What will be the result if i apply it to my rubber?

This user has no status.
What will be the result if i apply it to my rubber?

Rubber tuning or boosting. I read that if you tune your rubber, for example chinese rubbers with hardsponge, if you tune it or boost it hard sponge will become soft to medium sponge and become bouncy and faster.

Now my question is, for example if i tuned a normal chinese rubber what will be the result? It will be like or somewhat like tenergy? or even close? or improve the speed of the chinese rubber?

I am using Yasaka Mark V for my backhand, i'm planning to replace it with chinese rubber that is tuned, because yasaka mark v is slow for me. What do you think?

Thank you! and GodBless.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Hi, the result is relative different because of sponge hardness but the effect is the same as hardsponge.

If you tuned or oiling on normal Chinese rubber, your rubber more softer and better feeling than hardsponge tuned.(owing to dwelling time) I also want to make it like Tenergy and bought a series of Chinese rubbers, then tuned or oiling. But it could not be like the Tenergy because of the fundamental difference.

Finally, If you change Yasaka with tuned Chinese rubber, i think it is a good choice to improve speed but it also more heavy than before.:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi. I think you have to ask yourself what you want achieve by changing and boosting a rubber. If you are looking for a Tenergy rubber then buy one instead of wasting time experimenting. If you need more speed, then I would recommend a tensor rubber instead.

As mahomedy13 said it takes quite a lot to adjust from an euro/jap to a Chinese rubber. So again try to ask yourself why you want to do this?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I guess my reply was like saying that when you ordered some TT equipment it will take between 2 days and 2 years to arrive.

Both Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy tried their best to train me into a top-rate joker, but utterly failed. Only Mr. Bean had any lasting effect. I am a kinda wry dude. :)

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What I like about tuning are several things.

For the record, I do not tune my rubbers that I use for daily play nor for tourneys. I tune a rubber occasionally for the reasons below.

1. Tuning (if done carefully) can soften up an overly hard rubber and give it the desired softness to improve the feel and impact.

I like hard sponged rubbers on certain blades, but sometimes, rock hard is too hard.

2. Tuning is a great way to expand a modern rubber that has shrunk too much, say 2-3 mm smaller than your blade outline.

When I get someone's rubber they are getting rid of and it shrunk too small for my blade, I put a little tuner on the sponge to soften up the glue residue, then remove it and slap on a couple coats of tuner to leave on a couple days. That makes it ready slap on a spare blade to test.

3. Tuning can restore performance to a REALLY old rubber

Sometimes I come across someone's rubber they have had in their TT bag longer than my country's president has been in power. Tuning such a rubber (and cleaning it / wiping topsheet with olive oil) restores a lot of the original properties. An old sheet of Bryce would be a good example.

4. Sometimes one is simply sick of ITTF dictating what the amatures do through natl associations who blindly follow their dictums.

I have never tuned rubbers for this reason, since I am quite satisfied with the performance of Aurus, Evo series and plain ole cheepo XP 2008 Super Power. However, comma, I reserve the ability to do so for the reason above. Korean amature TT is like the wild west. Who you gunna complain to in a tourney? The tourney organizer? Anyone who wants to glue can and will glue up, no one will stop them. However, since gluing up is smelly to do right next to 30 of your club mates in the bleachers and another 300 to 1000 of them in the stands, plus since it is a long process, plus since it is a royal pain in the arse to get right consistently, not that many glue up at tourneys. It is mostly those who want to mess around in the club doing that, although there are a few mavericks around.