First league match in 28 years

This user has no status.
Getting back playing in the league etc is the only way. I found this when I started again, I was very nervous all the time. I'm sure you'll get used to it again over time.
Fitness was my biggest problem!

I'm a pretty fit guy, I'm 42 but run 50/60 miles per week, workout 5/6 days and play TT 12 hrs a week, fitness isn't an issue but the golden eagles flying around inside my tummy are. 😀

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

says Back on TTD finally 🥳
Like you said, keep your nerves! As long as you keep cool, it'll be fine. You should definitely know, that after such a huge gap there is no need to win, so if you don't, do not be sad about it or angry with yourself. The more often you play competetive the better you'll get. Have fun and don't exaggerate but try to give your best :)
Let us know how it worked ;)

This user has no status.
I have no experience with coming back after such a long time, heck, i'm not even that old :p but i have experience in competition. I'ld say try to relax, you've got nothing to lose, so just go for it. I, personally focus more on tactics than technique, because when i start to focus on thechnique i generally become more frustrated when i miss a point. And don't linger in the past, last point was bad, no problem, next point. Last point was good, pump yourself up, but don't exgagerate. Also try to find your opponents weak points in the first set, it doesn't even matter if you don't win it, use lot's of variation to find out he has particular strengths you want to avoid in the rest of the match and weak points you can exploite. And last but not least, HAVE FUN, at the ned of the day, it's just a game

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think it is important to set your priorties and the reasoning why you are back into the league.
Is it for winning or for fun or for health or etc

I think it is important to know what your goals/priorities are, and after a while - say few months, you must look back to see if you have achieve this or not.
Don't give yourself unnecessary pressure and disappointment and always try to have some fun

Good luck

This user has no status.
Well I've played 2 league matches since I originally posted on this topic.
My first was a pretty tense affair for me and my natural game got a bit choked due to nerves.
I lost the first two games 3-0 but all the games were tight with no more than a 2 point margin.
I won my last game of the night 3-2 as the nerves subsided slightly and I was able to make most of my strokes correctly.
The second league match was completely different, the nerves were still there but I knew what to expect and i won my 3 matches by 3-0 scorelines.
Thanks for all the advice as it really helped 😀

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Hi
its my first league match ever on Thursday so I'm feeling the same
Andy

I play my first league match on Thursday night after a gap of 28 years.
Been back playing for just under a year and my game has come on in leaps and bounds but there is no substitute for proper competition.

As long as i control my nerves I should be fine.
Any tips or advice in this respect?
Thanks in advance

This user has no status.
Hi
its my first league match ever on Thursday so I'm feeling the same
Andy
The best advice I can offer Andy is to try and enjoy the games, don't focus too much on the outcome.
Play to enjoy and the results will take care of themselves.