Snake Serve by Brett Clarke

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
It's very good for learners to see the common mistakes. But even in that your contact and timing is really good.. wish I could match that to start with.

Okay, how about this for a theory. If one was to just practice every common mistake, they would improve the overall stability of their stroke?

I know in my heart I shouldn't push the "Post Quick Reply" button, but I can't resist.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, how about this for a theory. If one was to just practice every common mistake, they would improve the overall stability of their stroke?

I know in my heart I shouldn't push the "Post Quick Reply" button, but I can't resist.

Hahaha. I like it. I wish I could get that good just by practicing the wrong way to do the strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Brett, to react on your theory:
Once read an article on training diversity, which proclaimed a mix of both correct and deliberate practice of "wrong" or at least other movements in order to teach the motoric muscle memory in both ways. This would improve the time it takes to learn the correct movement. To a certain extent I follow this principle, when I do robot training. I find this the perfect way to experiment with certain elements like backswing, forward swing, wrist movement, bat angle etc. I change one of these elements gradually during a drill, to find out what the impact is on the quality of the shot.

Some article here to explain the basics:
http://www.blogs.uni-mainz.de/fb02-sport/files/2014/05/tws_dtfussball.pdf

And another scientific one for the hardcore trainers
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j...9sQP_eDlvOnrWRGr9wYdBow&bvm=bv.90491159,d.cGU

Kudoos for the person who translates above article to table tennis specific drills....:D

So in conclusion: YES.....If one was to practice ALSO every common mistake in a varied way, they would improve the overall stability of their stroke !
But somehow most people find this hard to belief.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Brett, to react on your theory:
Once read an article on training diversity, which proclaimed a mix of both correct and deliberate practice of "wrong" or at least other movements in order to teach the motoric muscle memory in both ways. This would improve the time it takes to learn the correct movement. To a certain extent I follow this principle, when I do robot training. I find this the perfect way to experiment with certain elements like backswing, forward swing, wrist movement, bat angle etc. I change one of these elements gradually during a drill, to find out what the impact is on the quality of the shot.

Some article here to explain the basics:
http://www.blogs.uni-mainz.de/fb02-sport/files/2014/05/tws_dtfussball.pdf

And another scientific one for the hardcore trainers
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j...9sQP_eDlvOnrWRGr9wYdBow&bvm=bv.90491159,d.cGU

Kudoos for the person who translates above article to table tennis specific drills....:D

So in conclusion: YES.....If one was to practice ALSO every common mistake in a varied way, they would improve the overall stability of their stroke !
But somehow most people find this hard to belief.

Thanks for the post hopper. Some heavy reading there!

I've used this type of training with various players that probably thought I had lost my mind. I've had players deliberately hitting the ball off the end of the table and then into the net as I believed these experiences would help them for various reasons. Warning...you need a lot of trust to try this stuff on students.

The book "Inner Skiing" by Tim Gallwey has a good learning example and I have tried to adapt the concept to table tennis in my own way. It's funny because I was chatting about this this morning with someone before reading your post.

Robots are interesting right, as you can try stuff you would never try with a training partner as bots don't get angry. I feel I've learned a lot about the learning process from messing with robots too. I plan to make a few videos about using a robot productively.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
I've also been thinking about getting a cheap robot as I feel you can learn so much more by simply installing it on your average dining table. Get 200 training balls and start practicing anything you desire from serve returns, to smashes, to aiming at small targets. Best of all you can practice any time, any day you want for FREE! No need to call your friend or visit the TT hall at weird hours. Plus, think about how wonderful would be to warm up before a tournament and just go in there like a boss. What's your opinion on this guy? Good suggestion?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
I've also been thinking about getting a cheap robot as I feel you can learn so much more by simply installing it on your average dining table. Get 200 training balls and start practicing anything you desire from serve returns, to smashes, to aiming at small targets. Best of all you can practice any time, any day you want for FREE! No need to call your friend or visit the TT hall at weird hours. Plus, think about how wonderful would be to warm up before a tournament and just go in there like a boss. What's your opinion on this guy? Good suggestion?

Robots have lots of advantages and disadvantages. I think using them for serve return is a great idea, providing you understand how the serve would be hit by an actual opponent. Above all, if you will enjoy hitting some balls on your dining room table, how can you lose? Especially if you then go to tournaments like a boss!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Thanks for the comments guy...I really appreciate the feedback. I will post what I think is a fairly interesting video on the weekend.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here's a new serving video that may help you to get more spin

This video is really good. That play with getting the whipping action from the wrist as part of that small movement from the forearm is really good to see. Also, the demonstrations of bad timing for backswing in comparison to good timing to get the wrist whip instead of having the racket waiting before starting, is really good to see.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
This video is really good. That play with getting the whipping action from the wrist as part of that small movement from the FH is really good to see. Also, the demonstrations of bad timing for backswing in comparison to good timing to get the wrist whip instead of having the racket waiting before starting, is really good to see.

Thanks UpSideDownCarl,

I've found that a large percentage of learning adults make the mistake of starting the swing way too early, so hopefully this video will help.

Cheers, Brett

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Thanks UpSideDownCarl,

I've found that a large percentage of learning adults make the mistake of starting the swing way too early, so hopefully this video will help.

Cheers, Brett

https://youtu.be/IeuRbOlkGS8?t=33s

This is a video of me serving quite some years ago. Watching it now, I suppose I must throw the ball better (make it land closer to my belly perhaps?) and I didnt let the ball to my palm but in the middle are of my fingers and palm.

I have corrected this through the years and I have realized that after I throw the ball, the serve+getting to ready position should be one fluent motion and I found that if I synchronize my legs with the path of the ball (lifting when the ball is up and then getting down at moment of contact) makes it much easier for me to turn for the next shot)

I noticed that most pro players, shift their weight from back leg to front leg. The weight is on the back leg on the starting position of the serve before the toss, and at the moment of contact they fall either on the front or both legs getting a firm ready position with open and bent legs

What do you think brett, it would be nice to make a video about the "serve+getting ready" issue