Help!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Recently I've been getting more and more frustrated when I play matches. Not at my opponent will always acknowledge when they've played well, but at the same time I know they're people I should beat! Despite all the training I do, it just seems to disappear in matches. For example I played someone last week, won the first 11-5 saw the benefits of my training then snap I lost the next three, not due to him doing anything different but suddenly I couldn't hit the table and it went 4,6 and 8. Another tendency I tend to have is I end up always on the defence, my strength is attacking but its like I become so afraid of missing I have to go back before I attack! Quite often I find myself losing to those I should beat yet perhaps playing better against those better than me? I'm going to try post some videos and see if anyone can spot the difference between training and matched. But for now, here is a clip against someone you may recognise (yes I know in that video im playing a bit to upright).

This user has no status.
I know the feeling, one thing that seems to be working for me is to focus on the tactical point of the match rather than the technical. When you train you focus on your technique, once the match starts shift it towards tactics, the technique will follow sortoff natural (at least with me). Try to calm yourself down and believe in yourself, i know that's easier said than done, but you get the point. If you're game is attack, than attack when possible, but don't rush into your attack either, if the ball isn't good or you're out of balance, just wait one more shot, then go. You also shouldn't try to kill the point rightaway, there's nothing wrong with a rally, first loop with a lot of rotation, second a faster one.

This user has no status.
Yh, what Tristan says is true. And if I look at the video your good enough but I think you are just not confident enough to use it in matches. Like me when I just started competition. I always lost my first match, even against the weakest players. Just because I was playing too safe and let my opponent attack the ball and I couldnt attack what so ever. And because of that I always got soo frustrated about that that I took it on the rest of my opponents and beat them easily.

So play alot of practice matches and try to attack every long ball. This will get you used to taking the initiative and put yout opponent under pressure right away.

And when you serve try to think about what will happin next so if you sever short with backspin you will most likely get a push back which you can open up. When you serve fast and long to their backhand you will mostly get a block/counterhit back (If you serve fast enough) which you can attack easily.

Reactions: TTTristan