Der_Echte in NYC

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I plan on being in NYC for a Korean American TT Tourney Labor Day weekend near Flushing. Tourney is Monday, but I will likely be in NYC Saturday early afternoon for some TT action and adventure. I am with the Boston team. I plan on going to the Korean club in Flushing to practice and have fun. I plan on trying to run into forum members from this forum and also MyTT and OOAK.

Anyone want to meetup and hit, give a shout to this thread.

Agold, if you can manage to get to Flushing Korean TTC (http://www.nytabletennis.com/xe/) I'll cough up a sheet of XP 2008 Super Power for Ur BH to test. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I plan on being in NYC for a Korean American TT Tourney Labor Day weekend near Flushing. Tourney is Monday, but I will likely be in NYC Saturday early afternoon for some TT action and adventure. I am with the Boston team. I plan on going to the Korean club in Flushing to practice and have fun. I plan on trying to run into forum members from this forum and also MyTT and OOAK.

Anyone want to meetup and hit, give a shout to this thread.

Agold, if you can manage to get to Flushing Korean TTC (http://www.nytabletennis.com/xe/) I'll cough up a sheet of XP 2008 Super Power for Ur BH to test. :)

Is it Robert Chen's club (I need to check the website but can't now). Yeah I'll try. Thanks. You don't mean give me a new sheet, do you? I don't feel right meeting someone and they just give me a rubber. I would love to try your setup though. Thanks. Hope I can come!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey Agold, Choi Gum Il and his wife are the head coaches and a good player (Lim Yong Ji) is supposed to be there too. I think there are at least 5-6 top level amature players around NYC called Go-Soo in Korean [高手] (Chinese Characters in [...] I think they go to this club.

As for the rubber, I don't think I would meet a forum memebr so often and the rubber new is like $7 anywayz and I buy 10 of them at a time. I literally get 10 of them for the price of one sheet of Tenergy, it lasts 5 times longer and I play the saem on BH wing with it. I am always building bats for Soldiers or in Korea my club mates. I got so much TT equipment on hand it is coming out of my ears and I carry 4-5 sheets of the stuff with me everywhere, so 1 sheet (new) of XP 2008 isn't gunna break me. :) Besides, my supplier for this rubber (colestt.com) always sends me free stuff every time I order as a way to thank me for being a Soldier so long. (Almost 3 decades)

Since XP 2008 SP is such a famous rubber because of all my recommendations, the forum might want to hear a review of it by someone other than me anyway. You can have a hit with 896 Aurus/XP 2008 and take away a sheet of XP 2008.

Looking at the map, the Korean club in Flushing is 10 miles east and a touch south of your Wang Chen TTC. If your brother of dad or whoever can get you out there, great. There is a small chance I am around Manhatten visiting with another TT forum member(s) besides us on TTD, so who knows if I might end up around your club. Last time I met that forum memebr, we went to Chelsea sports club and they rolled out a table for us, but the sunlight was awful bright in the way of everything. I am likely to visit a real TT club if I run into that guy again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hey Agold, Choi Gum Il and his wife are the head coaches and a good player (Lim Yong Ji) is supposed to be there too. I think there are at least 5-6 top level amature players around NYC called Go-Soo in Korean [高手] (Chinese Characters in [...] I think they go to this club.

As for the rubber, I don't think I would meet a forum memebr so often and the rubber new is like $7 anywayz and I buy 10 of them at a time. I literally get 10 of them for the price of one sheet of Tenergy, it lasts 5 times longer and I play the saem on BH wing with it. I am always building bats for Soldiers or in Korea my club mates. I got so much TT equipment on hand it is coming out of my ears and I carry 4-5 sheets of the stuff with me everywhere, so 1 sheet (new) of XP 2008 isn't gunna break me. :) Besides, my supplier for this rubber (colestt.com) always sends me free stuff every time I order as a way to thank me for being a Soldier so long. (Almost 3 decades)

Since XP 2008 SP is such a famous rubber because of all my recommendations, the forum might want to hear a review of it by someone other than me anyway. You can have a hit with 896 Aurus/XP 2008 and take away a sheet of XP 2008.

Looking at the map, the Korean club in Flushing is 10 miles east and a touch south of your Wang Chen TTC. If your brother of dad or whoever can get you out there, great. There is a small chance I am around Manhatten visiting with another TT forum member(s) besides us on TTD, so who knows if I might end up around your club. Last time I met that forum memebr, we went to Chelsea sports club and they rolled out a table for us, but the sunlight was awful bright in the way of everything. I am likely to visit a real TT club if I run into that guy again.

Ok thanks. I think I can make it. I go to the New York international table tennis federation in flushing a lot. You might also want to visit Carl at spin :).

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ok thanks. I think I can make it. I go to the New York international table tennis federation in flushing a lot. You might also want to visit Carl at spin :).

Carl has told me he MIGHT be able to take me to SPiN, but don't anyone get their hopes up for me taking pics with TT player and model Lee Soo Yeon, that simply isn't gunna happen. One MyTT forum member might happen to show up there to the Korean club in Flushing too.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am also contemplating rolling into the city Friday night for extra TT action, prolly gunna find some Hostel within an hour subway ride of wherever I gotta go. I could drive to where I gotta go, but if parking costs an arm and a leg there, I will ride the subway like I did in Seoul. Besides, that is a responsible way to act if you have an after mission (like Koreans love to do).

BTW, although I am English speaking American, where does one buy one of the cards you can use and re-charge for the subway. Koreans sold them in convenience stores... do they do that in NYC or do I gotta get one only from such and such place?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I am also contemplating rolling into the city Friday night for extra TT action, prolly gunna find some Hostel within an hour subway ride of wherever I gotta go. I could drive to where I gotta go, but if parking costs an arm and a leg there, I will ride the subway like I did in Seoul. Besides, that is a responsible way to act if you have an after mission (like Koreans love to do).

BTW, although I am English speaking American, where does one buy one of the cards you can use and re-charge for the subway. Koreans sold them in convenience stores... do they do that in NYC or do I gotta get one only from such and such place?

No, you have to go into a subway station. In the station, there will be either a machine for it, or an actual person that works for the mta there to help you. The machine is pretty self explanatory (there are instructions on it) and you can also ask someone for help if they are in the booth. BTW, it's 1$ to buy the metrocard, and you have to fill it with the amount of money for the number of rides you are taking (its $2.50 per ride). You get a bonus (i think 50 cents) for every 10$ you put in. Good luck :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Someone scanned their subway card for me once when I left to get to a place in the city to meet someone with a ride and the subway system looks so out dated and weird. Trains not so often either. In Seoul, there were trains every 5 minutes for the same line downtown in the busiest places and they were a lot faster AND cost less than $1 USD haha I miss that easy travel. Right before I left Korea, my unit moved way down south like 80 miles and Line 1 reached that city and IF I stayed on that line changing cars once, it would take 3.5 hours, but would cost maybe $4 USD.

I really miss those easy inexpensive subway rides.

Thanx agold.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews

Maybe come to wang Chen's on Friday? @upsidedowncarl might come too?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I was thinking about rolling into NYC a little early, like Friday, but it looks like I will be in town Saturday. I got swing by my daughter's place in Boston first and I will prolly be tied up there another day. I might also either give a ride to one of my team or get a ride from him, so it is looking more like Saturday. I am planning on being at the Korean TT club Saturday, but I haven't locked in anything for Sunday.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Although we haven't finalized anything, it is likely Carl and I will link up Saturday and prolly will be around the Korean TT club in Flushing, but it's not like we got a signed contract on stuff. :)

Wait you won't be there Monday? (The Korea club) I thought there was a tourney there.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The tourney Monday will be at some Korean church in Flushing, Pagota I think. I go to Korean clubs because I speak excellent Korean as a foreigner and next to no one ever sees that, so I instantly get along with the Korean crowd. I am not restricting my visits to just the Korean club though, but still if you want to run into me, pop on out to the Korean club late afternoon or early evening. There is still late evening Sat and all Sunday to go other places. I dunno, maybe after the Korean club Carl will take me to SPiN. Don't worry, I wont be taking selfies with Wally Green or tearing up the town. Wait a minute, both of those sound like great ideas, but I don't have the funds available to cover the restorations for the collateral damage. :( Maybe I'll just stick to having fun and taking a lot of pics.

It is not so often that forum members who live far away can be in the same city and enjoy TT adventures, so taking a lot of pics has to be a must. Since I have already bragged that Carl will film my serve and expose me for a fraud, certainly that has to be done. I also stated that I will have an extree 896 with Aurus/XP 2008 on it, so I bring that one too to lend out as well as a fresh sheet of XP 2008 to try on your own blade. agold, you can make a thread about testing the 896 and if anyone wants to cough up the expensive postage for oversees ($15 USD at the least) then have at it. I got 3-4 of those specials already made in the TT bag along with another Walmart special (that loops well with ole Inspirit). either way, if you Carl, my Korean team mate, and any other TT forum member meetup, there will be a hitup to remember with pics. Maybe Carl will be cruel and take vids of my serve and BH topspin and post them to show the world how ate up my game is haha. Once you get in front of the camera for the forum and the entire TT world there is no hiding anything. :)

Obviously, I am getting more and more pumped up as the weekend approaches. Still, I got a LONG drive to Boston (6 hrs) and another drive just to get to NYC, so I had better focus on accomplishing the mission of arriving alive first, then think about the fun later.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
agold, I don't think Carl and I have to stay at the Korean club for 8 hours, so maybe we save you a long subway ride and hitup Wang Chen TTC later that evening, I think Carl lives closer to your club than the Korean one, plus, I gotta get a subway card and ride the subway anyways, so it might work out that way, or you can fight the thugs on the subway and put some in the hospital for a warmup and meet us in Flushing. whatever, we'll figure it out in good time.

OH, I just remembered. Isn't Matt H. (PingPongPom) in the NYC/NJ metro area still?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
agold, I don't think Carl and I have to stay at the Korean club for 8 hours, so maybe we save you a long subway ride and hitup Wang Chen TTC later that evening, I think Carl lives closer to your club than the Korean one, plus, I gotta get a subway card and ride the subway anyways, so it might work out that way, or you can fight the thugs on the subway and put some in the hospital for a warmup and meet us in Flushing. whatever, we'll figure it out in good time.

OH, I just remembered. Isn't Matt H. (PingPongPom) in the NYC/NJ metro area still?

Just let me know when you all are gonna be where and I'll try to meet up with you. Where can I find details about the tourney?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Matt H went back to NZ about two weeks ago.

We will hang out Saturday and take the tour of NYC clubs. I will figure out how to get to that Korean club. I finish work around 2pm Saturday and then can go anywhere. I am good for Sunday starting by about noon as well.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Cool Carl, we'll make it happen, be sure to have your phone charged for pics/vids hehe. A couple of MyTT forum members look to join the fun as well, either at the Korean club or on one of our after missions.

agold, the tourney was at Promise Korean church last year and is supposed to be at teh same place this year. They will prolly start very early Monday. This is the writeup BTY did last year. Nothing has popped up online for this tourney yet that I can find.

http://www.butterflyonline.com/static.asp?htmltemplate=2013/KoreanAmericanTournament.html

It looks like the venue will be here, but i wont know until Saturday when I get boots on ground.

130-30 31st Ave.
Flushing, NY 11354

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Der_Echte, I am going to try and get a friend who is a mytt guy, who is about 2200 to join us as well. He will join somewhere in progress.

@ AGold, I am not sure Robert Chen still has a club out in Queens. But he has a small club in Chinatown (downtown Manhattan) at 120 Baxter Street. It is pretty close to the old NYTTF. I've been going there too lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: agold