Defense Setup Help Please!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I would like some help with a defense setup, I have pretty much already decided the actual equipment but I have some queries which I would seek some recommendations from defense aficionados:

FH: Tenergy 64 1.9mm thickness (I have an old sheet lying around so yeah I am very happy with this)
BH: Tibhar Grass D tech (long pips) no sponge (I was given this today by a friend to try out)
Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk

I know there are other possible options but I have both rubbers and just to order need the blade. By the way, I have already tried the above blade and similar rubbers from a friend so I am sure I want to try this.

1. I know Joo Se Hyuk is a pretty heavy blade in the range 95-105 grams, I play normal attacking setup both sides inverted rubber with blade 90+ grams anyway. Obviously Grass D Tech is a lot lighter than say a Tenergy 64 on the BH. For defense beginners, what weight range for the total setup would you recommend? When I order Joo Se Hyuk blade should I ask for say either a 95 gram blade or closer to the 105 gram range?

2. Is there anything I should know when I glue the long pips to the blade, is it any different to gluing inverted rubber? Normally I use Donic Vario to glue my inverted rubbers.

I am fairly experienced club level player, I would hazard a guess at the 1900-2000 USATT level. I am a two wing looper, I try defense mainly just for fun. I know some people will say stick with one method of play, not good to try different things as it affects technique, I am just doing this mainly for fun and to try out. As I said I am definitely using the above rubbers and blade, so no need to suggest different equipment, just the two questions above bother me.

Thanks so much for your help!

This user has no status.
1. I never felt that there is a weight range for defensive setup's. Usually your pips rubber is much lighter then any inverted rubber so a defensive setup is always going to be lighter than double inverted.

2. Gluing OX rubbers can be a pain in the ass so I recommend watching some OX gluing videos first to prepared.

Here are some tricks you can try.