A table tennis app for android - suggestions welcome

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Free Download: Table Tennis App for Android - comments & suggestions welcome

Hi everyone,

Here is something that some of you may find of interest. I recently made an android app for table tennis, which started off as a small idea that I wanted to make for myself. After having played table tennis for a few years I realised that our club didn't really track the progress of the players and there were no game records saved other than for the current season. Furthermore, because I never played table tennis before that, I found that sometimes there are certain players with certain tricks and styles of play that just didn't suit me and as a result of which I then kept losing, and then losing again when playing the same players in the rematch a few weeks later - all because I had forgotten the styles and the tricks they used, and the tricks that I used to counter them. That's when I decided to make the app, to allow me to quickly save (after a match) any perceived strengths or weaknesses (or just the style) of the player against whom I just played, but also to keep track of the games (or game scores) for statistics and progress tracking. A few of my friends liked the app and I decided to add some other features and to make it available for use for everyone else. Thus, Table Tennis Caddy was born on Google Play, and I hereby invite all of you to give it a spin and see if you like it. Short link is here: http://bit.ly/ttc_app_2

Feel free to drop here any suggestions for improvement and I will do my best to accommodate the new features as time permits me. The original app was a very rudimentary, simplistic version, but I have since incorporated many of the suggestions as given to me by pros, such as inclusion of a quick-pick list of over 800 rubbers or the ability to share a lot of the information on social networks and/or by email, etc... not to bore you with too many details! Screenshots, full list of features and everything else is on Google Play so feel free to check it out and leave any comments here.

Cheers!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
That's one of the most awesome stuff I've seen in years! I myself tried to begin to do something like that, but in a form of web application.

PS: I tried downloading it in my Xperia S and it does not supports my device =\. I would happily use it here in Brazil!

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks! Can you please tell me which Android version are you running on your Xperia S? I don't know why it's not supported, I thought the number of unsupported devices was at the bare minimum, given that the app doesn't use any advanced features.. Actually I just checked, and it says that Xperia S should be supported :/ If you get any error messages please tell me what they are.

Great, but it doesnt support my bad phone, Galaxy Ace... :(

Thanks, and sorry to hear that. I have a Galaxy Ace somewhere I will test it on it. The list of supported devices also has this phone listed as supported, so I'm not sure why it's not installing :(

If anyone is getting any error messages or any messages at all please post so I that I may attempt to trace the issue.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Wow finally. I was waiting for a table tennis app for ages now - considered learning programming just for that sake.
Can you check if it supports Nexus 5, unfortunately I received an error whilst downloading it.

Thank you

Hmm I am really concerned about these errors now. I have 3 Android devices at the moment and it works without problems on all 3, plus there is another 20 or so users at the moment who seem to be running it fine (or at least have installed it).. And yeah, Nexus 5 is supported. In fact, there are 6509 devices listed as supported and only 136 unsupported. If you are getting error while downloading, then it may not be a matter of unsupported devices, but rather a connection issue. Please check that you have strong signal while downloading and that you have enough free space on your device, and if yes and still error, can you please state what the error says? Thanks for letting me know, and sorry about that. (If error message contains any security information you can pm me, cheers)

This user has no status.
Hmm I am really concerned about these errors now. I have 3 Android devices at the moment and it works without problems on all 3, plus there is another 20 or so users at the moment who seem to be running it fine (or at least have installed it).. And yeah, Nexus 5 is supported. In fact, there are 6509 devices listed as supported and only 136 unsupported. If you are getting error while downloading, then it may not be a matter of unsupported devices, but rather a connection issue. Please check that you have strong signal while downloading and that you have enough free space on your device, and if yes and still error, can you please state what the error says? Thanks for letting me know, and sorry about that. (If error message contains any security information you can pm me, cheers)

I figured out what the problem was. Kinda strange too.
I don't think it was regarding the internet connection though.
When the app finished downloading, it automatically gets stored in the system files of my phone, and I have disabled touching my system files so it was not opening. But it's kinda strange that it would go there don't you think?

Thank you for helping though!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
I figured out what the problem was. Kinda strange too.
I don't think it was regarding the internet connection though.
When the app finished downloading, it automatically gets stored in the system files of my phone, and I have disabled touching my system files so it was not opening. But it's kinda strange that it would go there don't you think?

Thank you for helping though!

No worries, I'm glad you sorted it! I am still concerned though as this will definitely be a problem for other users, but apparently the issue is that if I allow the app to access external storage (which I need to store the database and screenshots), then another permission is added automatically, which causes a side effect on devices running android 4.1 or higher and which have enabled protection of the USB storage, or something... [I need to look into this issue, I originally quoted another person from another site explaining the specifics but let me investigate this properly and report back later]

Hopefully Google team will fix this in the future updates, as I don't think there is anything that I can do, unfortunately..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks! Can you please tell me which Android version are you running on your Xperia S? I don't know why it's not supported, I thought the number of unsupported devices was at the bare minimum, given that the app doesn't use any advanced features.. Actually I just checked, and it says that Xperia S should be supported :/ If you get any error messages please tell me what they are.

Thanks, and sorry to hear that. I have a Galaxy Ace somewhere I will test it on it. The list of supported devices also has this phone listed as supported, so I'm not sure why it's not installing :(

If anyone is getting any error messages or any messages at all please post so I that I may attempt to trace the issue.

Thanks

It's 4.1.2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
It's 4.1.2

The app runs fine on my Note 10.1 which runs 4.1.2, so the issue must be something else. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1. Have you been able to download the app?
2. Have you been able to install it?
3. Do you have an SD card in your Xperia S? (If not, try putting one in)
4. Do you have enabled USB protection or SD card protection in the Developer Options? (If yes, try disabling it)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Bump. Thanks for those who tested the app so far, anyone else on Android is invited to give it a try :)

Also, if anyone has a nice photo that I can use to replace the background I would highly appreciate it. The loose net on the current one is killing my eyes.