Developing shorter and compact strokes

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello Everyone,

I have been working a lot on my timing, posture and movement. However, I am by far from being any good. I have a few questions which are related to timing the ball, which I feel I need some help on. I hope that you all will also find my questions worthy and would share your valuable experiences with me.

Question: My strokes are with full swing, this generally means that I let my hand drop till my knee or below and then take the ball late with mostly upwards motion. Since I learned most part of the forehand topspin on my own, this action comes natural to me.

Although this gives me good spin but I loose on the speed, depth and placement part. I understood that for the correct timing of any stroke specially forehand topspin, the initial motion is to just guide the racket to the ball and accelerate just before the contact.

Well, this is easier said than done, since I execute my stroke in one smooth motion, accelerating just before the ball contact seems unnatural and jerky and I just fail to adjust to this new technique or it is just that may be I misunderstood the entire concept?

However, currently, I am loosing big time on long serve attack since I tend to attack very strong but due to my action I sometimes just miss the contact totally on the serve attack or its just an upwards graze on the ball. Worst of all, due to big swings, I get tired after continuous attack and become more and more inconsistent as the match progresses.

Can you guys please help on how can I get rid of these long swings and develop a compact more efficient shorter stroke for my forehand?

Thank you for taking your time out to go through my post and for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Some other REALLY important things to consider that will GREATLY help your recovery are often overlooked.

Stance - being wide, crouched and open at least a little is crucial. If your stance is to upright, you do any kind of power shot and you will take 2-3 steps to recover. Too late. Point over dude.

Balance - if you swing with any power and you are lunging, reaching, or leaning back like gumby, you will finish your stroke and be so off balance you need another extra step or two or three to get back on track. Too late.

Position - if your position is not good enough, you will impact the ball lout of your effective strike zone and end up off balance.

Anticipation - This goes along with what you expect opponent to do and what you WANT to do before you do it. An example could be do a slow BH spinny loop deep and pivot open to FH stance ready to clobber the block.

There are some other factors, but improving these will get you immediate results once you actually improve them.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am not even getting into stroke mechanics and what muscles you use. I am assuming these are already efficient enough.

if you are worn down after several big swings, then it could be you are not using efficient mechanics as well, or are simply not in any kind of shape. That will take care of itself as you play more. Maybe also pay attention to effective striking mechanics too.

This user has no status.
The starting position is actually important. The lower you go, the more you lose in speed but you will give more spin. So to perform a faster shot you have to start a little higher. There is nothing bad in making a full swing, you gain more power but you need to be sure not to go too far away from the ending position. You just need to train to get faster in position for the next ball.

length of the swing equates to the speed of the incoming ball. the faster the ball especially when you are transitioning from one stroke to another or changing positions the lesser or more compact your swing is. also, the farther the distance from the table the larger your swing should be.