Trip to China-Shanghai training 2014

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hi everyone,

So I recently returned from a trip to China (Shanghai) for training, I wanted to share with you some of my experiences, info and pictures from the trip. I was in Shanghai for around a month and traveled around to many different local clubs, universities, schools and training centers to play with a wide variety of players. I had help organizing and planning my trip from a friend who has lived in Shanghai for a few years!

-We practiced usually about 5 or 6 hours a day but it varied as we planned the training our self.
-Played with the best school kids in Shanghai for the 14-15 age group
-Trained in the Shanghai high school
-Trained many times with the over 50's world doubles champion and also an ex- team mate of Wang Liqin!

I feel training in China with the quality of practice you get there really helps improve your game, especially in the areas of playing with good quality on every ball, strength of shot, serve and receive and also footwork/movement. I have been the last few years every summer to China and its always an exciting and very good learning experience, and you never fail to see some cool and crazy stuff ;) If you ever get a chance to go, definitely take it guys!

Feel free to ask me any questions about my experiences and training there!

DSC00761.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

Cool trip Tom. I guess most of the players here will want to go if they have the opportunity. After all, training in the nation where champions are created faster than they build Suzuki's has to be amazing.

My question about the training. Do the trainers really improve u there as a player by punishing your mistakes or ''wrong/different'' choices in technique, are do even you still get the feeling to be a bit used as ''flight-in sparring partner for locals''? I guess this depends a lot on the player itself since your attitude and willingness to learn is measured as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Glad you enjoyed the trip!
There is still a lot of other places with amazing players all over especially in Shanghai and Beijing :)
Actually most of the places you went to are kind of private places but the biggest one in the photos is in the center of Shanghai in JingAn district: Tang Wei Yi (former asian champ) ping pong club and anyone can join there.

Last edited:

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hi Krispy,to be honest I didn't have any coaches or trainers there. It was just good training with strong players and intense hard work! But the good players punish your mistakes or poor shots so you learn quickly to play with more quality on each ball. And anchorschmidt the kids were good but most of them I was able to beat, but they were only 14 so I don't think I will be beating them much longer ;)

I think the biggest improvements I made when going to China are learning to play stronger shots and movement/footwork. Also your touch play improves because if you don't keep the ball short you will be picking it up a lot haha!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Hey Tom,
im in Shanghai and i want to play tabletennis, but i can't find any local clubs or traning centers.. is it possible to go to this clubs and train there?

Can you give me an adress where i have to go?