What glue do you use to glue new rubbers to your bat?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
I have a question. If you use speed glue just to attach the rubbers to the blade just once (the first time). Will that affect the rubbers if we wait few days with the rubbers on the blade ? In others words, can we use speed glue like normal VOC glue just to assemble the bat and play normally after the effects are gone after few days ?
Apparently, it's OK to do that but I'd like to be sure. I've never used speed glue before.
Thanks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, speed glue makes the sponge expand. Then you cut the rubber onto the blade and the rubber has expanded several mm larger than it would be. Then the speed glue wears off and the sponge shrinks back to the normal size and you have a rubber glued onto your blade that is too small for the blade.

Aside from that, it would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: John18
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are welcome. I guess there is one other thing. Expanding the sponge does usually make the rubber play better while the sponge is expanded. But when it shrinks back to normal size, because it has been stretched out and then the tension has been released, it plays a little more dead because the rubber will not have as much tension as it had before the sponge expanded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Yes, it's an old can of speed glue because I don't have normal glue anymore but it's just to attach some cheap rubbers to a cheap blade so I'll give it a try. I'll try not to put too much layers on the rubbers. Thanks.

This user has no status.
Two things here:

1) the use of speed glue to glue your rubbers on your bat is banned by the ITTF, even if you let it rest (3.02.04: Racket coverings can only be attached to the racket blade with adhesives that do not contain harmful volatile solvents). Although I personally don't care (see point below)

2) I actually use speed glue on some rubbers when they have shrunk. You buy them, glue them with WBG, cut them, and when you want to transfer them or if they need re-glueing, they're too small. I use speed glue then to expand BACK to their initial size. Works a treat.

says Aging is a killer
Olio, what do you understand from ITTF technical leaflet number 4 dated Sept 2014

"3.1.
Solvents
Manufacturers should expose rackets or sandwich rubber combinations to air before packing them
to remove volatile solvents which they utilise during their processes players should similarly air their
rackets for up to 72 hours in order to remove the solvents left over from the production process or
their own gluing".

says Aging is a killer
To me T4 acknowledges that the rule is not practicable or enforceable both for technical and other reasons. The ITTF is asking for players to go with the spirit.
So basically glue with rubber cement, or WBG, or even VOC (non-speed glue) as long as it would pass the VOC test in theory. I say theory as I haven't seen a VOC tester at any English tournament for a few years, even at the nationals.
Personally, I don't think any player is using old-style speed glue. Boosters, yes, but not sg.
I don't boost but I still use an old can of VOC normal glue that I had from before the ban. I do this as I believe that WBG is harmful to the wood over the long term.
BTW, all my blades are over 30 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D