these tasks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I have it same - I am lefthanded (I am writing whith my left hand, I am playing hockey with stick on the left, I eat with knife and fork conversely and so on), but I am playing table tennis in my right hand. I also throw with my right hand and I am playing football with my right leg. Why I have it too strange combined, I dont know- but it for me natural to do some thinks with that or those hand :D

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.

Yes, XU Xin is right handed. But during his early period, when still was 7-9 years old, his coach found that his left hand is much more stronger and better than his right hand for TT. So he decided to train Xu Xin left hand instead.

In fact, there are many left handed people, who is better to use their right hand on certain stuff.

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Yes, I think he is right-handed too. We can see him sign at the end of matches with his right hand.
In tennis, it's the same thing for Nadal. His coach told him to play with his left hand when he was young because it's a little "advantage" because there is less left handed players but he is a righty too.
I think Ding Ning signs with her right hand too and there are others left-handed chinese players who do the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Another funny thing, in tennis again, Maria Sharapova (winner of the French Open) plays with her right hand in tennis but when sometimes we can see her play table tennis, she plays with her left hand. (I think she's naturally a lefty and only play tennis with her right hand)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It's actually recommended in sport science for athletes to practice with their non dominant hand to help visualize their technique and better understand the body mechanics. In Nadal's case he originally trained right handed because he was a righty, but they tested out his left hand and found that it was much better overall and more natural for him.

In Sharapova's situation it's very similar, her left hand is naturally better at forehands than her right hand was, but her right hand is naturally better at backhands than her left hand was.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
In neuroscience scientists talk about the configuration of the brain and it's correlation with the dominant hand. A couple of years ago, some scientists concluded that you are either a righty or a non righty. If you do many things with your left hand, you may be farther on the spectrum to the left, but a righty has no opposite. This is why "lefties" do many more things with their right hand than righties do with their left. (This is still controversial)

I am a "lefty," but I bowl, play frisbee, play pool, etc with my right hand. It may not be that difficult for lefties to play TT right handed, like Sharapova, and we have indeed seen more of that in this thread. That would explain that

It is also controversial what makes a righty or a lefty. It may be the hand chosen or the stronger and more capable hand. Xu Xin may be a chosen righty although his left hand is stronger. Perhaps his coach noticed that, as was said above.

Reactions: Alborz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Yes, also everybody has a dominant eye (left or right) and it is believed, in tennis, that the interaction between the dominant eye and the hand which hold the racket favor the backhand or the forehand (Nadal's coach explain that in a report on him). For example, Nadal has a right dominant eye and play with left hand. Federe has a left dominant eye and play with his right hand. People with these features tend to have a big/good forehand. Others (left eye/left hand and right eye/right hand) have a better backhand.

Of course I'm not 100% sure it's always exact but there is some serious researches and it makes sense when we see examples (there is some simple tests to find your dominant eye, just search on internet).

However, I don't know if this is the same in TT because the swing of the arm is maybe a little bit less large.

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Ok,thank you for the confirmation.
Now I'm thinking about it, maybe Ma Long and Xu Xin are crossed (left/right , right/left) while Zhang Jike and Dima are parallel (right/right). ;)
(I'm joking but maybe it's really true !?)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
give you guys some facts. i thought these were known, because you can see players signing the results using their writing hand. so im sure most players know this.

Xu Xin, Chen Qi, Hao Shuai (I am not that sure about hao shuai), Jun Mizutani all write with their right hands. There are many more, but these are the ones ontop of my mind. I believe in asian country, it used to be that people force their children to use their right hand (or maybe they never considered using their left.)

Reactions: lasta