Der_Echte in NYC

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just in case you guys thought I was doing the Archosaurus and talking smack I couldn't back up: proof of my Tuesday evening mission.

Now let's talk about honey traps and the goon squad.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Tell Nicole she can hit balls with me anytime :cool:.

What's sad is, if the video was even half decent quality it would be very clear just how smoking hot she is. I think you can still get the idea. But dayum....totally on fire. :) And totally fun too.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OK Der_Echte's Fan Club, for your TT Entertainment and LOLZ at me

Here is an edited video of my match withn Der from this past Sat's Goon Squad NYC Mission :

Highlights video includes parts of his Jedi-mind-tricking me ... most of the match, i was 500 level on serve receive and edited those out, Der didn't return some of my serves, mostly edited out also. Included the decent shots by both of us, but mostly the video is to highlight Der's trashtalking/jedi mind tricking game!

Enjoy at my expense! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffM
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OSPH FTW posting vid action. At that stage, I was just there to talk a little noise and entertain the crowd of three watching. Table Tennis is an entertainment business after all.

OSPH will certainly get better on serve receive with time.

To be fair to him, a lot of the U2000 crowd struggle vs my serves the first time or two, some struggle forever.

That day was messing around and clowning around.

Day 2 was more serious with some real training, even if that was light hearted fun, it was still effective training that amazed me at how much progress OSPH is making in a real short time frame. I am a real slow improver, at the rate I improve, I do not understand how I cracked 1500 level. I try harder longer, not not as effective as others, like OSPH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
OK Der_Echte's Fan Club, for your TT Entertainment and LOLZ at me

Here is an edited video of my match withn Der from this past Sat's Goon Squad NYC Mission :

Highlights video includes parts of his Jedi-mind-tricking me ... most of the match, i was 500 level on serve receive and edited those out, Der didn't return some of my serves, mostly edited out also. Included the decent shots by both of us, but mostly the video is to highlight Der's trashtalking/jedi mind tricking game!

Enjoy at my expense! :)

Every time I play HTSB, I go back to square one on serve return. His motion is fast enough that if you don't attention and photograph the contact, you will just not remember what happened and the ball trajectories are all weird enough that they confuse you even though the kick is there and then the spin doesn't let you off the hook with a passive block and Der Echte/High Toss Serving B*****d doesn't encourage you with any misses.

But the key thing is that if you do pay attention, which it can take me forever to do after playing servers who usually let me fall asleep (it is best to play someone like Carl before playing someone like DE/HTSB), the contact angles are different. The problem again is that when you have been facing too many servers who let you fall asleep, your brain isn't trained to keep up. Next time, I will play the TTEdge App before playing DerEchte and see what happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
All credit goes to you the Sa Bum Nim!!! The Instructor had a clear and concise Lesson ... was very easy for this slow learner to pick up and execute.

Also I had a concrete understanding of the Lesson because I've played players who use the same tactic... posted a video highlight of my preliminary review of the Amazon vs "Si-hing" in a match. You can clearly see on some of the points he goes for the slow topspin loop which I'm banking on and my eyes are wide open with saliva drooling from my mouth like it's the Big Bad Wolf's feeding time ... I sit on that slow topspin loop and smash it from here in NYC to China's Ming Dynasty!

I don't use the same tactic because I know what I do to it and am fearful I come across someone with the same idea.

Gomabseubnida Sa Bum Nim!!!

Now some of NextLevel's Lessons will take me some time to "get" as I need to work on the motions as I don't have it in my muscle memory yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
All credit goes to you the Sa Bum Nim!!! The Instructor had a clear and concise Lesson ... was very easy for this slow learner to pick up and execute.

Also I had a concrete understanding of the Lesson because I've played players who use the same tactic... posted a video highlight of my preliminary review of the Amazon vs "Si-hing" in a match. You can clearly see on some of the points he goes for the slow topspin loop which I'm banking on and my eyes are wide open with saliva drooling from my mouth like it's the Big Bad Wolf's feeding time ... I sit on that slow topspin loop and smash it from here in NYC to China's Ming Dynasty!

I don't use the same tactic because I know what I do to it and am fearful I come across someone with the same idea.

Gomabseubnida Sa Bum Nim!!!

Now some of NextLevel's Lessons will take me some time to "get" as I need to work on the motions as I don't have it in my muscle memory yet.

Yes, it definitely takes time. As Der Echte said, some people will actually tell you not to do what I told you because it loses control. They will say start with a little and add it over time. For me, it is a matter of how much you train. If you practice a lot, do it all the time in practice until your brain learns to control it. Because if you can't use whip to add spin to the ball, you will be unable to attack the heavier spins of your opponents with high consistency.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yes, it definitely takes time. As Der Echte said, some people will actually tell you not to do what I told you because it loses control. They will say start with a little and add it over time. For me, it is a matter of how much you train. If you practice a lot, do it all the time in practice until your brain learns to control it. Because if you can't use whip to add spin to the ball, you will be unable to attack the heavier spins of your opponents with high consistency.

My challenge is my club generally is not conducive to training only. It gets packed at times which results in match play. Sometimes like last night, for whatever reason, it was relatively empty (either weather got cooler or long holiday weekend coming up and people went away). Practiced serves with a partner.

I'm sometimes like a bull in a chinashop and cannot do it slowly, must do it fast. Sometimes looping against a chopper, I tried to slow loop to no avail. I needed just to let it rip a few minutes before I could adjust my loops and slow it down. I'm weird LOL

Thank you again!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My challenge is my club generally is not conducive to training only. It gets packed at times which results in match play. Sometimes like last night, for whatever reason, it was relatively empty (either weather got cooler or long holiday weekend coming up and people went away). Practiced serves with a partner.

I'm sometimes like a bull in a chinashop and cannot do it slowly, must do it fast. Sometimes looping against a chopper, I tried to slow loop to no avail. I needed just to let it rip a few minutes before I could adjust my loops and slow it down. I'm weird LOL

Thank you again!

Slow loops require whip motions that are not really slow - they all require good acceleration - it's more about the quality of contact with the ball. So you need to be used to getting your racket moving and timing the ball, which requires you to be warmed up and ready to loop as if you are looping fast, but contact the ball a bit differently. If you try to slow loop but you don't have good whip, you will just be patting the ball. The way I try to get used to it, other than my training, is to understand what the pattern around the ball should be like with start and finishing position so that I don't do something else. If I repeat that pattern often enough at a ball, then eventually, it will click.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Nexy Amazon CPen + MX-P - Day 4 Thoughts

Having not been playing in 30 yrs, I've not kept up with the technology/equipment. Was never a EJ to begin with.

Der, Carl, PingPongHolic and 3 clubmates advised that I should put on a backsheet because the Amazon is too light. I'm an oldschool penholder and used to the weight of a single sheet.

One clubmate also mentioned that I may damage the blade with repeated play from the smashes/blocks. He said something to the effect that the vibration will loosen the carbon and we can't see what's happening inside the blade. The extra rubber will preserve the blade as well as minimize the vibration.

With that in mind, i added a used DHS H3, the one i've been using on my Avalox P700. Last night was the 2nd night of playing with this setup. Previous night, I couldn't hit a basic FH nor smash and loop due to the unaccustomed added weight. BH blocking was fine and punching was good but not perfect.

Last night, played a set with a gentleman i lose to so far - i'm around his level, but his illegal serves are very spinny which i eat most of the time. While warming up, i was spastic with my FH, still not quite used to the weight. I closed the blade a tad more than usual and the ball landed consistently enough. Perhaps the switchover from H3 to MX-P affected my FH a little... perhaps the added weight affected my stroke. Unclear for now. The MX-P i thought would be way more bouncier than the H3, but the first night I used the Amazon with the MX-P with no backsheet, i was surprised at how very little adjustment i had to make, it played just like my Avalox/H3 setup.

So instead of forcing my FH, i resorted to BH blocking to warm up.I was using the Amazon with 2 sheets of rubber, but using one-sided only. My grip is more of a loose curled fingers grip on the back. The added weight eventually made my grip/hand weaken.

During the match, i lost 3 straight, mostly at -6. Got some smashes and some loops in, but mostly i missed. Still getting used to the weight.

QUESTIONS

1) Does playing without a 2nd rubber affect the wood/carbon adversely?
2) Playing without a 2nd rubber produces a lot of vibration, which I will get used to in time. Without the 2nd rubber, I felt like I've been playing with the Amazon/MX-P forever, meaning, i play well with it.
3) I probably won't be embracing the RPB any time soon (sorry JeffM!), still trying to get my oldschool game consistent. If I absolutely need to put on a 2nd rubber mostly for weight and/or preserving the blade, any reco's for a lesser weighted rubber than the H3 with an eye at eventually trying the RPB, but just not anytime soon?

Thank you in advance.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could also just get a black color adhesive sheet for the BH side if you are comfy with the overall weight and balance. Amazon has a solid throat and handle already. So, if you like it with one rubber, slap on an ox lp rubber or a color sheet. What you feel is important and since the whole blade is solid, it won't hurt to use a color sheet if you are happy with the feel and ability to accelerate.

There will be a different feel at impact with a second rubber. If you like the feel with one sheet and can feel and control the ball, slap on an ox or color sheet.

If you really want to save a dollar, put on address labels you made black with a sharpie.

However, the amount of VOCS you will breath in doing that will make you feel like you are floating to the moon. :)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OSPH,

It is nice you called me the nice names and good stuff, but really I am just another TT Adventurer just like you those around you.

I wasn't trying to Jodi mind trick you in that practice match, I just wanted to show you what you can do if you are confident in winning most or all points on your serve.

I just said it in a comical way, but it is true, if you can win all your points on serve, you need to do very little vs opponent serve.

On the other side, if you can win half the points on your opponent serve, your chances of winning games and matches are pretty good.

That should motivate us all the better our serve receive and serve attack games.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NL is right and knows where comes from. You can do it his way and you will get there.

You have more chances to practice serves or at least the whip motion, timing, and bat angles off the table to side of court while waiting. You toss up ball underspin it out and let ball come back.

You can do that drill at home too.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Every time I play HTSB, I go back to square one on serve return. His motion is fast enough that if you don't attention and photograph the contact, you will just not remember what happened and the ball trajectories are all weird enough that they confuse you even though the kick is there and then the spin doesn't let you off the hook with a passive block and Der Echte/High Toss Serving B*****d doesn't encourage you with any misses.

But the key thing is that if you do pay attention, which it can take me forever to do after playing servers who usually let me fall asleep (it is best to play someone like Carl before playing someone like DE/HTSB), the contact angles are different. The problem again is that when you have been facing too many servers who let you fall asleep, your brain isn't trained to keep up. Next time, I will play the TTEdge App before playing DerEchte and see what happens.
Normally, no man likes to be called bastard, but NL clearly shows this as a frustration and respect of the serve.

HTSB... triple haha guess I got one more name. :)

I don't dominate NL with my serve, heck you don't get to dominate him period, but my serving gives me an edge and an attitude that puts him under pressure.

He knows if he misreads it, I'm gunna pound it or spin it out of control. He knows that even if he reads it right and gives it to me long I'm gunna do the same.

His serve game places similar pressures upon me, so I sometimes gotta go aggressive and unpredictable receiving his serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH,

It is nice you called me the nice names and good stuff, but really I am just another TT Adventurer just like you those around you.

Well, you more so than I ever will be! Tied down with wife and kids ... hard for me to travel around and be a TT Ambassador/Adventurer like you.

I wasn't trying to Jodi mind trick you in that practice match,

YES, YOU WERE! ;-)

I just wanted to show you what you can do if you are confident in winning most or all points on your serve.

When I was younger, I was a slave to my Ego. I always wanted to win. Back in da day, Ivan Lendl had a killer serve in Tennis. Then Pete Sampras followed. I had a lightbulb moment for my TT game, if i get aces on my serves I win freebies and easier to win games that way.

[Begin NextLevel voice]

But then other aspects of my game never evolved especially my Loop, as I focused so much on unreturnable serves as well as sidetop serves/3rd ball smashing.

[/voice]

On the other side, if you can win half the points on your opponent serve, your chances of winning games and matches are pretty good.

That should motivate us all the better our serve receive and serve attack games.

Yeah, my serve receive is 500 level ... my clubmates serving illegal serves, partly i jedi mind trick myself, but partly cos i eat their spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You have more chances to practice serves or at least the whip motion, timing, and bat angles off the table to side of court while waiting. You toss up ball underspin it out and let ball come back.

I will do this from time to time. Partly cos my club is packed, if i'm not physically next to the table i called next on, i will lose my spot lol

You can do that drill at home too.

Partly Law of Specifity, i want to mimic the actual playing conditions as closely as possible. So i'll do it at my club. But partly at home, i have other responsibilities and hard for me to do TT stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You could also just get a black color adhesive sheet for the BH side if you are comfy with the overall weight and balance. Amazon has a solid throat and handle already. So, if you like it with one rubber, slap on an ox lp rubber or a color sheet. What you feel is important and since the whole blade is solid, it won't hurt to use a color sheet if you are happy with the feel and ability to accelerate.

There will be a different feel at impact with a second rubber. If you like the feel with one sheet and can feel and control the ball, slap on an ox or color sheet.

Just to be crystal clear, i won't damage the blade with all that vibrations if i don't have a 2nd sheet of rubber with sponge?

I can't imagine the long pips with no sponge will help the vibrations. But i don't my an imprint of my middle finger in the back of Amazon. Although, the long pips may help in the short run on serve receive ... if i return the ball with it, better than not having it and lose the point cos i ate the serve. Or i can begin NL's voice and talk about perfecting my serve return technique :)

If the lack of 2nd sheet/sponge won't affect the blade's integrity, i will go with a black color sheet. Afraid the weight will hurt my hand/wrist with long term play. Already possible i may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from working with computer keyboards for a little over half my life.

If you reply blade won't damaged without 2nd rubber, i will go with colored sheet.

Thank you for so many different things!