Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

This user has no status.
The catapult is not the problem, it is the tackiness. The tackiness almost negates the catapult on softer shots so passsive blocks against balls without power are tricky.

That's a problem I had with all tacky rubbers I've tried, and why I much prefer the non-tacky variety. There are a few Chinese ones available. For passive blocking, tacky rubbers are pretty much useless so technique needs to be adjusted a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
That's a problem I had with all tacky rubbers I've tried, and why I much prefer the non-tacky variety. There are a few Chinese ones available. For passive blocking, tacky rubbers are pretty much useless so technique needs to be adjusted a lot.

As an offensive RPB player who flicks and loops a lot more than flat hit or block passively on my backhand, I find tacky rubbers with catapult effect a lot more advantageous to my game. I'm athletic, play with knees bend and butt close to the ground actively swinging at everything that comes my way. I discovered early 2011 when switching from shakehand to penhold that my natural style and rhythm is very similar to xu xin, so i studied (and have studied ever since) his technique very carefully. It was funny for me to see xu xin switch from tenergy to H350 on his backhand shortly after I made that switch, because I wanted him to after realizing athleticism and solid technique can overcome the disadvantages of tacky backhand rubbers while at the same time benefit that ultra aggressive style of game play.

This user has no status.
So i got to hit today with my new weapon. Stiga intensity nct with BD black 40° fh and BD red 38° back hand. Heavier than my YEO With H3N 39° FH and yinhe jupiter 38° BH. The rubbers havent really broken in, yet im really impressed. I will report back after more play time. (Played with the xushaofa seamless ball).

Agree with everything said so far in the review. The tack has next to disappeared (very mild), which saddens my forehand, alas im hoping it will restore with proper cleaning.

Reactions: Liten
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So i got to hit today with my new weapon. Stiga intensity nct with BD black 40° fh and BD red 38° back hand. Heavier than my YEO With H3N 39° FH and yinhe jupiter 38° BH. The rubbers havent really broken in, yet im really impressed. I will report back after more play time. (Played with the xushaofa seamless ball).

Agree with everything said so far in the review. The tack has next to disappeared (very mild), which saddens my forehand, alas im hoping it will restore with proper cleaning.

Tack lasts forever. Just clean it.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anybody know if big dipper would go well with a composite blade like nexy arirang or other composite blades similar to that one? I'm looking to try one of those composite blades with big dipper but not sure if it would go well with a blade like that one.

Since you said Arirang... :D

I gotta say it is so dependent on what the player does with his impact. Next level will back that statement. For what he does, this rubber, on a LOT of blades he uses or tests works for him for the kind of impact he prefers.

Myself, I always liked a a little softer Euro rubber on FH for that blade, like Evolution FX-P.

HOW you impact the ball makes a huge difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Euro gripy rubbers? I believe i have read about some people suggesting evolution rubber for nexy arirang being apparently a good combo.

I won't know yet since i'm mainly just trying to make a combination blade/rubber, in this case a blade like nexy arirang for the future, i'm not really gonna buy it yet just seeing what could work. But what you said about the impact and rubber is true, i for one think that nexy seems a bit weak in power(from the reviews i read) so i though maybe a rubber like big dipper would help channel a bit more power in the shots but from what i read nexy arirang seems to be picky on the rubber, so that's why i wonder if it could work with a tacky rubber like this one. Thanks for replying Der_Echte.

The video from Next level was helpful seeing how the big dipper works appreciate it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I tried a Big Dipper on Ebenholz V, and I like it a lot. Feels like an H3 with a TON of booster in it. Seriously, it domes right out of the package. More pleasant to play than H3: it is easier to extract top speed out of it than from a sheet of commercial H3 I had on the blade before. I read that there were some QC problems with this rubbers, do they still exist? I am considering switching to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I tried a Big Dipper on Ebenholz V, and I like it a lot. Feels like an H3 with a TON of booster in it. Seriously, it domes right out of the package. More pleasant to play than H3: it is easier to extract top speed out of it than from a sheet of commercial H3 I had on the blade before. I read that there were some QC problems with this rubbers, do they still exist? I am considering switching to it.

All Chinese rubbers have QC problems in my limited experience with them - it's not necessarily that the rubber will not play Well, but that you are not always confident it will play like the last sheet did or that they didn't mess up the sponge hardness or that a sheet won't bubble etc. That said, for the price, Some people find the risk tolerable. For 1.6 times the price, I can play with Evolution MX-S largely the same way, just better. And I don't have QC concerns.

I broke USATT 2000 playing with Big Dipper on both forehand and backhand. I have love for the rubber. It really depends on whether you are willing to run the risk that the rubber *may* not play quite the way it played the last time.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
All Chinese rubbers have QC problems in my limited experience with them - it's not necessarily that the rubber will not play Well, but that you are not always confident it will play like the last sheet did or that they didn't mess up the sponge hardness or that a sheet won't bubble etc.

Really well explained. Dead on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Got the 38deg red with yellow sponge for my BH. Currently have not had QC problems so far. Bought 3 sheets. Make sure it has the "13 province" sticker on the top left corner and the sheet having 8 corners. Current setup H3 Neo Hard 2.15mm FH. Used to use Donic BF M3 on BH on a Yinhe Pro 7w. Now, same setup but BD 38deg on BH.
I much prefer the BD as it's more linear it's easier to serve high spin short serves just using the tacky topsheet where you won't get too much catapult. Same for the short game. But once you start to engage the sponge the catapult starts to kick in and you can BH loop, drive, flick extremely easily with very high spin and speed. Arc I would say it's medium high. Only problem I have with BD is on flat hard drives... It would either sail long or go into the net...I never had this problem with the M3. I tried the same type of shot on my friends bat with the same rubber but a different wood and the results were the same...But I almost never use this shot in the game so currently it's not a concern for me, but it's something I have to work on. So I tried it on my FH strokes as well. Compared to H3 Neo that I have, it's arc is much higher, much more catapult effect but less spin. The spin can be deadly but no where as deadly as a H3 Neo Hard with Chinese FH stroke. Like many have commented BD is a good transition rubber for those aiming to use Chinese rubbers. It's also a really good BH rubber (38deg) for the plastic ball if you have good technique. Durability of the rubber I would say is good provided its well taken care of in conjunction with rubber rejuvenater like Revo No. 3 and is always covered with plastic film when not in use.

For those who interested did a close up photo of newly opened Yinhe Big Dipper 39".
Quite soft and easy to play I would say (coming from Jupiter 3 39"). Almost non-sticky.

In terms of hardness I would say that Big Dipper 39" is around Jupiter 3 37"

View attachment DSCF8959-converted.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
For those who interested did a close up photo of newly opened Yinhe Big Dipper 39".
Quite soft and easy to play I would say (coming from Jupiter 3 39"). Almost non-sticky.

In terms of hardness I would say that Big Dipper 39" is around Jupiter 3 37"

View attachment 25709
firstly, nice rubber cut!
secondly, thank you for using this thread. This was 1) my first review on TTD, 2) the thread that made Big Dipper big in the world.
That weeks of "non stop" demand of Big Dipper kind of forced many stores to introduce Big Dipper, thus creating a strong pull effect.
I am happy that Big Dipper became pretty popular.

Reactions: kolyasya
firstly, nice rubber cut!
secondly, thank you for using this thread. This was 1) my first review on TTD, 2) the thread that made Big Dipper big in the world.
That weeks of "non stop" demand of Big Dipper kind of forced many stores to introduce Big Dipper, thus creating a strong pull effect.
I am happy that Big Dipper became pretty popular.
Sadly images are broken in a 1st post :-( Thanks for review!