Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
My first review :)

Been waiting for my stock of Big Dipper to arrive, as I am looking for an alternative for the H3 on my forehand.
One of the things that caught my eyes was the blue sponge on the black rubbers (red rubbers has yellowish orange sponge).

The packaging:
The packaging is of high quality. Something totally different to previous Yinhe rubbers.
Comes in a clear wrapping, followed by the white covers - much better quality than other Yinhe rubbers:

10629810_781267448590846_9178952388114632105_n.jpg

10556384_781267478590843_1039792319512487283_n.jpg

10610564_781267515257506_6023393374715552745_n.jpg

10649568_781267538590837_1281153698741041411_n.jpg

10624602_781267568590834_1627239228114025791_n.jpg

After taking out the rubber from the clear package and white cover, the rubber itself also came with a seperate clear package.
The topsheet has another film (as per normal Tacky rubbers), and the sponge has another film (just like previous Yinhe Maxtense rubbers). This rubber also comes with a rubber protection film (just like previous Maxtense rubbers)

10626817_781267598590831_4122365084864719213_n.jpg

10592641_781267621924162_1525719433926248445_n.jpg

The top sheet quality is very good, the print of the label is better and clearer than previous Yinhe Maxtense rubbers (moon, sun)
The blue sponge is similar in colour to the DHS blue sponge.
I notice the Big Dipper (black) and Moon Speed (black) has the exact same blue Maxtense sponge. So the only differences is the hardness level.
Maxtense is supposedly be a Tensor like sponge.

10580061_781267655257492_319146373135834642_n.jpg

1557435_781267671924157_2204138283918411553_n.jpg

10614225_781278555256402_1906589290875886497_n.jpg

It was difficult to take the correct colour of the blue sponge due to lighting, the bottom one is the best I could get to and near perfect :)

The Rubber

I glued the rubber onto a Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive blade (Cpen)
Some specs of the rubber:
Yinhe Blue Dipper, Black, 39 Deg, Max (it is available in 38, 39 and 40 Degrees)
68grams uncut
Blue Maxtense sponge (factory tuned)
RRP from Yinhe is USD$25

The topsheet is not as tacky as the commercial H3/TG3.
It can only hold the ball for a split second.
The top sheet is extremely grippy (due to the tack) but not sticky tacky. The feeling is like a provincial version H3 rubber. Which means the stickiness (or rather lack of) does not stop the acceleration of the ball :)

The bounce test is similar to any other hard sponge Chinese tacky rubber - few bounces and the ball is on the rubber.

Doing a spin test, I could get great grip into the sponge and produce great spin.
I'm sure I can do great ghost serves and all kinds of controlled spinny serves with this rubber.

Testing Review:

Equipment
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (Cpen) - 94 grams
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper, Black, Max - 39 Deg sponge - 44 grams (cpen cut with 1.5cm gap)
BH: Andro Hexer+ (old rubber), Red, 2.1mm - 38grams (cpen cut with 1.5cm gap)
Total weight - 178grams

Warm up and first impression

My first impression was - huge catapult effect - It didn't feel like a Chinese tacky rubber.
It took me around 5 balls before getting the ball onto the table. First five balls, my first touch made the ball go 1meter off the table (I normally use H3 or TG3 on the forehand).
I had doubts that this is a 39 deg sponge, feels more like 36 deg. Maybe it got to do with the factory tuned sponge.

FH Top spin
After gettting used to the pace of the rubber, I was able to generate powerful top spin forehand shots - having high spin and power behind the ball.
As per my previous review above, there isn't a lot of tack in the top sheet (I will explain further), but with a power shot, I was able to grip deep into the sponge and release the ball with extreme precision and spin. The feeling of this sponge is similar to DHS Provincial and more leaning towards National sponge! I'm sure the pretune effect is making it so great, so I actually want to test one without the tune, so I will need to wait a couple of weeks and remove the layer at the bottom and test again.
Yinhe told me, they will be making "provincial" version of this rubber, I can't wait for that.

FH Arc
During warmup, the arc was huge - because I wasn't able to control the rubber yet.
But once I was able to control the rubber slighty better , I could generate low arc and high arc - depending on my bat angle and contact point (of the ball arc)
This feeling is the same with a boosted H3 commercial or provincial H3, just below national H3.
It is very easy to use (a bit too fast and powerful for my students though)

BH Cpen Traditional block
I didn't try a SH backhand, or Cpen RPB (Didn't have enough time as I was doing all this in a coaching session)
The traditional block (passive) arc was quite high, but with a power added traditional block, the arc can get pretty low and more tricky for the opponent.
Again the same feeling as a boosted H3 commerical or prov and just below nat H3 rubber.

I do believe this rubber can work for RPB or normal shakehand play.

Service
I wasn't used to the big catapult effect, as most of my serves was eating too much into the sponge, thus pushing the ball long.
My spin was not as powerful as my H3, but I have to say, service is the most difficult part of the game to master, so I do believe if I had more time to use this rubber, I am able to control it fully.

At the moment, I can only control it 50% and able to do ghost serves, down the line on the white line and side spin onto the base white line and off the right hand side of the table.
Long serve was very easy to do, but overall my service quality, placement etc was not good.
There is plenty of spin, so I don't have doubt that the rubber is good for service, I just need more time to train myself with it.

Short Balls/Chops

Getting the ball on the bounce (short balls), I manage to use only the tack of the topsheet and only using the sponge when required. So this is like 2 gears - soft sponge and hard sponge basically. My placement was great, and few times my opponent only got there after the second bounce (wide fh short). Placement - great, spin - almost great.

Chops.
I did some underspin feeding to my students. Extreme spinny. I can use only the top sheet tack or also can eat deap into the sponge. If I go deep into the sponge, my students will net the ball with a top spin shot (didn't adjust in my change of action). I did notice that my deep into the sponge feed, to shoot out faster and longer - same as a Tensor rubber

So I think I need to serve with this "2 gear" action - Topsheet with little sponge, or with lots of sponge.
But so far for both chop and service - I do wish for a bit less catapult effect.

Conclusion.
I think the sponge is too soft for a rating of 39 Deg. I actually want to try 40 or 41 Dec, or 39 with no tune.
The top sheet is just perfect - not too tacky and feels like a provincial H3 top sheet. It also has great grip due to a pretty elastic top sheet - what makes this nice is that one can use the tack when required (short movement or just contact the top sheet), or go further into the sponge and grip the ball like a Tensor rubber and when doing that, you have a best of both worlds (slight tack + tensor like sponge)

I think this rubber is great for players who want tacky rubber but on a softer sponge, or Tensor like sponge. Or Euro style game, but want a Chinese like forehand or play. Best of both worlds and I didn't even know such rubber exists.

The marketing of this rubber states this is a forehand rubber, but due to the soft feel, I would say, this can work on the backhand too. Also the rubber is not heavy compared to a H3 (50grams vs Big Dipper of 44 grams cpen cut). My rating of the soft feel is medium - medium hard, or around 36deg - same as Tenergy 05 +/-.

Also note, this is designed for the new ball. And I have notice much more spin from a topspin game than that of a regular H3 boosted (all other new poly rubber state more spin....I haven't tested other rubbers yet, so maybe if true, this is a pattern).
For example on the more spin, my student uses a TG3 Neo, and tried out my setup. I was choping with a TSP P4 Curl on a TSP Balsa 3.5 (Def+) and with the TG3 he was netting 50% of the balls. With the Big Dipper, he net less than 20% of the ball. I'm sure he will buy a Big Dipper tomorrow
tongue.png

Few things to note:
- I glued up the rubber on Friday, tested out today (Monday), so the rubber did "air" a bit.
- This rubber is factory tuned, so the feeling will change once the tune weighs out.
-The black rubber has blue sponge, red rubber is orange. I'm not sure if the red rubber is similar at this stage.
- I am a seller of Yinhe, so some may think I might be biased. I have to say, this rubber really surprise me and I will give it a few more tries and comment once I can control 80% of the rubber. I have a feeling I can move over from H3 to Big Dipper.
- Oh, and the blue sponge is just way too cool

Now I just like to nominate Yogi_Bear to get one and do a review too

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Looking forward the rest of it : )
Is Yinhe very commonly distributed in many countries? I ask because I can't find their rubbers in any of my local stores nor popular international stores that I know, but maybe I am blind, who knows.

I don't think Yinhe is available every where - especially some of the bigger international stores. But do note that they are also known as Galaxy or Milkyway (due to certain translations in the past). Now they are known as Yinhe, but I have noticed some stores still using the other 2 names - so maybe you can look out for that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I will also copy this into the opening thread, but for the rest who is waiting, here is an individual post:

Testing Review:

Equipment
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (Cpen) - 94 grams
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper, Black, Max - 39 Deg sponge - 44 grams (cpen cut with 1.5cm gap)
BH: Andro Hexer+ (old rubber), Red, 2.1mm - 38grams (cpen cut with 1.5cm gap)
Total weight - 178grams

Warm up and first impression

My first impression was - huge catapult effect - It didn't feel like a Chinese tacky rubber.
It took me around 5 balls before getting the ball onto the table. First five balls, my first touch made the ball go 1meter off the table (I normally use H3 or TG3 on the forehand).
I had doubts that this is a 39 deg sponge, feels more like 36 deg. Maybe it got to do with the factory tuned sponge.

FH Top spin
After gettting used to the pace of the rubber, I was able to generate powerful top spin forehand shots - having high spin and power behind the ball.
As per my previous review above, there isn't a lot of tack in the top sheet (I will explain further), but with a power shot, I was able to grip deep into the sponge and release the ball with extreme precision and spin. The feeling of this sponge is similar to DHS Provincial and more leaning towards National sponge! I'm sure the pretune effect is making it so great, so I actually want to test one without the tune, so I will need to wait a couple of weeks and remove the layer at the bottom and test again.
Yinhe told me, they will be making "provincial" version of this rubber, I can't wait for that.

FH Arc
During warmup, the arc was huge - because I wasn't able to control the rubber yet.
But once I was able to control the rubber slighty better , I could generate low arc and high arc - depending on my bat angle and contact point (of the ball arc)
This feeling is the same with a boosted H3 commercial or provincial H3, just below national H3.
It is very easy to use (a bit too fast and powerful for my students though)

BH Cpen Traditional block
I didn't try a SH backhand, or Cpen RPB (Didn't have enough time as I was doing all this in a coaching session)
The traditional block (passive) arc was quite high, but with a power added traditional block, the arc can get pretty low and more tricky for the opponent.
Again the same feeling as a boosted H3 commerical or prov and just below nat H3 rubber.

I do believe this rubber can work for RPB or normal shakehand play.

Service
I wasn't used to the big catapult effect, as most of my serves was eating too much into the sponge, thus pushing the ball long.
My spin was not as powerful as my H3, but I have to say, service is the most difficult part of the game to master, so I do believe if I had more time to use this rubber, I am able to control it fully.

At the moment, I can only control it 50% and able to do ghost serves, down the line on the white line and side spin onto the base white line and off the right hand side of the table.
Long serve was very easy to do, but overall my service quality, placement etc was not good.
There is plenty of spin, so I don't have doubt that the rubber is good for service, I just need more time to train myself with it.

Short Balls/Chops

Getting the ball on the bounce (short balls), I manage to use only the tack of the topsheet and only using the sponge when required. So this is like 2 gears - soft sponge and hard sponge basically. My placement was great, and few times my opponent only got there after the second bounce (wide fh short). Placement - great, spin - almost great.

Chops.
I did some underspin feeding to my students. Extreme spinny. I can use only the top sheet tack or also can eat deap into the sponge. If I go deep into the sponge, my students will net the ball with a top spin shot (didn't adjust in my change of action). I did notice that my deep into the sponge feed, to shoot out faster and longer - same as a Tensor rubber

So I think I need to serve with this "2 gear" action - Topsheet with little sponge, or with lots of sponge.
But so far for both chop and service - I do wish for a bit less catapult effect.

Conclusion.
I think the sponge is too soft for a rating of 39 Deg. I actually want to try 40 or 41 Dec, or 39 with no tune.
The top sheet is just perfect - not too tacky and feels like a provincial H3 top sheet. It also has great grip due to a pretty elastic top sheet - what makes this nice is that one can use the tack when required (short movement or just contact the top sheet), or go further into the sponge and grip the ball like a Tensor rubber and when doing that, you have a best of both worlds (slight tack + tensor like sponge)

I think this rubber is great for players who want tacky rubber but on a softer sponge, or Tensor like sponge. Or Euro style game, but want a Chinese like forehand or play. Best of both worlds and I didn't even know such rubber exists.

The marketing of this rubber states this is a forehand rubber, but due to the soft feel, I would say, this can work on the backhand too. Also the rubber is not heavy compared to a H3 (50grams vs Big Dipper of 44 grams cpen cut). My rating of the soft feel is medium - medium hard, or around 36deg - same as Tenergy 05 +/-.

Also note, this is designed for the new ball. And I have notice much more spin from a topspin game than that of a regular H3 boosted (all other new poly rubber state more spin....I haven't tested other rubbers yet, so maybe if true, this is a pattern).
For example on the more spin, my student uses a TG3 Neo, and tried out my setup. I was choping with a TSP P4 Curl on a TSP Balsa 3.5 (Def+) and with the TG3 he was netting 50% of the balls. With the Big Dipper, he net less than 20% of the ball. I'm sure he will buy a Big Dipper tomorrow :p

Few things to note:
- I glued up the rubber on Friday, tested out today (Monday), so the rubber did "air" a bit.
- This rubber is factory tuned, so the feeling will change once the tune weighs out.
-The black rubber has blue sponge, red rubber is orange. I'm not sure if the red rubber is similar at this stage.
- I am a seller of Yinhe, so some may think I might be biased. I have to say, this rubber really surprise me and I will give it a few more tries and comment once I can control 80% of the rubber. I have a feeling I can move over from H3 to Big Dipper.
- Oh, and the blue sponge is just way too cool

Now I just like to nominate Yogi_Bear to get one and do a review too :)

Reactions: Rajah* and Giangt
nice review tony but as what you have told me when we talked, this rubber is not yet available in ttnpp so it would not be any sooner when i review this. im looking for a substitute for my national globe 999 and provincial blue sponge h3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
where can i grab hold of this rubber? because i cannot find it anywhere :( even the stores that normally stock yinhe stuff

I see you in Australia.
I think best to contact one of the sellers of Yinhe and ask them about Big Dipper.
I'm sure they must be plans to bring it in - do note, this is a new rubber and only release few months ago.

This user has no status.
I see you in Australia.
I think best to contact one of the sellers of Yinhe and ask them about Big Dipper.
I'm sure they must be plans to bring it in - do note, this is a new rubber and only release few months ago.

i think the only sellers of yinhe in australia are affordablett and ooak but they do not seem to have it yet. (only sellers that i know of :p)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, I did a google search and that store and mine are the only ones in the world that stock it lol
Incredible I must say

If Big Dipper and Moon Speed are as high quality as the original Moon and Moon Pro, these are going to be very popular. You've got a scoop Tony!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If Big Dipper and Moon Speed are as high quality as the original Moon and Moon Pro, these are going to be very popular. You've got a scoop Tony!

Haha,
Well sadly, South Africa is in the middle of no-where, that means logistics is expensive for things coming in and then going out (it is the part of the most expensives zones).
That was one of the reasons why I am not advertising my shop to cover the whole world.
If I was in a more central place, i'm sure my shop can be international and makes much more sales, as South Africa is really a tiny market :(