Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
This is an article about my table tennis coach: Paul David. He had a great run at the recent Goodwill Games scoring two amazing comebacks and achieving his highest international ranking ever. Paul is an awesome guy, and an amazing coach who has helped my game improve sooooo much.

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=36360&Competition_ID&Category

Wow funny I was just at a training camp at the Westchester table tennis center and he was one of the coaches. Yep, his multiball is perfect for you and he knows how to fix your form. Do you know Niv or Viren? Also his students that are my friends from SPiN.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wow funny I was just at a training camp at the Westchester table tennis center and he was one of the coaches. Yep, his multiball is perfect for you and he knows how to fix your form. Do you know Niv or Viren? Also his students that are my friends from SPiN.

Are Niv and Viren kids? Your age? I see a few of the younger players Paul coaches on weekdays. So I probably know them by site.

One day I will come up to Wang Chen's. What times do you usually go on weekends?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Are Niv and Viren kids? Your age? I see a few of the younger players Paul coaches on weekdays. So I probably know them by site.

One day I will come up to Wang Chen's. What times do you usually go on weekends?

Well, it's usually empty until about 4 on weekends. I won't be there next weekend though. It's a nice club though. Not as big as spin, but it's big enough.

I come for a lesson (Kevin Wang is my coach) at 3 or so and then I'm there at least until 6 on Saturdays.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, it's usually empty until about 4 on weekends. I won't be there next weekend though. It's a nice club though. Not as big as spin, but it's big enough.

I come for a lesson (Kevin Wang is my coach) at 3 or so and then I'm there at least until 6 on Saturdays.

Cool. Can is a good coach (Kevin). :) One day I will see you there on a Saturday. I have actually probably been there before while you were taking a lesson.

Reactions: agold
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Sounds like Carl might want me to check out Agold's club together instead of making agold go Korean!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Sounds like Carl might want me to check out Agold's club together instead of making agold go Korean!

Well I love going to new clubs :) I would also like to do a tourney so I would go. But yeah you guys should all check out wang Chen's table tennis club and if anyone goes let me know and I'll try to be there :).

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I just got my shipment from colestt and this time he hooked me up with more than just little bit than what he usually tosses in extra. Wasn't just rubbers either. I got an extree blade this time too, sure it wasn't 896, but it was a blade I never tried, so that frees up an 896. Maybe I can cough you up a special to test for a spell, then you cough it up to someone else at your club. There are many threads on MyTT where someone gives a member a bat to test, then they post to a thread who wants it next, and it finds its way around the world.

As for pics of my serve, some Korean club owner did that along with my BH opening topspin. Carl is gunna make some wicked pics I think. We'll figure out where to hit before that weekend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I just got my shipment from colestt and this time he hooked me up with more than just little bit than what he usually tosses in extra. Wasn't just rubbers either. I got an extree blade this time too, sure it wasn't 896, but it was a blade I never tried, so that frees up an 896. Maybe I can cough you up a special to test for a spell, then you cough it up to someone else at your club. There are many threads on MyTT where someone gives a member a bat to test, then they post to a thread who wants it next, and it finds its way around the world.

As for pics of my serve, some Korean club owner did that along with my BH opening topspin. Carl is gunna make some wicked pics I think. We'll figure out where to hit before that weekend.
It would be a great to have a bat circulating! We should make a thread like that :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your coach is on the ITTF site! Nice. He seems like a great guy. What did you learn from him you can share with us Carl?

Hard to put it all into words. I am 49. I started playing about 5 years ago. I am pretty much self taught. I did not work with a coach till this year when I realized I was stuck at a certain spot that was hard to progress past.

Working with him, I am able to handle the ball when it is coming at me faster, my footwork is improving, I am able to move to random placement better. He showed me what specifically I need to do to spin the ball more, to make the stroke more efficient. Before I started working with him I could loop and my loop was consistent if the ball was blocked to a particular spot, but it did not have the same amount of power. Now, if I am looping to someone who is blocking the ball and ever ball is different speed, spin and placement, I can still loop 20-30-40 in a row while moving to each separate ball. Obviously serve and receive skills have improved and my level of play has increased a lot.

But, you know, he reads me well. There have been a few times where I was too tired or something else was wrong and he said, "whats wrong today?" He just knew things were not right and so he adjusted the work we did and made it something useful for the day even though I was not even close to 100%. There have been other days where he said, "hey, you are playing really well today, lets work on this, which you have not been able to do before." So he knows when to drive me harder and when to get me to back off and be easier on myself. In a way, that might be the best lesson. I tend to try to work as hard as possible but sometimes that is fighting against the flow.

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl is saying Dude is a REAL COACH, not a highly paid blocker money grabbing black hole who strings the player along, nope, Carl's coach shows all the indications of being legit, something you do not see in every TT center. That is something to be aware of in USA, some coaches do not do things that get the player to understand the game and improve their level. Some players are destined to not improve by their deficiencies in approach, commitment, ability or whatever, but a real coach develops these things. Some just bring them along enough to make the player happy or give him something to brag about without raising their overall level. Some players are OK with that, many not. I see way too many USATT 1400-1500 players in USA getting coaching and years later, are still 1500ish at best players when they should be at 1900 level minimum.