Xu Xin righthanded?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
whats the difference if you were trained with your opposite hand rather than your normal/natural hand?

I think if one hand is stronger than the other, it has an advantage if you play with it. But of course it is very small, and many players lift weights with only the hand they play with which would balance it out and is very helpful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.
Rafael Nadal is right handed and plays with his left hand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
He said he is righthanded, but he discovered one day when he was young that he could bounce the ball so much better with his left hand. That's how he started to play with his left hand.

Source:
(at 5m20s)

PS: Apologies for multiple posts. I can't include links before I have at least 5 posts.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.
this is totally incorrect as many people whom i know use their right hand in everything, yet while playing table tennis they use their left hand, it is actually possible and makes sense.plus, me too i am a right handed who uses left while playing and i am succeeding and getting better everyday. so reaching the full potential is possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
whoever teach xu xin to play with his left hand is a genius, he never thought xu xin would be one the greatest player someday

maybe that was a secret masterplan by an evil coach genius? :D

this is totally incorrect as many people whom i know use their right hand in everything, yet while playing table tennis they use their left hand, it is actually possible and makes sense.plus, me too i am a right handed who uses left while playing and i am succeeding and getting better everyday. so reaching the full potential is possible.

That's an interesting topic.
Yes, playing left hand gives you an advantage, so it makes sense. But how did you manage to do that? Cause I think it's a lot harder to start learning to play with the "other" hand? Did you do that intentionally? How old were you when you started training?

p.s. that's an ancient topic by the way :)

This user has no status.
Yes, XU Xin is right handed. But during his early period, when still was 7-9 years old, his coach found that his left hand is much more stronger and better than his right hand for TT. So he decided to train Xu Xin left hand instead.

In fact, there are many left handed people, who is better to use their right hand on certain stuff.

Funny, I've heard the same thing about Jun Mizutani. I wonder if its true for both, for one, or just one of those stories that spreads.