Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+ with Donic Vario rubber on FH/BH...Need comments please!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Hi Everyone. This is my first post on this forum.
I am an intermediate level player trying to improve my game both offense & defense and working on consistency on my strokes & returns. I ordered a new Donic racket with above combination (Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+ with Donic Vario rubber on FH/BH). The reason I this 1) with my budget 2) rubber and blade specs suggested 77/82/79 on rubber spin/speed/control and blade 76/74 for speed/control. I am not sure how correct or realistic these manufacturer specs are? I will be getting this racket next week.
Can someone please comment on my choice of blade and rubber for the level of player I am or I should have spent more money and should have got may "Yasaka Malin extra offensive with Tenergy05?
Thanks for your help in advance...

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Hi Everyone. This is my first post on this forum.
I am an intermediate level player trying to improve my game both offense & defense and working on consistency on my strokes & returns. I ordered a new Donic racket with above combination (Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+ with Donic Vario rubber on FH/BH). The reason I this 1) with my budget 2) rubber and blade specs suggested 77/82/79 on rubber spin/speed/control and blade 76/74 for speed/control. I am not sure how correct or realistic these manufacturer specs are? I will be getting this racket next week.
Can someone please comment on my choice of blade and rubber for the level of player I am or I should have spent more money and should have got may "Yasaka Malin extra offensive with Tenergy05?
Thanks for your help in advance...

The combo itself has by far the best placement precision i have ever seen.

The combo is about an OFF- to ALL+.

Don't expect amazing fast smashes with this, depending on your skill, chopping might be better ( It's AMAZING for chopping and the like too.)

It kind of does everything well, having insane ability to place shots in awkward places for the opponent.

So if you were expecting a speed machine (like a lot of people do), you might be disappointed. But it has AMAZING control.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
PS. The numbers you give out for the rubbers and blade are only 1.approximated;there is no unit of measurement for control, speed, or spin coefficient of a rubber that i know of. 2. Only relative to rubbers from the same company; an example was 729 rubbers having a speed rating of 120. I thought they were faster than tenergy when i started playing. -.-

This user has no status.
as said before, this won't be a speed demon, but i think that's ok. it seems like great blade for further developping your strokes and an allround style. i do not play with those rubbers, but a friend uses it on it's backhand, when we switch our rackets (for fun obviously) i feel really much control, wether it be chopping, flathitting or topspin, i put the balls where i want them without problem, only realy fast topspins seem to lack that little bit of power.

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Thanks Zed for your comments...appreciate it. feeling much better now on my decision picking on this combo. I think it will suit my style and what I am trying to improve. I do want my smashes to be with power and speed but I believe I can achieve that by improving my style.

Do let me know how you find it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In the end, what ever you play with, after you use it for a while, and get used to it, it starts feeling like the right thing for you and everything else you try is compared to what you have. This is in part why so many people who have setups that are probably too fast for their level don't realize that overall, in the end, they would be better off with something slower, that has more control, more dwell time, and better feeling so that they can learn to feel the ball on the racket and spin the ball better. You are doing the right thing by getting a setup that is not as fast with good control. When your technique is good, the power and speed comes from your technique. If your blade is too fast, you don't end up developing certain aspects of stroke technique because you don't need to follow through or really put your body into your shot when the blade makes the ball go so fast without those things.

So that setup is a great choice for developing your game. All wood blades with an All+ to Off- speed rating are better for players who are a lower level than a USATT rating of 2100. And to be 2100 you have to be a very decent level player.

The rubber also seems like it should be decent for your usage. Just play with it and enjoy. That will be a good setup for getting you up to the next level and more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Very helpful and encouraging comments....thanks
I received my setup yesterday and played couple of hours with it. It felt very different compared to my other setup. I lost some games just because of the new setup. I believe it will take some time for me to get used to of this new setup.
I must point out one thing though that I was happily surprised by the end of the play yesterday that my returns at a distance from the table were surprisingly much better and consistent. I cannot wait to play with it tomorrow.
Question: can anyone comment on a typical time a new setup takes to "break-in"?
Thank you all for your feedback and comment...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Very helpful and encouraging comments....thanks
I received my setup yesterday and played couple of hours with it. It felt very different compared to my other setup. I lost some games just because of the new setup. I believe it will take some time for me to get used to of this new setup.
I must point out one thing though that I was happily surprised by the end of the play yesterday that my returns at a distance from the table were surprisingly much better and consistent. I cannot wait to play with it tomorrow.
Question: can anyone comment on a typical time a new setup takes to "break-in"?
Thank you all for your feedback and comment...

How long it takes to get used to a new setup depends on a lot of variables. The first one is the person. Some people get used to different setups faster than others.

The second variable is how different the setup is from the previous setup. A few years ago, when I changed from Tenergy to Hurricane, it too me 3 weeks to get used to the difference because of how different Tenergy and H3 are. When I switched from Hurricane to Omega IV, it took me 10 min to get used to the change. When I changed from Omega IV to Sigma II it took about 10 min as well. And when I switched from Sigma II back to Tenergy that also took no time.

Switching from a racket like a Halex recreational racket to a racket that has good wood and real rubbers that will actually grab and spin the ball could take a few weeks to get used. Switching from a preassembled racket that is supposed to be of a higher quality to what you just got would be a little easier but still a challenge because what you got may be better than most preassembled rackets. If you were switching from short pips to high end smooth rubbers that would be hard. If you were switching from long pips to high end smooth rubber, that would be harder.

So, what were you using before you received your new weapon?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
How long it takes to get used to a new setup depends on a lot of variables. The first one is the person. Some people get used to different setups faster than others.

The second variable is how different the setup is from the previous setup. A few years ago, when I changed from Tenergy to Hurricane, it too me 3 weeks to get used to the difference because of how different Tenergy and H3 are. When I switched from Hurricane to Omega IV, it took me 10 min to get used to the change. When I changed from Omega IV to Sigma II it took about 10 min as well. And when I switched from Sigma II back to Tenergy that also took no time.

Switching from a racket like a Halex recreational racket to a racket that has good wood and real rubbers that will actually grab and spin the ball could take a few weeks to get used. Switching from a preassembled racket that is supposed to be of a higher quality to what you just got would be a little easier but still a challenge because what you got may be better than most preassembled rackets. If you were switching from short pips to high end smooth rubbers that would be hard. If you were switching from long pips to high end smooth rubber, that would be harder.

So, what were you using before you received your new weapon?

I was using STIGA SCEPTRUM with Stiga Primium rubber on both FH/BH, following were the specs:
Stiga Sceptrum 5 Star Table Tennis Bat Ping Pong
Type: 5 Star
Rubber: Premium smooth
Sponge Thickness: 2.0
Speed: OFF+
Speed:99
Spin: 100
Control:37

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was using STIGA SCEPTRUM with Stiga Primium rubber on both FH/BH, following were the specs:
Stiga Sceptrum 5 Star Table Tennis Bat Ping Pong
Type: 5 Star
Rubber: Premium smooth
Sponge Thickness: 2.0
Speed: OFF+
Speed:99
Spin: 100
Control:37

Okay, not too concerned with reading numbers. In comparison to the old setup, is the new rubber more grippy or less? Is the new rubber faster or slower? Does it have more control or less? Does it get more spin or less?

How about the blade? Is the new blade faster or slower? Does it have more or less control?

Your answers should be based on what you feel when you use it. Not someone else's numbers or what you think you should feel.

I want to know what you are having trouble getting used to.

Or are you already used to the new setup.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Okay, not too concerned with reading numbers. In comparison to the old setup, is the new rubber more grippy or less? Is the new rubber faster or slower? Does it have more control or less? Does it get more spin or less?

How about the blade? Is the new blade faster or slower? Does it have more or less control?

Your answers should be based on what you feel when you use it. Not someone else's numbers or what you think you should feel.

I want to know what you are having trouble getting used to.

Or are you already used to the new setup.
I think I am going through the transition of getting used to of the new setup. I am not worried at all, as a matter of fact, the new setup is giving me more confidence. Yesterday was second day playing with it, my returns are more controlled and better. Spin is better. The sound the blade makes when ball hits it,is different than my previous setup but other than that I love my new setup