Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 35 173
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 173 35

Xu Xin righthanded?

So, I found this video and I noticed that he does many things with the right hand like inserting the keycard or changing channel with the remote control, eating, applying the glue to the sponge. Could be just stupid little things but maybe he's really a righthanded and he has been trained to play with the left hand?

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 492 1,777
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,777 492

User Info Menu

now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 333 1,253
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,253 333
    Quote Originally Posted by mahomedy13
    now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.
    Don't know but Noshad Almiyan is right handed but plays with his left hand. He also switches his hands a lot.
    Zhang Jike : Man Of Steel
    Never give up without a fight
    Nothing is more risky than playing table tennis without risk

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 43
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 43 0
    my friend is a lefty and plays table tennis using his right. he tried playing with his left and did not like it idk why

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 1
    A
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

May 2014
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Could be ambidextrous or cross-dominate, where he does things like write, eat, etc with the right hand while doing other things like play table tennis with his left.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 14
    G
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 14 2

User Info Menu

In Baseball, it is actually pretty common to hit left handed but throw right handed. Sometimes it is because lefties have a slight advantage on right handed pitchers. Maybe it is the same thing?
    my friend is a lefty and plays table tennis using his right. he tried playing with his left and did not like it idk why <br/>

I have a friend that is the same way. He eats left handed, plays table tennis left handed, throws right handed, writes right handed, etc. And he can't switch hands in each of these tasks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 80
    A
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 80 10
    I have it same - I am lefthanded (I am writing whith my left hand, I am playing hockey with stick on the left, I eat with knife and fork conversely and so on), but I am playing table tennis in my right hand. I also throw with my right hand and I am playing football with my right leg. Why I have it too strange combined, I dont know- but it for me natural to do some thinks with that or those hand

The Following User Likes alexander.groh's Post:

fais

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 44 671
    D
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 671 44
    Quote Originally Posted by mahomedy13
    Yes, XU Xin is right handed. But during his early period, when still was 7-9 years old, his coach found that his left hand is much more stronger and better than his right hand for TT. So he decided to train Xu Xin left hand instead.

In fact, there are many left handed people, who is better to use their right hand on certain stuff.

The Following User Likes dici's Post:

agold

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 248 302
    J
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 302 248

User Info Menu

Jun 2014
    France
    Read 2 Reviews
    Yes, I think he is right-handed too. We can see him sign at the end of matches with his right hand.
    In tennis, it's the same thing for Nadal. His coach told him to play with his left hand when he was young because it's a little "advantage" because there is less left handed players but he is a righty too.
    I think Ding Ning signs with her right hand too and there are others left-handed chinese players who do the same.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 54 193
    T
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 193 54
    Rafa Nadal is right handed but his coach started to train him to play with his left hand becouse with left hand his two handed bh would become a much more effective. Quite good decision if you ask me.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 179 735
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 735 179
    Great post and this is great information. I have found that playing with my left hand gives me an advantage and I play worse against lefties.

This user has no status.

J
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jun 2014
    France
    Read 2 Reviews
    Another funny thing, in tennis again, Maria Sharapova (winner of the French Open) plays with her right hand in tennis but when sometimes we can see her play table tennis, she plays with her left hand. (I think she's naturally a lefty and only play tennis with her right hand)

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 69 912
    M
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 912 69
    It's actually recommended in sport science for athletes to practice with their non dominant hand to help visualize their technique and better understand the body mechanics. In Nadal's case he originally trained right handed because he was a righty, but they tested out his left hand and found that it was much better overall and more natural for him.

In Sharapova's situation it's very similar, her left hand is naturally better at forehands than her right hand was, but her right hand is naturally better at backhands than her left hand was.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 179 735
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 735 179
    In neuroscience scientists talk about the configuration of the brain and it's correlation with the dominant hand. A couple of years ago, some scientists concluded that you are either a righty or a non righty. If you do many things with your left hand, you may be farther on the spectrum to the left, but a righty has no opposite. This is why "lefties" do many more things with their right hand than righties do with their left. (This is still controversial)

I am a "lefty," but I bowl, play frisbee, play pool, etc with my right hand. It may not be that difficult for lefties to play TT right handed, like Sharapova, and we have indeed seen more of that in this thread. That would explain that

It is also controversial what makes a righty or a lefty. It may be the hand chosen or the stronger and more capable hand. Xu Xin may be a chosen righty although his left hand is stronger. Perhaps his coach noticed that, as was said above.

The Following User Likes agold's Post:

Alborz

This user has no status.

J
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jun 2014
    France
    Read 2 Reviews
    Yes, also everybody has a dominant eye (left or right) and it is believed, in tennis, that the interaction between the dominant eye and the hand which hold the racket favor the backhand or the forehand (Nadal's coach explain that in a report on him). For example, Nadal has a right dominant eye and play with left hand. Federe has a left dominant eye and play with his right hand. People with these features tend to have a big/good forehand. Others (left eye/left hand and right eye/right hand) have a better backhand.

Of course I'm not 100% sure it's always exact but there is some serious researches and it makes sense when we see examples (there is some simple tests to find your dominant eye, just search on internet).

However, I don't know if this is the same in TT because the swing of the arm is maybe a little bit less large.

The Following User Likes John18's Post:

anchorschmidt

Last edited by John18; 06-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 279 714
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 714 279
    John18 what you found on the internet is correct.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

J
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jun 2014
    France
    Read 2 Reviews
    Ok,thank you for the confirmation.
    Now I'm thinking about it, maybe Ma Long and Xu Xin are crossed (left/right , right/left) while Zhang Jike and Dima are parallel (right/right).
    (I'm joking but maybe it's really true !?)

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 43 169
    P
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 169 43

User Info Menu

Oct 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    give you guys some facts. i thought these were known, because you can see players signing the results using their writing hand. so im sure most players know this.

Xu Xin, Chen Qi, Hao Shuai (I am not that sure about hao shuai), Jun Mizutani all write with their right hands. There are many more, but these are the ones ontop of my mind. I believe in asian country, it used to be that people force their children to use their right hand (or maybe they never considered using their left.)

The Following User Likes perniciousnc's Post:

lasta

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 70 372
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 372 70
    Two of my young nephews were taught to use their right hand for eating, writing, etc. even though they are left handed.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 16
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 16 1
    Well, I am right handed guy but eventually learned playing with my left hand and just sucks when trying with my right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast