What is your Current and All time top 10?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Here's mine:

Active (Taking last 3 years into account)
1. Zhang Jike
......Wang Hao (retired)
2. Ma Long
3. Xu Xin
4. Timo Boll
5. Vladimir Samsonov (Sightly above a few others owing to what he can still do at his age)
6. Fan Zhendong
7. Dimitrij Ovtcharov
7. Yan An
8. Joo Se Hyuk (because of the difficulty of his style)
9. Kenta Matsudaira
10. Chuang Chih Yuan (because of his never say die spirit)

All time
1. Jan Ove Waldner:
The only non-Asian player to seriously challenge the Chinese over his career. A lot of players probably learned a lot from him regarding his strokes and his tactical prowess. He peaked at the right times and at his peak could beat the whole world 3-0. (lost no sets in WTTC 1997 and only one set after a deuce in OG 1992). He also had the most efficient and all-round technique as well as a combination of great serves and placement even at risky angles. The Chinese never really figured him out unlike how they are able to keep pinning Timo on his backhand every game.
2. Liu Guoliang:
Very Unique style and very efficient at taking control of the table extremely quickly. He also had excellent serves and pioneered the RPB.
3. Wang liqin:
Though he didn't complete his grand-slam, Wang Liqin's dominance at the top of the rankings as well as winning the WTTC 3 times has to be considered. He had a brutal but effective forehand and didn't really need to do anything other than open up FH to FH which makes him a bit boring for me but no one has dominated match after match to the extent that he did.
4. Zhang Jike:
He is great at staying close to the table and keeping his head in tense situations. He is also very strong at deflected attacks directly on his body, which makes it very difficult for anyone to take over the table while playing against him.
5. Kong Linghui: Very smooth technique and he won the grand-slam so he deserves a spot as well.
6. Wang Hao: Best RPB of all time, especially when you consider how good his RPB was when he was just 19. He has been amazingly consistent as well and I think that people underrate him a bit because he lost a lot of finals but he got to 13 finals in the first place and that has to count for something.
7. Ma Lin: Ma Lin had a magic touch and great footwork. I really like his sense of timing and you can imagine the amount of spin he puts on the ball with his chop blocks.
8. Jiang Jialiang: I saw a couple of old videos of him and he had a pretty brutal penhold forehand.
9. Guo Yuehua: I haven't seen him play but he's on the list according to accounts that I've read that describe him as a great talent. He also beat Waldner and Persson after he had retired in an unofficial match.
10. Jorgen Persson: A great player who could have achieved more in Men's Singles. Along with the Swedes, Persson improved the shakehand backhand topspin and did it better than anyone I've seen.

This user has no status.
Your all-time list starts late seventies/early eighties which isn't really all-time.
Any all-time list has to start with Barna as number one. He was the one who popularised TT and made it into a worldwide sport.

Sometimes it's nice to see old TT videos, gives an idea of how it has evolved in time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Your all-time list starts late seventies/early eighties which isn't really all-time.
Any all-time list has to start with Barna as number one. He was the one who popularised TT and made it into a worldwide sport.

You have a point!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
my list for the last 5 years

1.zhang jike [main reason grand slam champion]
2. ma long [main reason world cup 2012 winner]
3.timo boll [main reason only player to challenge chinese in the last couple years]
4 xu xin [main reason world cup 2013 winner]
5 wang hao [main reason world cup winner 2010]
6.ovtcharov [main reason olympic bronze medalist]
7.zhendong [main reason only 17 and omongst the world best 5]
8 samsonov [main reason another player to challenge chinese and still good to this day]
9 joo se hyuk [main reason the best chopper in history]
10 mizutani [main reason best japanese player]

all time

1 waldner [only non chinese player to get a grand slam]
2 ma lin [4 time world cup winner and 2008 olympic champion]
3 samsonov [challenged and beat chinese players at many events]
4 wang liqin [chinese legend]
5 zhang jike [fastest grand slam champion in history]
6 liu gouliang [grand slam champion]
7 timo boll [challened and beat chinese at many events]
8 kong linghui [chinese legend]
9 persson [challened and beat chinese at many events]
10 wang hao [world cup winner 2010 and 2012-2008 olympic silver medalist]
additional
11 werner schlager[challened and beat chinese at many events]

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
Your all-time list is pretty fair but where are the players who made tabletennis popular like Barna, Fred Perry or players who dominated their decade like Jiang Jialiang?
My list:
Taking the last five years into account:
1. Zhang Jike
2. Xu Xin
3. Ma Long
4. Ovtcharov
5. Wang Hao
6. Timo Boll
7. Ma Lin
8. Vladimir Samsonov
9. Wang Liqin
10. Chuang Chih Yuan

All-time list:
1. Wang Liqin (although he didn't achieve the grand slam, he dominated the sport like nobody else did)
2. Victor Barna (because of his dominance and because he made tabletennis popular)
3. J.O. Waldner (because of his unbelivable touch and he won everthing you can win)
4. Zhang Jike (greatest allrounder and Grand Slam Winner)
5. Fred Perry (the only one who became World Champion in tabletennis and won at least a Major in Tennis)
6. Jiang Jialiang (he dominated his decade like WLQ but he didn't had that competition like WLQ had.
7. Liu Guoliang and Kong Linghui (Grand-Slam Winners)
9. Timo Boll (he didn't became World- or Olympic Champion but he won more EC's than anyone else and he is the only one who could compete against the CNT for a decade)
10. Vladimir Samsonov (Top ten player for nearly two decades and multiple EC and World Cup winner)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
i know barna and fred perry made the sport popular but old table tennis is not like the table tennis of the present just like with football and all sport if bring an old player like barna in 1949 vs zhang jike in 2011 who do u think will win thats why i didnt include them in my list i counted my list from maybe like 1980 to the present well thats just my opinion

Reactions: jeycop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
my list for the last 5 years

1.zhang jike [main reason grand slam champion]
2. ma long [main reason world cup 2012 winner]
3.timo boll [main reason only player to challenge chinese in the last couple years]
4 xu xin [main reason world cup 2013 winner]
5 wang hao [main reason world cup winner 2010]
6.ovtcharov [main reason olympic bronze medalist]
7.zhendong [main reason only 17 and omongst the world best 5]
8 samsonov [main reason another player to challenge chinese and still good to this day]
9 joo se hyuk [main reason the best chopper in history]
10 mizutani [main reason best japanese player]

all time

1 waldner [only non chinese player to get a grand slam]
2 ma lin [4 time world cup winner and 2008 olympic champion]
3 samsonov [challenged and beat chinese players at many events]
4 wang liqin [chinese legend]
5 zhang jike [fastest grand slam champion in history]
6 liu gouliang [grand slam champion]
7 timo boll [challened and beat chinese at many events]
8 kong linghui [chinese legend]
9 persson [challened and beat chinese at many events]
10 wang hao [world cup winner 2010 and 2012-2008 olympic silver medalist]
additional
11 werner schlager[challened and beat chinese at many events]

I don't really agree with your reasoning here. Sure, Timo might have challenged the Chinese but a grand slam winnner like Kong Linghui and a three times silver medalist in OG and 2 times silver medalist in WTTC (as well as winning it in 2009) is still more accomplished than Timo. Just because he challenged the Chinese doesn't make him better than some of the players. A player is a player. IMO you shouldn't get bonus points for being non-Chinese. Yes, their training is harder but they also have much more competition to make the CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
but the chinese r made for table tennis there body is made for a light racket sport like badminton and table tennis thats kind of a advantage but i just think that timo is a breat player he has a great attitude plays brilliant table tennis but also unlucky and ur right they should not get extra points for being chinese but they king of have and advantage well thats just my opinion

says Aging is a killer
i know barna and fred perry made the sport popular but old table tennis is not like the table tennis of the present just like with football and all sport if bring an old player like barna in 1949 vs zhang jike in 2011 who do u think will win thats why i didnt include them in my list i counted my list from maybe like 1980 to the present well thats just my opinion

If you are going to say that, then you can't compare 1980-2000 players with the present. Those players had 38mmm ball. hidden serves and some really powerful speedglue. That's a very different sport to today.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
but the chinese r made for table tennis there body is made for a light racket sport like badminton and table tennis thats kind of a advantage but i just think that timo is a breat player he has a great attitude plays brilliant table tennis but also unlucky and ur right they should not get extra points for being chinese but they king of have and advantage well thats just my opinion

Can you explain 'the chinese are built for tt'

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
its kind of hard to explain but this is all i know about it. Its something about there bone structure like africans there body is made for running and swimming and chinese there body is made for a light racket sport badminton or table tennis its something about bone structure and muscle growth well thats just what i heard

says Aging is a killer
its kind of hard to explain but this is all i know about it. Its something about there bone structure like africans there body is made for running and swimming and chinese there body is made for a light racket sport badminton or table tennis its something about bone structure and muscle growth well thats just what i heard

I'll put it as gently as I can. That sort of statement today is considered very racist.

This user has no status.

First of all that isn't true, animals, including humans, will only "evolve" i.e bone structure etc, if the weaker ones are killed because of the "bad" genes etc. So people living in an environment with lions and tigers need to be able to escape these animals, therefore the athletic people will survive and pass on the "good" genes. No one in china needed to play table tennis to escape lions and tigers.

Secondly that is quite racist, whether it is a complement or an insult.