The Boosting Debate

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
One of the biggest debates in table tennis is on boosters. Recently, it came into the spotlight again when Jun Mizutani took action against them. What is your opinion on boosters? Should they be made legal? Should the ITTF crackdown on boosters?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 3 reviews
I guess the booster is actually legal, not by rule book but all the pros use it and ittf knows it and they do nothing. This means you can use it and not worry. Just be sure not to be caught red handed [emoji28]
Also if the ittf bans booster(which it is by the rule book but not actually), manufacturers will come out with tensor part 2 or tenergy 80b for booster effect for probably 100$. Oh, i forgot about the rubbers made for the poly balls. So now they can price the rubber even higher and still sell tons of them. And that would be ridiculous(isn't it ridiculous now?? 67 for a sheet of tenergy rubber. It is just a sheet of rubber)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
The machine measures voc's which evaporate at a certain rate. If that rate goes above the legal limit of say 0.8 or something of that nature in 20 seconds then your rubber is deemed illegal. The issue is that boosting is virtually untestable for consistent results. Sure you can look at a rubber and see that the rubbers are curling at the edge of the blade or you could smell the oil used paraffin vs haifu/dianchi and you could tell by that, but it's all subjective as far as tests go. Not to mention that many rubbers are "factory tuned" now a days so that really messes with any testing for paraffin or other oils. This is the issue with trying to figure out whether or not a player is boosting.

Personally it doesn't bother me because it's easy for someone to say that the booster is the reason people are winning, but let's be honest here, training is the key to winning. China has the best training method and thus gets the best results. I've met plenty of Chinese players who switch to tenergy on the forehand and are just as good as when they played with the boosted H3. The H3 made them better players, but since they aren't training regularly anymore they don't want to have to exert themselves as much so Tenergy is an easy substitute because of how much less effort they have to put into the ball.

Personally I'd go as far as saying that booster or no booster doesn't have any affect when you're talking about that large of a difference in skill level. The easiest way to beat someone who is boosting is just to be better than them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Jun Mizutani never protested really, he just made some complaints to the ITTF (directly to Sharara I think but Im not 100 % sure about who he contacted) and some TT sites wrote that he didnt participated in some pro tours to protest against boosting but what really happend is that Jun was simply resting.

My humble opinion is that boosting does not give you an advantage, there are more important variants in the game that decide the overall outcome

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Jun Mizutani never protested really, he just made some complaints to the ITTF (directly to Sharara I think but Im not 100 % sure about who he contacted) and some TT sites wrote that he didnt participated in some pro tours to protest against boosting but what really happend is that Jun was simply resting.

My humble opinion is that boosting does not give you an advantage, there are more important variants in the game that decide the overall outcome

Perhaps, but still, if you have a Chinese rubber, it's meant to be boosted. That gives it its speed. It is not an unfair advantage, but it's a disadvantage not to boost for the Chinese, and all Chinese rubber users, because you don't get the feeling and speed you are supposed to and are meant to feel

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
No debate from me. Anyone who wants to tune a rubber or tuna fish can knock themselves right out and do it without any argument from me.

The only organization griping about it are the ones who are in a position to have the TT industry make much money from it

Reactions: tt-cro and agold