The old serve rules

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Can u post few videos of hidding serve???
And other illegal tricks :)

Lao Wa, what a f-king legend! He's the best player of all time! Do you have some more videos raazzz? :cool:

love the clip raazzz. do you have some more nice clips? seethat you use airoc m rubber. is it good? i'm looking for some new rubber. I got some recomendation of xiom rubber that i will try.

I really likes this video! Liu Guoliangs shows his amazing hidden serve and also a lot of spectacular points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
love the clip raazzz. do you have some more nice clips? seethat you use airoc m rubber. is it good? i'm looking for some new rubber. I got some recomendation of xiom rubber that i will try.

Yeah I have been playing with Airoc m 2.1 for a while now and it suits me great. I would definitely recommend you to give it a try!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Here are two more of the best hidden servers of all time, both at the peak of their powers. People already posted some of Waldner, the best ever, but Gatien was really good at it too. (The rallies in this match aren't that impressive because Waldner always played Gatien to avoid his forehand and not let him get a rhythm, because Gatien's forehand was the most dangerous of his era).

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
thanks. i'm a fan of softer rubber. do you know if airoc also have a soft version? if yes have you tried it?

Yes Airoc have a soft version, actually thinking of start using it on my bh. As a fan of soft rubbers i would highly recommend you to try it. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Gaaah! So frustrating! Some old dude came down to our practice today. I haven't seen him before but apparently he plays for some other club but has a summer house or something outside my city. Anyway, this guy comes down like he owns the place. Almost demanding to play without question.

Anyhow, we let him play of course, I play with a friend of mine and after like a half an hour, everybody starts playing matches. I win my first match against my friend and then I move upwards to the next table where this old fellow stands. We chit-chat for about 30 seconds, he seems nice and all. We talk some material, he shows my that he plays with long pimples on both sides, (I mean, who does that!!).

He wins the draw and starts to serve. I blink for about 0.0005 seconds and when I open my eyes the ball is already rolling on the floor behind me. That guy had no throw up what so ever! He looked at me then he served directly from his palm with his long pimples.

The match ended 2-0 for him, 11-3, 11-6. I was totally outplayed. But what he lived on was exclusively his wierd cheat serve...

Anyway, the gist is this. I don't like cover serves one bit!

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Bear in mind that not tossing the ball out of the hand is not the same as hiding the serve. Both are illegal now, but the no-toss serve has been illegal for a lot longer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Bear in mind that not tossing the ball out of the hand is not the same as hiding the serve. Both are illegal now, but the no-toss serve has been illegal for a lot longer.

I don't want to step on your toes but bear in mind that the title on this thread is "The old serve rules", meaning not just one old serve rule but plural. :cool:
No offense Sir.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
None taken. Definitely not a nice person.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Real old players have two things going for them that you prolly wont be able to change.

1) The spent years and decades doing that and it was a norm or expected.

2) They simply don't care and are too old to worry about what anyone thinks.

In a number of ways, WE are like that. Look at all the foolish stuff ITTF has changed and is filtered down to us. Would YOU change if ITTF made it mandatory to place the ball on top of your head, roll it down off your head when serving to totally abolish the serve toss when serving?

says Aging is a killer
You missed a great opportunity to learn

Gaaah! So frustrating! Some old dude came down to our practice today. I haven't seen him before but apparently he plays for some other club but has a summer house or something outside my city. Anyway, this guy comes down like he owns the place. Almost demanding to play without question.

Anyhow, we let him play of course, I play with a friend of mine and after like a half an hour, everybody starts playing matches. I win my first match against my friend and then I move upwards to the next table where this old fellow stands. We chit-chat for about 30 seconds, he seems nice and all. We talk some material, he shows my that he plays with long pimples on both sides, (I mean, who does that!!).

He wins the draw and starts to serve. I blink for about 0.0005 seconds and when I open my eyes the ball is already rolling on the floor behind me. That guy had no throw up what so ever! He looked at me then he served directly from his palm with his long pimples and low tossers.

The match ended 2-0 for him, 11-3, 11-6. I was totally outplayed. But what he lived on was exclusively his wierd cheat serve...

Anyway, the gist is this. I don't like cover serves one bit!

You should have been looking at this match as a learning experience, but your writing gives the impression that you couldn't be bothered.
Let's see, 3-11 in the first game shows that your own serves were not having any effect.
The player was an old man. He played with LP on both sides of his bat. This means that unlike the combination bat players, he had no looping attacks and his returns would have predictable spin.
He had enough dis-advantages that you should have done much better. You just need to be more positive in your attitude to such opponents.
It's tough, but we all have to pass this stage of being comfortable in our strategy against LP players.

Last edited: