fitness and tabletennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
My question is, is fitness bad for your game.

I mean i know when you just go to the gym to run or do some light weights its ok, but is lifting heavy weights really that bad? If so please tell me why. Because I love to go to the gym and lift heavy weights, just to get a little bit more muscular, I dont want to be a bodybuilder or something but just a little bit more muscular than the average guy.

Is there anyone here doing some exercices to play better table tennis? Or you only practice on the table?

If you got some usefull information on how to work out in the gym that would benefit your table tennis game, pls share your information with me and everyone here on the forum.

This user has no status.
hi

why is it bad?...well...it is bad because this is a sport where you need more flexibility and resistence more than muscles!, if you go heavy on the gym, your muscles tigthen and your mucle's elasticity decreases, giving you less movement on the game, thats why heavy weights in gym are not recomended in sports, im so sorry if i misspelled a word, or if i couldnt express the way you could understand, but im latin, and i really need to practice my english...jajaja...
well to wrap it up and finish, i recomend, that if you want to go to the gym, as a training thing, dont go heavy on the wights, do more reps instead of more weights, and always do a correct stretch up at the end of the sesion, but dont go swazernegger and stuff...cause your game will go to the trashcan....
=D...bye=D
see yaa!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Nah, lifting does not do harm. You can squat more than twice of your weight , or you can bench more than your body weight without getting as big as Anorld. Basically is more about the whole workout plan and your nutrition plan. For example, the combination of polymetric and weightlifting, it tend to increase the explosion, endurance and strength. The only thing need to be careful is dont get injured while doing these stuff.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Well table tennis is about speed and fast footwork. Sure there is nothing wrong with lifting, in the legs it helps to give you explosive power in your quads and calves for longer movements. Obviously an excessive amount of muscle would restrict your movements and potentially make your muscles less relaxed when playing and would add extra weight to your body so moving faster may be hindered. But there are benefits to lifting weights as part of your training regime, it's all about finding the right balance and yes as dici said above be careful not to get injured :)

This user has no status.
S

This user has no status.
you can lift heavy and play at the same time.
however you should have 1 or 2 days of rest between the day you lift and the day you play, otherwise you won't be able to move well.
if someday you want to get to your full potential in table tennis you will eventually have to cut down on weight lifting since it makes you slower, heavier and limits movement of wrist, arm, etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Well my goal is actually to look a little bit like wang liqin. I think hes already to muscled for tabletennis but obviously he doesnt have much probs with flexibility and staying at the top for so long.

There is a vid where you can see his upper body without shirt and its not like a bodybuilder but its pretty damn amazing I think.

I also saw ma long playing without shirt and his chest is muscled aswell. I just dont know how far I can go with it.

Training schedules are always welcome if people have them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
At first i didn't really need the fitness, but as you get better and better, you need it more and more. The higher the level, the more you have to be fit :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Since we are not pros or fitness trainers/dieticians , we are not qualified to answer your question :) . However, as somebody already said muscle bulking up depends on the diet plan also . e.g if you do heavy weights and protein powder you are sure to bulk up. But if you are able to stick to your normal diet it will shape your muscle and not bulk it up. But at the end of weight training you should stretch ( like warm up stretches there is something called cooling down stretches , some videos are there in the internet ) , this actually helps to get rid of the lactic acid accumulation that happens during weight training. Also , it would be good to add fast walking ( not just running ) and jumping rope ( skipping rope ) to your exercise plan. I have noticed my footwork improves if I do these ( even on the day of playing ) .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
The few videos that show Wang Liqin working out and without his shirt are pretty impressive, he is super cut, almost like Bruce Lee. And yet he can still do splits and whatnot, and still is super fast for his size. You just have to concentrate on moderate weights with tons of repetitions, and then make sure that you spend like 30 mins stretching after your workout, you should get stronger without bulking up and losing any flexibility and speed

This user has no status.
S

This user has no status.
actually weight lifting increases flexibility....
wang liqin, ma long, etc combine lots and lots of cardio with regular lifting but not heavy.
remember these guys spend 5 hours a day or more excercising :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
fitness is one of the most important things in table tennis!