ITTF Trailing "No-Let" Rule

This user has no status.
Hello,

At the Belarus Open which is currently being held , in the under 21 Men's and Woman's singles matches the ITTF are trailing the use of the "No Let" Rule on Service,

No Let Rule
An enthralling tournament awaits especially in the Under 21 Men’s Singles and Under 21 Women’s Singles events where the “no let” experiment on service will be the order of matters. The original proposal of using a multi coloured ball has been shelved.

You can see this quote at the bottom of the ITTF page here: http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=36656&Category=general&Competition_ID=

Current Rule : Player Serves > Hits Top of net/Goes Over to other side > Let Called > Point Replayed

No Let Rule : Player Serves > Hits Top of net/Goes over to other side > No let called > Play Continues (IE if it hits the net you have to make a good return)

Discuss..

Reactions: FutureAudio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
really bad rule...
why do u want to change anything?
if u want more entertaiment in table tennis
make more style come up!
just increase height of the net (ex. 2-3cm)
attacks will be slower
spin will be the same
styles like blocking, long pimples near table etc will show up much more
and u will have more entertaiment sport!

Reactions: jley and chuklebolt
This user has no status.
really bad rule...
why do u want to change anything?
if u want more entertaiment in table tennis
make more style come up!
just increase height of the net (ex. 2-3cm)
attacks will be slower
spin will be the same
styles like blocking, long pimples near table etc will show up much more
and u will have more entertaiment sport!

Exactly my thought. Making the net higher and maybe make the table a bit smaller should increase number of shots in the rallies (thus making the game more spectacular) and diversity in playing style.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As much as I feel bad even the THINKING of considering a change in rules to allow a net ball on serve.......

It is WAY more abhorable to consider changing things like the table size or net height.

All of you who want to change the net height or size of table, please take ur meds and return to the forum. It's OK, I have days where I forget them too. Our sport doesn't need to tinker with those, it is plenty exciting, competitive, suspenseful, and athletic as it is now. Our problem is one of popularity that stems from cultural, value, or infastructure that leads to a lack of interested viewer base that causes our sport to NOT attract much in the way of advertising or sponsors like other accepted sports. Our sport is actually gaining in these areas, but at a poor and unaceptable rate.

Everyone do your best to support a club or help the ingredients for some more to grow and that will be a bottom up pressure. that will result later in a favorable improvement.

Last edited:

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I see JHB is committed to Aurus as hiz main rubber now. :)

I never did understand the meaning of commitment. :) Nope, after playing with both blades I've decided I prefer the good old Contra - better balanced, faster ( with Aurus ! ) and doesn't resemble a dustbin lid with a handle. Anybody wanna buy a Super Balsa II - lightly used ?

To return to the main subject; what I'd like to see is some way to make the top of the net (even) stiffer so that less net cords just "die" into the table. Raising the height of the net has been suggested at regular intervals down the years. To my mind that could only work if you made the table larger rather than smaller, and we really DON'T want to go there !!

P.S. One advantage of two bats - if you're playing really gash you can always blame the bat and change it !!!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I thnk this is going too far.. Changing all possible rules will just have a negative impact for the sport IMO. Strange that the ITTF have suddenly started to make and try so many new things to the sport

It isn't just now or suddenly. Since Adham became president, he influenced many changes, some reasonable, many in my opinion not. Some borderline unreasonable, some simply insane.

A TTD member has a status of mad as a hatter or something like that haha.

This call is more idiotic than this clip...

This user has no status.
Change is always difficult. Likely any change will be unwelcome by some., but what in the world is the point of this rule. Are let's really that big of a deal. On the rare chance that there are more than two lets in a row, I think it's funny. And if anything, the server should be penilized. So then what happens...the serves get higher....then what happens....they get destroyed and the rally is over. How does this better TT. The best looking rallies are attacker against a defender 10-15 feet from the table. Find a way for defenders to make the top 5 and then you have a game for television.