Ma Long's chop block

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I could really do with learning this shot. I am going to practice it for a bit I think. I get caught out on my backhand side a fair bit, a chop block like Ma Long would do the trick! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
i tried it and felt difficult(maybe cuz i did it in a wrong way)
however, it seems to be very useful to refuse your opponent :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
after practicing this shot for a while, it's starting getting me points. My chop block is not good as Ma Long, obviously, but the opponents were still surprised and most of the times, it was a point for me, either a direct point or a weak return. My normal block against slow loop is not strong but with this shot, I have a way to win points when attacked by slow loop.

says Aging is a killer
The Chopblock originates from the penhold style, Liu Guoliang used to do it a lot. Obviously you'll have to take the ball very early on the bounce and mustn't wait till it reaches its apex or starts dropping.

The chopblock has been around since tennis was invented 300+ years ago. In other words, where there has been topspin, there has been chop blocks in various forms. They can be subtle like Waldner or outrageous like MaLong and so on.

This user has no status.
The chopblock is used with long pips allot but with inverted it's a bit trickier but it's the same stroke. You need to move your bat horizontally downwards very fast and ever so gently bruising the ball to create backspin. It's all in the timing and brushing of the ball.

Practise makes perfect. :)

Last edited: