Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
The world rankings for May have just come out from the ITTF and here are the listings below. No change at the top 10 as Wang Hao maintains world number 1 position. Ranking poriod released 25/05/2011 by ITTF.

Mens

wanghao.jpg

Photo Source: Xinhua/Liu Dawe

1) Wang Hao
2) Timo Boll
3) Zhang Jike
4) Ma Lin
5) Ma Long
6) Xu Xin
7) Jun Mizutani
8) Vladimir Samsonov
9) Wang Liqin
10) Joo Se Hyuk

The only tournament between April and May rankings was the Spanish Open 2011. The Korean team had a big display of players at the tournament, thus they were the players to shine on the ITTF World Ranking. The winner of the Spanish Open was Oh Sang Eun. He moved up the world ranking to 11 position only 25 points outside the top 10.

Lee Jung Woo, Oh Sang Euns team mate from Korea also advanced in the world rankings. He is now ranked at 20, previously he was ranked 28 in the April rankings.

Women's

xin_47210061207572182354615.jpg

Photo by: xinhua

1) Li Xiaoxia
2) Guo Yan
3) Ding Ning
4) Guo Yue
5) Liu Shiwen
6) Feng Tianwei
7) Ai Fukuhara
8) WU Yang
9) Kim Kyung Ah
10) Kasumi Ishikawa

No changes made in the top 5 of the women's ranking however, Wu Yang from China has broken in the top 10 being placed in 8. Pushing Kim and Kasumi down one postion. Wang Yue of Singapore dropped 4 places into 12th postion.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I have to be a Boll- fan because I live in Germany ? :D Ofc I would be happy when Boll wins the title, maybe there would a little tt-boom in Germany ;) Actually I want to see good table tennis :p a boll vs ma long in the final would be epic

Haha totally agree :)

@StealthAsassin I think your right,

Guys with the new world rankings as Wang Hao 1... and Boll 2 does this mean these two players can only meet in the final?

Haha totally agree :)

@StealthAsassin I think your right,

Guys with the new world rankings as Wang Hao 1... and Boll 2 does this mean these two players can only meet in the final?

yeah i agree maybe ma long has something off his sleeve LOL :)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Good to see Joo hanging in there, be interesting to see if Oh can crack on further up the list at WTTC :p so much potential from so many players to perform well! I don't know why but I feel this WTTC is just going to be the climax of all WTTC ever, I feel like we've been waiting for it for a LOOONG time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
If they do the WTTC bracket using the traditional method based off the rankings we see here, that would mean that Wang Hao would be at the top of the bracket, and Boll will be at the bottom. The 2 and 3 player would meet at the bottom half of the semi finals, while the 1 and 4 would meet at the upper half of the semifinal. If this is indeed the way they will do it then Boll would be facing ZJK in the semifinals if everything went according to rankings. Ma Long should also be technically in the bottom half of the bracket, while Xu Xin would be in the top half. That would be kind of weird, because all the penhold players would be stuck in the upper half of the bracket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Semi finals will be Xu xin vs timo boll and wang hao vs ma long and final will be wang hao vs xu xin.

Wang hao ftw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Joo staying consistently in the top 10s proved that defensive style is effective even in the world stage.

One of the great strengths of choppers is that they are pretty rare. For example most choppers in the US are significantly under rated in terms of their points because when they actually get to play higher level players a lot of them haven't had a lot of opportunities to play against a really high quality chopper. When probably at least 80 percent of the players you play as a professional will be offensive styles, that really limits the time you have to invest on playing against defensive styles. Most players probably don't spend that much time practicing against choppers except in tournaments when they know there is a big chance they will come up against one.

Overall, I still would prefer to be an offensive player, because generally, I find the chopping style kind of monotonous. And also, if both players are playing at their best, offensive style play generally always trumps defensive style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Well said, scylla :D
Yep chopper is a rare breed, therefore rarely anticipated.

Im aware about the fact that table tennis nowadays favors offensive style more (the equipment esp.) and thats one of the reason why I want to be a chopper.
To win as a chopper, you need more effort and wits, and someday I believe that choppers will have a great arsenal against attackers.
Its like winning a F1 race with a sports car you know. And when you know how to win, you just need to upgrade your car to be the absolute winner. Its just too bad that only some people are eager to learn and develop defensive style, the contrary happens to offensive style.

Quite a dream eh ?
I also believe that being a chopper helps me to train my emotion and mentality to be different, for my life is not only consisted of table tennis and I need a different mentality that suits my personality, in this case table tennis helps :D Thats why I prefer to be a defensive player (but still an aggresive one ;) )

Thx for your great post, bro :)