Andro Rasant vs Butterfly Tenergy Series

This user has no status.
Hey guys, have you ever wondered if there could be a suitable alternative for Tenergy for a lower price yet possesses similar speed, control and spin? Rasant is the answer. But it isn't just the BEST alternative for Tenergy, it is better than Tenergy. I will explain further and I will do some tests with Rasant on my Infinity VPS blade later. Well, I've tried the setup and it works amazingly on my backhand and even my friends say that my backhand is more lethal than before. I could do some Fan Zhendong/Zhang Jike backhand flicks easily with no effort as well as some strong backhand drives and backhand topspins against backspins. If you're looking for a rubber cheaper and better than Tenergy, ANDRO RASANT is your FIRST choice!

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
Hey guys, have you ever wondered if there could be a suitable alternative for Tenergy for a lower price yet possesses similar speed, control and spin? Rasant is the answer. But it isn't just the BEST alternative for Tenergy, it is better than Tenergy. I will explain further and I will do some tests with Rasant on my Infinity VPS blade later. Well, I've tried the setup and it works amazingly on my backhand and even my friends say that my backhand is more lethal than before. I could do some Fan Zhendong/Zhang Jike backhand flicks easily with no effort as well as some strong backhand drives and backhand topspins against backspins. If you're looking for a rubber cheaper and better than Tenergy, ANDRO RASANT is your FIRST choice!

This sounds like an advertisiment for Andro, haha! We all now what is Rasant, just on of the good ESN products. But never close to the tenergy in terms of durability and quality. I have played for whole season with different ESN tensor rubbers, and I liked them all, but only first 2 weeks of play. This summer I finally got back to tenergy and I don't think I will ever move from it. The price is the real problem but, you get what you pay for!! It comes almost the same if you buy one pair of tenergy and it lasts let's say 2 months, or pair of Rasant that will last one month or little more. Depends on your level and how much do you play.

This user has no status.
This sounds like an advertisiment for Andro, haha! We all now what is Rasant, just on of the good ESN products. But never close to the tenergy in terms of durability and quality. I have played for whole season with different ESN tensor rubbers, and I liked them all, but only first 2 weeks of play. This summer I finally got back to tenergy and I don't think I will ever move from it. The price is the real problem but, you get what you pay for!! It comes almost the same if you buy one pair of tenergy and it lasts let's say 2 months, or pair of Rasant that will last one month or little more. Depends on your level and how much do you play.

Totally agree. I was very skeptical about Tenergy's price too, but in the end, you pay 10€ more than what you'd pay for, let's say, a Rasant.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Totally agree. I was very skeptical about Tenergy's price too, but in the end, you pay 10€ more than what you'd pay for, let's say, a Rasant.

In the US it's more like 20€ :(. If the were not a huge marketing company it would be affordable. I think there are tons of people that would like Tenergy 10€ lower and would buy it at that when they otherwise wouldn't that butterfly would make a long term profit from lowering the price a little.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
I've tryed both... maybe it is up to the type of play but I really hated Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64.
Not spin on the serve (I am a very good server), too dynamique in short game and small topspin, heavy rubber, and just no power for heavy strokes.
even with an old Mark V I got better spin and same speed....

I know I might be an exeption but ... I got much better rusults with Blue fire and Rasant.

I realy think it change from a player to an other...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is still not another rubberlike T05 yet, but the price is WAY too high for a rubber that plays at 80% after three weeks and goes downhill in a hurry. I moved on to Aurus and Evolution and do not regret it. Rasant on the right blade will play well too, but I cannot get Rasant so cheap like I can Aurus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
ok I got time, so no need to wait:

Review Rasant Grip 2.1mm black on Stiga infinity blade:

- During warm up: (I got it on forehand) the harness feels like 45° same as Blue Fire M2.
- Despite the fact the Stiga infinity is a really stiff blade the Rasant Grip feels like being between 42° to 45° hardness when topspining, probably due to the topsheet. I am able to put a lot of spin either in slow very spiny first topspin or 2m from table for a power shots.
- Counter topspin: I feel like it is very easy to do without a lot of effort, the rubber is very dynamic.
- First slow spinning topspin: to me it is the best rubber I’ve used for this. Many times the point is done after this first topspin.
- Blocking: anyway FH block is not my strong point. I prefer doing a small counter topspin than a bloc. I feel like it is quite hard to block the ball without taking spin from the opponent! Many points lost on this!
- Serves: no problem to perform all type of serves, with a lot of spin, or without.
- Short play: good behavior not much errors.

To compare with what I had previously (Donic Blue fire M2) it feels a little bit softer (than announced) when using topspin, generally faster, control is a better when attacking. I feel hard to block spiny topspin in forehand if I am not going for a counter.

I will not compare to Tenergy as I got problems to play with, like the angle is too high for me, and feel like I can not input lot of spin but trajectories are very curved, but not the case for other player hahaha!! Many be I should try a thinner version like 1.9mm?

Review Stiga Calibra tour M 2.1mm red on Stiga infinity blade:

- During warm up: (I got it on backhand) the harness feels like 40°- 42°. And gives a good security feeling.
- Topspin: feel easy to spin the ball either for the first topspin or far from table. Really great when to grab the ball on the top part of the blade, you get a very spinning and powerful topspin.
- Counter topspin: I feel like it is very easy to do, or punch through the ball aggressively (afourite shot!)
- First slow spinning topspin: great comfort!
- Blocking: really great! I love it!
- Serves: no problem to perform all type of serves, with a lot of spin, or without.

Really good security feeling and lots of power when playing harder.
To me it is not as fast as the official quote. May be a little bit less than Rasant grip (not much) but different feeling, more security. I could also use it in forehand, but I like the feeling of Rasant Grip when spinning the ball and driving power shot in forehand. When using it in Forehand, my poor blocks are much better.

A video would be better, but I am away from home at the moment.. may be in september if I got time, and Iif I dont forget :rolleyes:

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
ok I got time, so no need to wait:

Review Rasant Grip 2.1mm black on Stiga infinity blade:

- During warm up: (I got it on forehand) the harness feels like 45° same as Blue Fire M2.
- Despite the fact the Stiga infinity is a really stiff blade the Rasant Grip feels like being between 42° to 45° hardness when topspining, probably due to the topsheet. I am able to put a lot of spin either in slow very spiny first topspin or 2m from table for a power shots.
- Counter topspin: I feel like it is very easy to do without a lot of effort, the rubber is very dynamic.
- First slow spinning topspin: to me it is the best rubber I’ve used for this. Many times the point is done after this first topspin.
- Blocking: anyway FH block is not my strong point. I prefer doing a small counter topspin than a bloc. I feel like it is quite hard to block the ball without taking spin from the opponent! Many points lost on this!

To compare with what I had previously (Donic Blue fire M2) it feels a little bit softer (than announced) when using topspin, generally faster, control is a better when attacking. I feel hard to block spiny topspin in forehand if I am not going for a counter.

I will not compare to Tenergy as I got problems to play with, like the angle is too high for me, and feel like I can not input lot of spin but trajectories are very curved, but not the case for other player hahaha!! Many be I should try a thinner version like 1.9mm?

Review Stiga Calibra tour M 2.1mm red on Stiga infinity blade:

- During warm up: (I got it on backhand) the harness feels like 40°- 42°. And gives a good security feeling.
- Topspin: feel easy to spin the ball either for the first topspin or far from table. Really great when to grab the ball on the top part of the blade, you get a very spinning and powerful topspin.
- Counter topspin: I feel like it is very easy to do, or punch through the ball aggressively (afourite shot!)
- First slow spinning topspin: great comfort!
- Blocking: really great! I love it!

Really good security feeling and lots of power when playing harder.
To me it is not as fast as the official quote. May be a little bit less than Rasant grip (not much) but different feeling, more security. I could also use it in forehand, but I like the feeling of Rasant Grip when spinning the ball and driving power shot in forehand. When using it in Forehand, my poor blocks are much better.

A video would be better, but I am away from home at the moment.. may be in september if I got time, and Iif I dont forget :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot! How do you think it would be on backhand and what is your blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews

I don't mean this as an insult at all or even a challenge, so I'm sorry if it comes out like that. I'm just wondering, I have watched a video of yours (nice job!) and I'm wondering: have you ever ha a real Tenergy or only fake ones? Because if it is a fake Tenergy then why is there a good comparison? It's not fair to Tenergy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Rasant Grip on the backside will be too dynamic for me, specially in blocking and punch.
As far as I am concerned all the sponged rubber I've tryed was good for my forehand but not for my backhand. I am just talking about feeling.

Regarding Tenergy, I shoud try again on the Infinity as when I did my try it was on a fexible wood. but 60euros for a try ;) hahaha... I prefer to borrow my firends blade. I have to say that I am hearing many good feed back from tenergy series (exept price and weight) and feel a bit upset to have a so different view ;)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Abe, if I run into you, I'll cough up a new sheet of good ole XP 2008 in whatever color you like in 2.2 to tryout. If you see my play with that thing, you will not know it is a $8 USD rubber on BH wing. It does it all with control and nothing spectacular, that is what we want out of our BH wing - control. We dream of the pro level stuff on our BH for the future. However, our FH is a LOT more dynamic on the move and we desire correctly a really good suitable modern rubber. Rasant on the right blade isn't a bad choice at all.

I ought to be in NYC on Labor day weekend. I will likely meet forum friends from this forum (the great and only UPSIDE Dn Carl hisself) and others (like PP Holic from MyTT, maybe Shayne or anyone else NYC based) Last year, the Korean American tourney was at some Korean church in Flushing. I should be in NYC Friday or Saturday and will surely hit it up at a NYC club, Carl can scout it out for me. Maybe I'll post a thread in the forums like I do when I go to Boston (MyTT). Maybe I'll cough up an extra 896 with XP on BH for you to hit with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Abe, if I run into you, I'll cough up a new sheet of good ole XP 2008 in whatever color you like in 2.2 to tryout. If you see my play with that thing, you will not know it is a $8 USD rubber on BH wing. It does it all with control and nothing spectacular, that is what we want out of our BH wing - control. We dream of the pro level stuff on our BH for the future. However, our FH is a LOT more dynamic on the move and we desire correctly a really good suitable modern rubber. Rasant on the right blade isn't a bad choice at all.

I ought to be in NYC on Labor day weekend. I will likely meet forum friends from this forum (the great and only UPSIDE Dn Carl hisself) and others (like PP Holic from MyTT, maybe Shayne or anyone else NYC based) Last year, the Korean American tourney was at some Korean church in Flushing. I should be in NYC Friday or Saturday and will surely hit it up at a NYC club, Carl can scout it out for me. Maybe I'll post a thread in the forums like I do when I go to Boston (MyTT). Maybe I'll cough up an extra 896 with XP on BH for you to hit with.

Haha you're right maybe I am overthinking and overpaying I think you mean that I don't need 50 dollar equiptment and it doesn't make the player. I will order something cheaper. Thanks a lot for advice. As usual, you have helped a lot :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I COULD be saying that too, but what I always say is to try stuff out yourself for free when you can and see what works for YOU. Reviews help and if they are structured with relevant information (like Dan's reviews) can provide some insight, but NOTHING is a substitute for trying it yourself. We all do not have enough money or time to buy everything under the sun, but should be looking for chances to what is out there when someone has some equipment handy you never used.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
To go back to your first line...

896 Blade: $15-$16 USD (at colestt.com and nexy.com and eacheng.net)

FH: Aurus new $34.50 USD (at Nexy.com)

BH: XP 2008 $8 USD (at colestt.com)

Cost Total new bat complete... just under $60, which is just under the price of one sheet of premium modern rubber.

This user has no status.
Last month I wrote an email to Butterfly complaining about prices lol but I still haven't received an answer and I highly doubt I will. Anyways, Tenergy isn't the best rubber. There is no such thing as a best rubber, it all depends on your game. You can find yourself more confortable with Tenergy just as you can find yourself more comfortable with an XP 2008. It is just a sure bet, when you buy it, in 90% of the cases you know you'll find yourself well. I'll stick with it for this year but when next summer comes I'll have to try some other rubbers out (budget permitting), such as Rakza or Baracuda. In most of the cases there will be another combo you find more comfortable with and it doesn't depend on the price, if you play better with a 20$ Aurus there's no reason to buy a 70$ Tenergy.