Snake Serve by Brett Clarke

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Wow!

Guys I've been aced by this serve before (I'm talking clean air ace) so I'd like to get your thoughts. I'd be very keen to see you upload your own Snake Serve on youtube, put "Snake Serve" in the title and post here for review.

Yes, Brett is crazy.

That was one of the wackiest and funniest tt videos ever! Would love to meet the man in real life :)

Reactions: Pavol2223
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OK, I'm in...

Those serves are nasty. I also like the video on how to serve backspin.

I actually just sent this to a friend who I have been trying to get to stop moving her elbow forward when she serves. I have held her arm in place, but I think she will get it with the visual that the Japanese Ninja Backspin Service Assistant provides, and the restriction of the arm movement that it ensures.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't know @UpSideDownCarl , but just thought holding her arm might be more effective :p
Those serves are nasty. I also like the video on how to serve backspin.

I actually just sent this to a friend who I have been trying to get to stop moving her elbow forward when she serves. I have held her arm in place, but I think she will get it with the visual that the Japanese Ninja Backspin Service Assistant provides, and the restriction of the arm movement that it ensures.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Awesome video!!! I'll try my hand at this serve.

Any advice for pengrip players?

I'm no penhold expert, but it shouldn't be too different. At 2:30 in the video, I give a crude explanation regarding the contact and mechanics. Give it a try and, if you post the video, I'll comment for sure. Cheers, Brett

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hey Brett very nice I like it a lot, bu to be honest the snake serve is quite different move from reverse at the beginning. Of course you finish both serves the same way, but the most important thing is how you touch the ball (most receivers are learnt to watch only time when touching the ball). So with a reverse serve you just move your arm from your body to the right, while in the snake serve you first move your arm to your stomach to change the spin and then to the right to cheat your opponent. Of course it is easy to see in slow motion, but in regular not that easy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hey Brett very nice I like it a lot, bu to be honest the snake serve is quite different move from reverse at the beginning. Of course you finish both serves the same way, but the most important thing is how you touch the ball (most receivers are learnt to watch only time when touching the ball). So with a reverse serve you just move your arm from your body to the right, while in the snake serve you first move your arm to your stomach to change the spin and then to the right to cheat your opponent. Of course it is easy to see in slow motion, but in regular not that easy.

Hey Sali, Correct, if you slow it down or look closely, you'll see the inward wrist movement. As I explained in the video, the aim is to get the feeling of having your wrist coming in as your arm is going out or around. This is what creates the illusion. I have no doubt you can see differences in the 2 serves, because they are there for sure. Cheers, Brett

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I love the videos. Great serves. Very funny and helpful tips.

Regarding the snake serve, I don't think it's very deceptive about spin, but since the arm movement is quite similar to the reverse serve, it will catch the opponent off guard and when he realize the spin, it would be too late. Even if it cannot help you win points directly, having 2 different serves with similar movements will affect the opponent's anticipation.

Thank you so much for sharing, Brett! Hope you will have more videos soon.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Regarding the snake serve, I don't think it's very deceptive about spin, but since the arm movement is quite similar to the reverse serve, it will catch the opponent off guard and when he realize the spin, it would be too late. Even if it cannot help you win points directly, having 2 different serves with similar movements will affect the opponent's anticipation.

Hi iammaru, This is absolutely right. With the snake I do however try to catch the ball close to the top of the bat to get "kick" so they have less time to work out what happened. As you said though, it's all about the illusion and not so much the spin. Cheers, Brett