Training camp in Zhengding

This user has no status.
Hi,

this is a thread about the table tennis base in Zhengding, China.

I will try to make two posts, one about the actual practice and one about the facilities and travel to Zhengding, China. I met @thethundertt there and he might want to comment on some of the details.

This one is about the practice. Just to give you an idea of what it looks like, see the picture below.

010_small.jpg

Breakfast starts at 07:20 and is followed by practice which starts 08:30.

First, you warm up for about 10 minutes which consists of running around the hall, stretching arms, core and legs.

After that, a grueling experience awaits when the coaches line you up and choose your partner. They try to arrange one Chinese player with one foreigner. When you have a partner, one of two things happens.

A) Multi-ball. For the reminder of the session you will practice multi-ball. This is quite straightforward, as you together with one or two players depending on the coaches wishes, will play the living daylights out of each other.
Normally you start with two-point forehand. This is my worst exercise as it is so tough on your cardio.
Then it is usually irregular topspin balls all over the table.
Then half long backspin in forehand.
Then you might play the Falkenberg drill.
Then backhand loop against backspin.
Now you are really tired and the clock is around 10:00 which means you might have a break, but this is not guaranteed. Time to get an ice cream for 2,5 RMB!
10:20, back to work.
Forehand flick.
One backspin to your backhand followed by one topspin to your backhand and one topspin to your wide forehand.

Things might cool down now and you can either play matches (rare) or practice serve and receive.
11:20, time for lunch!

B) Single ball practice.
This is really single ball, you will get one three star ball and you will keep it for the remainder of the session.
First, 15 minutes of forehand from your backhand to your partners backhand.
Then, perhaps 15 minutes of alternating forehand and backhand in your backhand.
Then you might do 15 minutes of the Falkenberg drill.
What about 15 minutes of irregular all over the table?
Keep on with these steady drills until the break.
Keep on after the break until lunch.

Before each session, when you have your partner you warm up by doing simple counter strokes in forehand and backhand for about 10 minutes. This is repeated after every break.

Depending on your skill level you get to do more advanced exercises. I'm not that good so I'm stuck with the basics.

At 14:30 the machine starts grinding again and warm-up begins. Exactly the same as above happens in the afternoon. The difference is that if you have played multi-ball then it's single ball time and the opposite.

That's it! Your highway to table tennis mastery. No complex drills, just keep on pounding the basics until you are fast and stable in your play. If you are lucky, the coaches might comment on your technique and try to help out. Most of the time they are lingering around and the master coach can be seen smoking in the corner.

Matches? Once a week you might have some matches. Otherwise, it's back to the basics.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Fantastic review! I have read this before, how the Chinese just practice the basics till its perfect. Not to much fancy stuff going on. You must be knackered! Are you back now? Or still out in China.

How much do you feel you have improved?
Do you think you have learned a lot?

Did you get a lot of coaching feedback from the coaches? Anything they told you that you have never heard before. Sorry for all the questions :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
lol, yeah, thats how TT should be - basics before matches
But in social enivironemnt, matches before anything else.

I kind of miss the old days when training full time, really not easy as there is no time, or rather no energy for other aspect of live.

I look at some juniors in South Africa, who train less than 10 hours a week, not to mention those 10 hours are not worth much considering the structure, effort etc put in, yet they wonder why they don't do well in Africa or have a chance to take on the rest of the world.

Its simple, how much you put in, is how much you can take out. If the Chinese are doing this, then surely if you don't do the same or close enough, there will be a gap.
The top African teams are putting in good hours/effort too, same as top Europeans, so thats TT for the "professionals".

For us amateurs, its good to take part in such camps, as it really broaden the mind a lot.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for your detailed post on how training looks in China. I would ask you to please share the physical fitness part. As I am very much interested to know how to maintain / increase agility and strength. Thank you and good luck.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Nice review. So it's really just matches about once per week? At Beijing Shichahai we had matches every day, probably 1/3 of the time if not 1/2. I think that was really good. Playing matches against different players is really good training. Multiball was another big thing there too, the training methods there are quite different than in Europe (at least what I experienced there).

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
exellent review.basics are the real key to dominance then...

Basics is the key, same as any other sport.

If you can't do a FH to FH for 100 hits each, then, you are still a beginner.
If you can't do 200 balls - 3 point forehand mulitball (or single ball), you are still a beginner

Just like if a golfer, who can't keep the same consitency for 100 hits in a driving range - he is still a beginner then.

China is not doing anything secretively, they just doing it in the masses, spending more time, and have more heart towards it.
You should check out Maggie Tian's interview, former Liaoning player (a lefty who comes from the strongest provience for female players, top lefties including Wang Nan, Guo Yue, and current stars Liu Shiwen, Li Xiaoxia etc) - who cries at night because of the hardship, yet she doesn't want to fall out or become a drop out and be sent back home. She wants to stay and continue fighting.

This is a clear story on East vs West in table tennis (and other things in life): http://goo.gl/Mx3VUv
You snooze, you loose, and other people will take over, etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The venue.

Zhengding is a famous table tennis center where the national team often do their "closed training" before a big championship.

005.jpg

This is the main building. In it you have the main hotel rooms and the main practice hall. Note the table tennis racket on top of the building.

IMG_1165_small.jpg

This is the main practice hall. In the front you have the defender Ma Te. Shang Kun is picking up the ball on the next table.

There is a second hall as shown in the first post. It is used when there are too many players in the main hall. This hall has worn tables and a gritty feeling. This is where we are playing now when the national team is here. It will be rebuilt in the next 12 months to be as good as the main hall. We'll see if that schedule holds.

There is a third hall currently used by the girls here. I have a picture of what I believe is the winner of the Paralympics doing serve practice.

IMG_1159_small.jpg

In the back, Bora Wang is feeding multi-ball. This hall is a combined museum and practice hall, quite strange but I like the bounce.

All halls have air conditioning. It helps a lot, but it is very hot anyway. Without it, I wouldn't be able to play.

You'll have three meals per day. Breakfast begins at around 07:15 and consists of vegetables, tomatoes, steamed buns, tofu, fried eggs, fried bread, toast and noodle soup.

Lunch begins at 11:30 and normally has beef stew, chicken skewers, chicken nuggets, fried bread, some vegetables and rice.

Dinner starts at 17:00 and is quite similar to lunch. I'm a vegetarian so I don't keep track of the meat dishes. There are more meat dishes then I listed above. I'm struggling sometimes to get enough protein, but they sometimes get me tofu.

There is a gym in the main building which is medium good. We don't have any scheduled gym or fitness classes so I tend to rest instead of lifting weights. There is also a tennis court in the center but it is normally too hot to play.

The normal hotel rooms are nice. This is a normal European 3-star hotel. They are equipped with two beds, shower, toilet, TV, washing machine on the balcony, AC, fridge and an internet connection. There are smaller and cheaper rooms that do not have all of the equipment.

To get here you'll fly to Beijing (PEK) and get to Beijing West train station. Take the bullet train to Zhengding Airport. From there, take a taxi (less than 100 RMB). It can be difficult to find a official taxi late at night so you might want to arrange that in advance. Black cabs are dodgy and I avoid them.

We have a packaged deal but I hear that it costs around 60 USD per day here for food, standard hotel room and practice. You'll have to negotiate the price with the center.

Almost no one of the staff or coaches speaks English. Sign language, mobile apps and drawings are your friends here. Zhengding is a very sleepy little town in China. There is not much to do here. There is a KFC and some local restaurants. There is two proper table tennis stores close to the center if you have to purchase anything. Shijiuazhuang is 30 minutes away by cab and a much larger city.

Their website can be found here together with more pictures, http://en.chinesetabletennistrainingcenter.com/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Preparation.

If you want to come and play here, there are some things to consider.

Physical fitness The more fit you are, the more you'll get out of the practice and lessen the risks of injury.
Be prepared. Be very prepared. Increase your VO2 max by all means, running, cycling, etc. Do strength training such as deadlifts, squats, etc. Build your core as the coaches will tell you to keep your posture.

Do multi-ball with 120 balls for two hours every day before coming here. That will get you up to speed quite quickly. Being able to do two sessions in one day might be difficult for most people so you have to accommodate to that on site.

Take rest days when your body says so. There is no reason to strain yourself or get an injury. Remember that you are in it for the long haul.

Practice to do consistent looping with 80% power. The better you are at this, the better practice partners you'll have. If you are really good, you can even play matches against the Chinese during whole sessions. If you are a weak player such as me, expect to play against unmotivated players. See if you can arrange a private coach that speaks English. The Danes I saw here had done that.

As you will get little feedback from the coaches, there is a lot of responsibility on yourself to improve. There is also a mental aspect of playing every day, doing the same drills, eating the same food, being tired. Expect boredom. Expect the table tennis of your life as a counterweight.

This place is not for quick fixes or quick wins. It is about a solid foundation with physical stamina and blazing speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for the sharing Mikael
I wonder how's thethundertt's fitness, as he was "very" prepared for Zhengding, which obviously my first reaction was - yeah right :)

I think your "preparations tip" is a very good guildline. I doubt if any players even trains close to that in South Africa at the moment, yet alone to make the cut.

I like what you say, as most people believe the coaches will give you quick fixes. The truth is that you need to earn the help of the coach and there is a lot of self motivation and discipline required.

I've been through long full time training myself, so I know. Not fun.
When I was doing it, I had 1 off day every 2 weeks. And that day was basically letting the body rest and going out and eat something different.
Really requires a lot if you want to improve in table tennis, and yes, this is a long term improvement plan
No pain, no gain

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't want to play the necromancer, but i just wanted to say:
Thanks for sharing this with us, Mikael Berglund.
Good One!
[Emoji106]

Sometimes there is a value to playing the necromancer and waking the dead. This is valuable stuff. Thanks for showing your skillz and the art of necromancy.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Glad to see you guys are making the most of your training experience there :D

The best thing about Zhengding (and China in general) is that it changes the way you approach training, even long after you leave there. I was there in July 2015, it was a very good training trip.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
There is one good table tennis club for training for all levels, this one is good for someone to improve your skill but not for professional training.