Difference between white and yellow balls?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
I always choose the ball that stands out the most, with more contrast to the ambient color ^^

says Aging is a killer
It's more the background that's the problem

I used to play TT in a squash court. I generally had no problem when looking downwards at the table using either colour ball. But once I was back from the table looking upwards I lost track of the ball whether orange or white.
This is not scientific, but look at this video. The camera has no problem when the ball is low over the table. But once the ball bounces high so the walls form the background, the camera loses the ball. That is, it more or less disappears from view. I don't think an orange ball would have helped.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
What is the difference between the white and yellow TT balls?

Which is best to practice and standards?
when the latest plastic arrived, they only made white ones. I don't know if they have started to make orange or yellow ones. If you have the old yellow/orange ball they will be celluloid which play differently from new plastic

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
when the latest plastic arrived, they only made white ones. I don't know if they have started to make orange or yellow ones. If you have the old yellow/orange ball they will be celluloid which play differently from new plastic

I am just making sure you know this thread is from 2014. So, from just before they switched to the 40+ Poly balls.

And the OP has not made a post since 2014.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer

Yes. Tibhar. I have a few but players don't like them. They were used at a tournament but even then the players weren't enthused.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
2743pic3668.jpg

i have such balls.

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/dhs-40-bicolour-10-balls-seam

Reactions: Atas Newton
says Aging is a killer
Why didn't the players like them? We're still using orange celluloid balls but it looks like aliexpress sellers are finally running out of stock. I'm looking for a good 3* orange plastic ball.

IMO, they just did not like having to adjust. It's been a few years since orange balls were widespread.

Reactions: Atas Newton