China Super League Introduces Two-Colour Ball

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
BREAKING:

This years 2014 China Super League will feature a two-colour toned ball in their matches for the very first time in the history of table tennis! Half of the ball will be orange and half of the ball will be white. DHS is the manufacturer of this ball.

The final of the Chinese Super League begins on the 7th August. You can follow all our updates from the China Super League finals here.

The Chinese Table Tennis Association have introduced this new ball to help fans who don't play table tennis have a better understanding of the sport. Using the two-coloured balls, will allow the rotation will be more visible it is believed. According to China Interactive Sports the Chinese Table Tennis Association proposed to the ITTF at the recent World Team Championships to use the two toned balls in competitions.

twocoloured.jpg

Photo: Two toned ball

What are your thoughts on using the new two-coloured (Orange+White) ball in the China Super League and its effect to the sport in general.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
It is a good idea for watching the slow-motions but for the players its absolutely terrible!

All of the serves will be read by the opponent easily and probably will get smash right away. I have played with a ball that i have painted half of it with blue and i have this problem. Also it confuses the players in fast shots because the ball show different color in each second.
If it was only white and orange the second problem would not happened but it has a black thick line in the center that can confuse the players when the ball spins fast.

Again, its good for watching but its not good for playing with.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I use a ball I have half coloured as a coaching aid to show players the spin.

Some do not like using it too much as they find the rapid/flashing change of colours really off putting.

I wonder what the players think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
But isn't this confusing for the players when playing at the table? I guess when the ball rotates from the massive spinning, it will have an orangey color so it's more uniform and can't distract them.

Not at all, spin will be more "visible" this way and if the color is a problem they can always change it to a more "player friendly" color

This user has no status.
Not at all, spin will be more "visible" this way and if the color is a problem they can always change it to a more "player friendly" color

Well I guess that's just me. Wouldn't it both beneficial for players and spectators if the ball only has one color and the line? Much like those training balls that have lines? But hey they are professional players so I guess they will not be bothered much.

Surprisingly, these changes to our sport to attract spectators are getting pretty annoying for me. I mean, can the ITTF just concentrate on better promotions? And better connections to the lower, "grassroots" table tennis community? But hey, that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I guess we will have to see the impact on the players and spectators to be sure. Colored balls is something Timo Boll has suggested in the past, and if the spin is visible to the spectators ( especially specs that dont know anything about spin in table tennis or havent ever played TT) then I think the change is worth it. The main problem of TT right now is that china has no rival, even the chinese fans are somehow bored and reminisce the 90's era when Europe had strong teams also.

Besides even with perfect promotion ITTF cannot antagonize soccer basketball american football and baseball, these sports are far more intriguing and spectacular in the Western culture

Reactions: harveyaquino
This user has no status.
I do hope all of these changes are worth it. And let's hope that every country strengthens their teams so that anyone can rival china and not just depending on europeans. Because our sport is one of the most diverse (in terms of playing styles, equipments, etc). I hope to see in the future where in tournaments you can't really know who will win because everyone's at par with one another. Hehe.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Remember in an inverview, Ma Lin said player's eyes couldn't stand the two color ball after a few minutes of playing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Using that half colored ball in my opinion is a good decision on their part.. no 1 for fans watching to have a better understanding reg the behavior of the ball and it will definitely look good on camera, no 2 removing that element of surprise for players means one thing..black and white- knowledge vs skill application as they play. No more miss reading on the ball excuses, a test of accuracy and skill execution..

From the book..by the book
May the best robot win!

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Alborz