Table Tennis turns itself into an elite sport overnight (in England).

jkc

says You sent me the following PM which you didn't ask for a...

jkc

Nov 2010
Following last years debacle where TTE decided to concentrate their efforts in 4 geographic areas and thus exclude 90% of players from attending regional sessions, they have pulled off another masterstroke and decided to charge £1555 per year for kids to attend England Youth Squads (without which they cannot be selected to play for their country in any events). Thanks a lot, but we don't have that sort of money kicking around so we will battle away bravely on the outside for a while.

If you are considering getting your kids involved in the sport make sure you factor this into your thinking because unless you have the cash and you live in the correct area you will hit a brick wall at some stage in the future. I will certainly think twice before I get my daughter playing.

Discuss

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
I can testify to this. I had no support or any sort when I was growing up. Our nearest coaching sessions where a 90 minute drive away with a £5 charge when we got there.

Unfortunately, Table Tennis is one of those sports in the UK that relies on location.

I read the book Bounce by Matthew Syed. His story of playing TT growing up was incredible. I can't remember the exact facts, but the road in which he grew up provided 5 or 6 players who were national champions! This was all down to the fact that they lived a short walk from a 24/7 TT club with a coach who was willing to work with them.

Like it or not, success in table tennis is very much down to luck! Where do you live? Is there a coach near by? Were you born into a wealthy(ish) family?

Maybe this is the same for other sports as well though?

jkc

jkc

Nov 2010
Sounds about right to me.

Fred packed in playing tennis when he 7 because it was already obvious that the player who arrived at a tournament with the biggest bag and the biggest collection of spare racquets always won. Sadly TT seems to have gone the same way.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Following last years debacle where TTE decided to concentrate their efforts in 4 geographic areas and thus exclude 90% of players from attending regional sessions, they have pulled off another masterstroke and decided to charge £1555 per year for kids to attend England Youth Squads (without which they cannot be selected to play for their country in any events). Thanks a lot, but we don't have that sort of money kicking around so we will battle away bravely on the outside for a while.

If you are considering getting your kids involved in the sport make sure you factor this into your thinking because unless you have the cash and you live in the correct area you will hit a brick wall at some stage in the future. I will certainly think twice before I get my daughter playing.

Discuss

JKC, it appears that your Natl Assn has the same strain of drunken monkey virus.

As for your daughter, you get her to a level at or above your son's current level and send her to Korea, The lads there will pay for her stay and food easily. Guys would be drooling at the chance to see a regular in the club female foreigner who can play well. Heck, she could easily get a position coaching in English and she would attract enough business of the "Mom gotta send kid to anything English to get them an edge" crowd that the owner would be practically forced to make her a partner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
JKC, it appears that your Natl Assn has the same strain of drunken monkey virus.

As for your daughter, you get her to a level at or above your son's current level and send her to Korea, The lads there will pay for her stay and food easily. Guys would be drooling at the chance to see a regular in the club female foreigner who can play well. Heck, she could easily get a position coaching in English and she would attract enough business of the "Mom gotta send kid to anything English to get them an edge" crowd that the owner would be practically forced to make her a partner.

In the sport of TT, the best is to send kids to Asia for a few years. the 3 or 5 year growth in TT there will be more than double in your home country.
Unless, you are like the USA - where you bring Asia into the club (5 to 10 high level practice partners/coaches)

JKC, the reality is, if one chooses TT, one needs to make a lot of sacrafice. Money is just a little bit of that.
Have you considered the social time your kids will need to sacrafice?
Have you considered the hardship or maybe yours kids simply just can't be good enough to make it to the top?
There are way too many factors, and so what if they are number one in England? Can they make it to the Top in Europe? The world? with Asia being so strong??

One requires more than 20 hours of training (best is closer to 40) a week. For over 10 to 15 years before one can become pro.
It isn't easy. And what does a life of Pro mean for you? Just ask some of the Pro nowadays - who are barely making ends meet.

The above is all beyond your issues you see with national body. In fact, seriously, spending 1600 pounds a year for your kid is a bargain. In China, for you to get your kids into provincial teams - you need to pay a hell lot more. And in China, they earn 3 times less than Europe
Talk about regional issues in China? Same thing. Kids needs to leave the comfort of the home as young as 6 or 7 years old to live in a sports school that can be hundreds of miles from "home". And that is life until they become an adult.
Yes, you can go home - once a year, for 1 to 2 weeks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
JKC likely got that already, and he made a nice point. WHY is his Natl Assn making odd arbitrary EXPENSIVE requirements that the overwhelming majority cannot or will not support.

That is something wild and random a Drunken Monkey would do, or a well paid monkey would.

Maybe because TTE don't have money?

The fact and reality is - for any one to groom any kids to be an international sports person - well require lots of funding.

1600 pounds a year is really not much (I know this is only that TTE part, and much more expense can come out). I'm sure Ariel or Lily spends much more than that when they were 10 years old.
I saw a report from kids applying for sponsorship in Taiwan - "yearly budget required to get to national team". It works out to be around $15000 a year if I recall correctly. This includes equipment, coaching, overseas fees, tournaments - everything.

I wonder how much it will cost a parent to push they kids into football/soccer academies, cricket academies and become an international?
Good to know the cost with TT vs the rest of the sports in England.
If TT cost most - then that is a joke and kids should focus on other sports - soley based on a return of investment point of view.
But if TT cost a lot less, then we can debate further.

Here is the PDF for selection policy where that 1600 is mentioned. This was shared in another forum's thread that JKC started, am surprised it wasn't shared here yet: http://tabletennisengland.co.uk/wp-...nnis-England-Youth-Squad-Selection-Policy.pdf

Some kids/parents see TT as a school sport and will end it after school is done. Some are more serious (like JKC) who is looking at international and need to face the reality.

What is reality? "unless you have the cash and you live in the correct area you will hit a brick wall at some stage in the future." - so true in so many countries and so many sporting codes.

Fair debate should really be - TTE cost vs what you get in return.
Not TTE cost is not fair and full stop - without providing more information on other sports in the same country.

Last edited: