Chinese style Forehand topspin against backspin

This user has no status.
hello, I had the same problem first of all you have to tune your h3 neo, if after you send the balls still on the network, you should improve the shot. Try to go with the arm forward and above the head.

Notice the use of weight transfer. From the right leg to the left as he rotates his body. There is a sufficient upwards motion but also forward motion. I tried to copy that usage of twisting the legs (transfer of weight) but one problem I had was that the motion puts too much stress to my right knee. Any suggestions how to strengthen the legs for that motion. I noticed that even against a heavy chopper, I can easily lift the ball when I do that motion, also, it makes the motion so fluid. But I cannot maintain it for long because as Ive said it puts too much stress to my right knee. Any tips?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Chinese rubbers I use are either Euro like or I break them in/get rid of tack to make them more Euro like.

Actually, I make them into middle of the road control rubbers that are neither Chinese, nor Euro/Japanese. For my BH wing, I do not need a rocket rubber, my bat speed is plenty fast already for fast or extreme spin shots. At least half the shots I make BH are control shots like a block or a BH counter, so I gotta go with what is suitable there.

Most players are concerned about being flashy on that wing like the FH side, but we gotta get real with ourselves. If we can make the flashy shots with good effect on BH wing with a control rubber, then why try to break the sound barrier with Calibra LT? (Funny choice of words as I used to play LT on FH for a few months and when I flipped bat I could play BH well haha)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Harvey, my suggestion for strengthening the core and legs will sound very ineffective and tame as there is no sudden sprinting, heavy sweating, or difficult weight lifting involved.

I suggest you get a medium backpack, fill it with 10-15 kg of WATER bottles (filled) (you drink them as you march) and hit the trail where there are some hills. Simply walk at your own pace with some extra weight over some terrain where you have good footing. Also, consider for when you go to work, if it is in a tall building, bring this ruck with you and walk up to 20th floor if there is one and take elevator down.

This is very low impact, directly works all major muscles for your core, is dynamic, will get you cut, and also builds all those small muscles that are around your joints.

Military people reject such a workout and think it is useless, (zero heavy painful exertion) (military types think you have to do hulk Hogan workout to go anywhere) but the truth is that it is effective for both core development and cutting down fat as long as you can do at least 1-2 hrs of it a day. (walking with weight) (hills really help)

Reactions: harveyaquino
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If you absolutely feel like you MUST hit the weight room, free weight dumb bell or Kettle weights (one in each hand) and doing the classic core exercises like Squats, Dead Lift, Lunge, Situp holding weight under chin, Stair climber machine (but hold some moderate weight in both hands), and Rower can help your core and your big/small muscles.

You do not need a professional weight room to do most of this. You can make sandbags or use whatever you got around you for weight resistance. What is cool about sandbags are it is easy to make, costs next to nothing, and you can tailor the weight exactly. Be sure to use a few plastic bags and duct tape to wrap around it to keep the sand from coming out.

This user has no status.
Nice suggestion Der_Echte! I guess my body was surprised by the sudden change of terrain because I am here in a mountainous city where I study, coming from the province which is flat. The hills especially the stairs really help! Haha. But I think I need to hit the gym soon. My problem is I am a bit skinny, I'm not underweight though. I believe that by building up my physique and gaining extra weight, I can exert more force and sustain the quality of shots longer and also for the long haul.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Harvey looking skinny is good it gives you more room to move your hips and lower ex in generating explosive strokes. What you have to master is stabilitymeaning you have to square yourself everytime you attack the ball and the ability to recoil/recover fast plus the timing ofcourse

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
actually i figured out that donic baracuda performs much better overall when compared to dhs neo hurricane 3

I guess it performs much better because it suits you better than the hurricane rubber. Donic Baracuda and DHS hurricane 3 Neo are two very distinct rubbers because one is a tensor and one is a Chinese rubber, meaning grippy v tacky and medium sponge v hard sponge. They cater to a lot of people. I guess Baracuda works better for you. :)

Now as a previous user of Baracuda and now a user of T05, I can really confirm that Baracuda is a baby T05. Only that Baracuda is slightly softer and slower. Both have high throw, high levels of spin and good durability. I am glad I've tried Baracuda first before Tenergy 05 because I do not have any troubles with the throw and spin sensitivity. :)

This user has no status.
Harvey looking skinny is good it gives you more room to move your hips and lower ex in generating explosive strokes. What you have to master is stabilitymeaning you have to square yourself everytime you attack the ball and the ability to recoil/recover fast plus the timing ofcourse

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Yes I guess that is really my problem. I am not stable enough. I noticed that when playing with better players. They can counterloop my shots fast and that leaves me almost no time to react. I guess I am still slow in that department but I'm working hard in fixing it...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Let's why we use Stiga wood blades instead of Butterfly ALC blades. 100% of Chinese tt players started training with DHS Hurricane/TG Series. The most important part is how the blade would fit H3. The Chinese National team male players may try viscaria cause they have blue sponge H3, which is softer. And usually we can't get it. The H3 rubber is the reason for the magical Chinese spin instead of the blade. Xu Xin is still using 5-ply blade and all the Chinese National girl players use stiga 5-ply blades.

A little tip is that we can try the equipments of the Chinese National girl players. They use stiga wood blades with softer FH H3 sponges (usually 38 degrees).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
if you want a good top spin with high spin and high speed put your racket under the table open it to the number 3 which is like this | and flick it with your elbow really fast this is called the catapult affect if the backspin is not a spinny as i described simply close the racket to the number 2 which is like this \

This user has no status.
I do not really agree to that. i believe that the faster blade makes up for the lack of speed of the DHS rubbers. I used the provincial on an all wood and it was so slow and dead to the point I could not play properly. I then transferred that rubber to a Innerforce T5000 and the rubber felt beautiful (i guess its not ALC) but some of my mates use hurricane on ALC and it felt fine so i guess it just depends on the person (chinese players also use carbon blades e.g. ma long with the w997, zk with the viscaria and pretty sure xu xin recently changed to the intensity but that is debatable)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
looping against backspin is the easiest loop because you can just play with power. Just take the ball early and "loop" as fast and hard as you can, the tacky rubber does the rest for you. Topspin vs. topspin is harder though because you need to close your racket perfectly.

I think Stallion is correct, but for different reasons. One still has to do the work and get down & ready. Vs an undersppin ball, you generally have a LOT more time ot be in position and get down to explode with power. Technically, it is much easier for me to make a strong topspin shot vs an incoming underspin ball. (I tend to be in better position and coiled/ready more so than vs a fast incoming topspin) The bat angles required for a slow heavy loop or a fast loop are natural for me. The underspin becomes my topsin if I choose to make a fast loop.

vs an incoming topsin ball, generally there is way less time and yes, vs heavier topsin you have to close the bat more. When playing close to the table, if a player hits a fast topspin to you, then you almost have to see where it is going and be moving right away, or your options are more limited if you want to keep it on the table with higher percentage. The FH counter, however, requires less swing and can still be a decent pace, and requires simply good timing, (that is more difficult than vs an underspin ball) but who of us wants to play a parked at the endline FH counter-driving style of TT? We are not all Frauen. :)