What's wrong my serve??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Hi, I really want to know why my hand skin always gets blisters after service training? I always feel that my hand is rubbed(or gazed) by rubber after service because of the reaction.

I use my wrist, move my center of gravity and legs turn. When I impact ball I use my wrist instantly, so my wrist has reaction outward after service because I hit the ball so hard in moment. The ball goes fast and has low angle, much spin but my hand looks bad.

How can I do? I want to know whether these things are normal to train service or not. If I take a slow impact then my hand is okay but low spin, so opponent can attack very easy.:(
68050d96b463210b3a72c7896eb3dd19.jpg

6d21a7f7c16133c85362b3141b06980c.jpg

This two points always make me angry.. help..[emoji26]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
Hi, that looks a bit annoying. However the best thing what you can do is just keep practicing. Your skin will get used to it. You might have those blister for a while but I believe that eventually you will be fine. It´s a same thing when you start to play guitar or bass. My skin peeled of from the top of my fingers about 5-7 times (15 years ago) and after that I haven´t had any problems in that department.

Cheers,
Tommi

Reactions: RyanLol
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Hi, that looks a bit annoying. However the best thing what you can do is just keep practicing. Your skin will get used to it. You might have those blister for a while but I believe that eventually you will be fine. It´s a same thing when you start to play guitar or bass. My skin peeled of from the top of my fingers about 5-7 times (15 years ago) and after that I haven´t had any problems in that department.

Cheers,
Tommi
Thank you Tommi! I thought that my training method had some problem, but you compared with guitar so I understand why my hand skin has peeled over again. Thanks![emoji1]

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
That surely looks nasty. If it is the neck part of your blade which is causing this then you might consider sanding the neck of your blade to make it bit smoother. Also, when doing the pendulum serve try hold the blade (with curled fingers) more towards the edge part that closure to the handle.

Good luck and play well!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
That surely looks nasty. If it is the neck part of your blade which is causing this then you might consider sanding the neck of your blade to make it bit smoother. Also, when doing the pendulum serve try hold the blade (with curled fingers) more towards the edge part that closure to the handle.

Good luck and play well!
Thanks! :) My handle shape is good. When I try to serve, my hand is touched by rubber, not the racket, handle grip just looks like pendulum with curled fingers.

I also used sanding to be comfortable to play TT before. So, I think that this blisters have been caused by the rubber because of the reaction after service.

Did you have experienced like my case?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Does the handle shape feel comfortable? If not, that could be something to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Handle is okay because I used sanding to adjust my hand, It is also smooth. I have always been rubbed by rubber because of the reaction after my service. Thanks!:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
It's normal. You'll eventually get a callus. Your skin blisters because the serving grip is a bit loose, necessary to generate speed.
Thanks! Yeah, I also agree with you.
33d5c97acd297070186cb725cad02bf3.jpg

I have worked out with pull-ups and muscle ups for 2years, then I have some callus like this. This is the same way, right?

Now, I set my mind at rest because these things are normal and follow process to be skilled for my service.

Thanks a lot your comments!:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
I have never not sanded my blade. I once played a tourney before I sanded it and the staff there ended up giving me a bandaid haha. Sand the part where there is no rubber but it's not the handle.
I am also sanding my racket "wing", not my handle. But I know if handle shape is not correct for owns hand, sanding slightly or grip taping. Thanks your opinion!:)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I doubt it is from the wing of the blade below the rubber, maybe if this is happening from match play. IF the OP is modifying his serve grip (and is normally a shakehand player) then all those areas his fingers and the area above them will be touching rubber. IF the OP's serve grip is loose (like needed to accelerate the bat well) then I agree with the member who says this could be normal result from this and also agree that with time, the skin adapts and will harden to stop this in the future.

On another related tangent, I use grip tape for almost every blade I use or test. In Korea, I used to play anywhere from 3-5 hours a day and my right hand (naturally being a right hand player) got really tough and dry skin built up on the right thumb on the part that is closest to the next finger. The dry tough skin would build up to a point where eventually it would have to peel and it was THICK. Real thick. I saw a few J-Pen players have similar problems with their skin where their hand or fingers make contact with the handle. One player got this so bad that during the times it was peeling (and revealing raw areas) he would wear a cloth glove to play fro a few days.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
I doubt it is from the wing of the blade below the rubber, maybe if this is happening from match play. IF the OP is modifying his serve grip (and is normally a shakehand player) then all those areas his fingers and the area above them will be touching rubber. IF the OP's serve grip is loose (like needed to accelerate the bat well) then I agree with the member who says this could be normal result from this and also agree that with time, the skin adapts and will harden to stop this in the future.

On another related tangent, I use grip tape for almost every blade I use or test. In Korea, I used to play anywhere from 3-5 hours a day and my right hand (naturally being a right hand player) got really tough and dry skin built up on the right thumb on the part that is closest to the next finger. The dry tough skin would build up to a point where eventually it would have to peel and it was THICK. Real thick. I saw a few J-Pen players have similar problems with their skin where their hand or fingers make contact with the handle. One player got this so bad that during the times it was peeling (and revealing raw areas) he would wear a cloth glove to play fro a few days.
Haha, I am waiting for you. Yeah, you are all right, I loose my handle when I need to generate much more spin or speed than before, then hit the ball with hard impact and the reaction is followed, so my hand is rubbed by the rubber.

Whenever I need to help what I did not solve, you always write with good comments for me, Thanks:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Yeah I had the same after starting table tennis. My skin roughened up after some time.
Yeah, I understand that this process needs to improve my service, so it totally becomes better as time goes by.:) Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
There might be another explanation. Probably you hold your racket to stiff, especially when you hit the ball. If clench your hand on the racket while hitting the ball this problem Can happen. The other disadvantage is that probably your spin is not good enough. There always should be your wrist working.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I make sure that it is common problem to any player who is just practicing service. The fact is that it happened to me one year ago when I tried to practice types of complicated services without guiders. At that time, I used my arm's force rather than wrist, I flexed my muscles to make a service, and it result in skin wound like yours. When it happens to you, you just need to stop playing for some days until your skin cicatrises. Then you practice again with holding your blade looser and try use force from wrist rather than your arm to make a service.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
There might be another explanation. Probably you hold your racket to stiff, especially when you hit the ball. If clench your hand on the racket while hitting the ball this problem Can happen. The other disadvantage is that probably your spin is not good enough. There always should be your wrist working.
Hmm..In my case, I loose grip the racket when I swing with pendulum, then I hit the ball holding powerfuly with my wrist but I do not only use my wrist but also arm.

I have experienced that i have used only wrist power to serve, then the ball has been only "spin ball" and short ball not powerful or fast. But when I use my arm to accelerate speed to hit the ball, then the ball really goes fast, powerful spin and low angle(with very little bounce), so opponent has difficult in driving or smash, they use just cut or flip. So.. I want to do this service without my hand skin problem.

So, yeah I have used my wrist with my arm but you tell me if i want to maintain for soft hand, then I have to priority to wrist impact not arm swing. I understand. Thanks!!:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
I make sure that it is common problem to any player who is just practicing service. The fact is that it happened to me one year ago when I tried to practice types of complicated services without guiders. At that time, I used my arm's force rather than wrist, I flexed my muscles to make a service, and it result in skin wound like yours. When it happens to you, you just need to stop playing for some days until your skin cicatrises. Then you practice again with holding your blade looser and try use force from wrist rather than your arm to make a service.
Okay! I have to take a rest for recovery my hand, then I have prioirty to the wrist. Thanks a lot!:)