China Super League Introduces Two-Colour Ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
i think this could be great for the sport as tv spectators will be able to see the spin much more better, and even players who are troubled by playing against pips will learn a lot ;)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
@zjkfanforever just posted this picture! :)

3uja8e6e.jpg

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Dimitirj Ovtccharov has the new two toned ball and quotes, "Today I have seen the two-coloured ball for the first time which will be used in the playoffs of the Superleague soon. It is made of plastic and a little bit bigger than the current ball. After having played the team of my friend Timo Boll Shandong today I'll have the chance to test the new ball in practise. I'll keep you updated!"

10402944_788912081141268_1846674368356182666_n.jpg

Administrator
Oct 2010
According to some sources including Chinese State Sports General Administration and the Southern Metropolis Daily table tennis might be played with the two toned ball in all Internationals and competitions.

In May 2015, each association of the General Assembly of the ITTF will have a chance to vote to use the two toned ball in competitions. If there are enough votes, the orange/white ball will replace existing white balls in international and major competitions. According to a recent survey conducted by the Chinese State Sports General Administration, the two toned ball has become extremely popular overnight with 98% of associations worldwide showing their support.

Full details here in our latest article.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I hope it doesn't replace current balls. It makes serve a disadvantage also it really disturbs player's eyes. With this ball topspin serves will no longer work and every serve will get a lot easier to attack.
I think in got 98% vote because no one actually played with it. When they start playing with it and find out how it destroys serves and disturbs eyes, i think they will change their minds.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I hope it doesn't replace current balls. It makes serve a disadvantage also it really disturbs player's eyes. With this ball topspin serves will no longer work and every serve will get a lot easier to attack.
I think in got 98% vote because no one actually played with it. When they start playing with it and find out how it destroys serves and disturbs eyes, i think they will change their minds.

Of course I agree on first thought, but the ball might be an orange blur even with the black and spin will only be seen in slo mo. We will have to wait until August 7th or until special footage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Of course I agree on first thought, but the ball might be an orange blur even with the black and spin will only be seen in slo mo. We will have to wait until August 7th or until special footage.

From the semi-finals videos, it doesn't seem like the ball help spectators see the spin better (unless in slow-mo replays). I'm curious how the players find it changes their game and it might impact the next generation.

Even if this a failure, I hope it doesn't stop leagues (Chinese or others) from experimenting with new ideas: equipment, rules, venue setup, commentators etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
So the balls used in the semis and final were the plastic two toned balls? (It didn't seem like a big change in the game).

Yes, they were using the plastic two toned balls. Even in HD the colors were only visible during close ups or slow motion replays, and even then I couldn't really read the spin off it. I can't imagine that the spectators could read it either.

Reactions: NDY